• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help htc desire

hi everyone i was wondering if some one out there can help me urgent iv a htc desire and silly me messing around with the phone as a new toy have totally broke it by wiping everything on the phone:( now when i switch it back on it desides just to stay on the htc screen and wont do anything else so i was hopeing that some clever ppl out there knows wat there doing and can help me by trying to send me into the right place to install orginal firmware to get it back up and running again :eek:

OK, factory resets and wiping cache wouldn't have done this, but "format system" was unwise in the extreme. Why did you do this?

Anyway, you've wiped your ROM, which is why it won't boot. So the first thing you need to do is get back into recovery. What comes next depends on what else you had done previously.

• If you have a recovery backup (nandroid) then it's easy: just select backup/restore from the recovery menu and restore
  • If you were using a custom ROM, and the zip file is still on your SD card, then just reflash the zip
  • If neither of the above, you need to get a ROM zip and flash that. Download one from XDA - Jammy has a thread here which has links to most of them. You need to get it onto the SD card then - easy if you have a card reader, otherwise try connecting the phone to the computer and mounting from recovery ("mounts and storage", then "mount usb storage"). Once the zip is on the SD card, flash as in point 2 above.

Edit:
Add instructions for mounting SD on USB from recovery.

Reactions: Casual Pete
Upvote 0
thanks for you help but is there instructions that guide you through it and which 1s do i use to install it
OK, you haven't said whether you'd taken a nandroid, i.e. made a backup from recovery, but I'll assume you didn't. So first lesson: once you've got your phone working again, take one before doing any more fiddling, because they save a lot of hassle! If by any chance you have, ignore what follows and just use the nanadroid.

If you don't have a backup, you'll need to flash a ROM. You can pick your own, but just to get you a working phone try this one. There are several download links in the first post of that thread - just choose one of the ones without a radio, e.g. "Download 2.29.405.5 ROM". This should be very similar to the original HTC software, which is what I assume you had (because if you'd already flashed a ROM you'd presumably know how to do it - unless you've been using ROM manager, in which case, please don't ;)).

Once you have the zip file, copy it onto your SD card - either use a card reader or attach the phone to the computer and mount it as in my previous long post. unmount from usb once the file is copied completely.

Once you have the file on your SD card, from the top menu of clockwork recovery select the "install zip from SD card" option. Then "choose zip from SD card" (or is it "select zip..." - can't remember). Then select the zip file you just copied to your card. It will ask you to confirm (screen with lots of "no"s and just one "install ....."). Confirm, sit back and let it do its stuff.

Once you get the menu back, select the option to reboot the phone. The first boot may take a long time, so don't panic - a lot of stuff has to be built the first time you boot after a new rom installation. 10 mins is quite possible, don't panic until it's > 20.

That should then give you a phone running vanilla HTC sense software. It won't have any of your apps or data, because you've already wiped those, but if you took a titanium or mybackup backup you can reinstall that from the market and then restore your data (as long as you didn't format the SD card as well!).

Reactions: alankitchen1977
Upvote 0
Glad it's working - I know how stressful these things are. :D

Seriously, when you've got it all set up (and if the battery isn't too low) go back into recovery, select "backup and restore" and make a backup. You can make another at any time, so make sure you have an up-to-date one before doing any serious fiddling. They are quite large, but I usually keep at least 2 on my card (my most recent one and one older one). If anything goes badly wrong, you can go into recovery, restore the backup, and your phone is back in the state it was in when the backup was made in just a couple of minutes. It's saved most of us at some point or another!

Upvote 0
Visit the root subforum before doing any more serious fiddling.

The recovery backup is good for recovering the phone if it's in a serious mess. For changing ROMs and transferring your apps and data between them you need a different type of backup - Titanium is the solution most use, MyBackup is perhaps a bit more user-friendly for things like messages and call logs.

Upvote 0
another question for you as you help really good yesterday now is there away to take the phone back to orginal as if it was taken out of the box is there a way i could do that or is there a better stable running firmware that works great its the first time iv ever messed with these phones iv messed around with others but this is a first i would like to have orginal stuff back on the phone

Upvote 0
Unless your phone was originally branded (i.e. had network specific themes/apps) that ROM should be very similar indeed to the original - the one I linked is based on the most recent unbranded stock firmware. Main difference is that it's been made a little more flexible (compatible with init.d scripts), so some extra modifications can be made. But if you don't make them, there should be very little difference indeed.

If you really want the original software back I think Jammy's already given you a link to a thread with various RUUs. The trick is to identify the one you want. The link "RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.29.405.5_Radio_32.49.00. 32U_5.11.05.27_release" is the version that ROM is based on. A lot of them are quite old though. The site shipped ROMs has a good selection, but downloads are not always reliable - beware of them not completing. If you search this and the root forum you should turn up some other links.

If you want to use an RUU for a different version of the phone (e.g. to use an unbranded RUU on a phone that was originally branded) you will need a "goldcard". Look in the rooting FAQ in SUroot's sig.

Remember that an RUU will unroot and wipe the phone, as well as installing stock firmware. It's good to have one downloaded though, as a last resort for fixing serious problems or if you want to put the software back to standard before returning for a warranty repair.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones