• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Droid Eris Cause Code: 97 Error Class: 2 on Verizon?

Hello all I need a little bit of help. Not sure if the phone if causeing the problem of the network. (aka. Verizon)

So I got lucky enough to have a friend who set me up with a free HTC Droid Eris on his Verizon wireless plan. Long story short he bought the phone for his ex-girlfriend a month or two ago and caught her sending nude photos to other guys with it. He took it back and it was going to cost him $300 to cancel the phone. I was in the market for a new (and cheap) cell phone. He gave the phone to me and is only chargeing me $35 a month to use it.

The problem I am running into is I keep getting errors while sending text messages. It doesn't do it all the time, but it usually happens every day. While the text messsages are acting up I can't make calls either, but I can recieve them... sometimes. I've been told it goes directly to voicemail, but I've recieved calls while it was doing it as well. When I try to make a call I get forwarded to an automatic Verizon server saying, "We can not authenticate your phone please call blah blah." When I call they can't do anything other then tell me my phone is working properly and they can't help further because I am not the account owner. The problem is it has never acted up when he is around so I can't get the solution fixed.

The only information I have found on the internet and from talking directly to Verizon is is pull the battery out and wait a few minutes. IT DOESN"T WORK! Another thing I would like to note is while the SMS and phone calls are acting up I have no problems checking e-mail or useing the internet browser. I'm not connected to a Wi-Fi network either. ALSO, when I try to send a message the 3G icon in the notification bar chanced to 1x and then the messages pops up. It happens everytime, which might have something to do with it?

As for the Cause Code and Error Class I haven't found a single helpful thing regarding them on Google.

If it doesn't stop I'm just going to give the phone back.

Thanks ahead of time.

Update: So I was looking around again and found this thread... "Verizon is unable to authenticate your phone" message after upgrade - PPCGeeks

In there is suggests that after a hard reset of a phone you need to have your phone reauthenticated by your carrier. Before I got that phone we had to do the volume down, send, end buttons while turning it on to completely restore the phone. His ex wouldn't give us the password to unlock the phone. The only way to use it again was to wipe it clean. :( Maybe this has something to do with it? Not sure why it would work sometimes, but not other times. Looks like I'll have to get with him this weekend when I head back home.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones