HTC M8 - recipient can't hear me whilst using speaker-phone!General

1. trev260764

trev260764 New Member

Hi! The recipient can't hear me whilst using hands-free speaker-phone on my HTC M8 - they can whilst using the phone normally though... Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. TooHip

TooHip Member

I would guess this is mostly likely a hardware issue. If you take it to your providers store, they will probably want to do a factory reset to rule out any software issues. I had this exact issue with a previous VZW Android phone. They eventually replaced it. YMMV.
  3. Rhyalus

Rhyalus Member

Could it be that you are connected via bluetooth to something?

R
  4. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Maybe your phone is clad in a protective case that is blocking or partially covering the microphone(s)?

Any water exposure?

If it were me, I remove any cases or covers and would try booting into Safe Mode and then running the Audio Diagnostic Test prior to trying to return it or take it to a store. The Audio Test will test your speakers and microphones for playback ability.

Safe Mode will run your phone with all 3rd party applications disabled, on a more clean configuration.

Ensure that Fast Boot is turned off in your Power Settings
    Power the phone down and wait for it to be fully turned off for a minute or two
    Power the phone back on
    When you see the HTC Boot screen immediately press and hold down the 'volume down' hardware key on the right side of the phone. Hold it until the phone completes start up, and you see the words "Safe Mode" displayed in the lower left corner of your lock/home screen.

Then go into your phone dialer, like you are calling someone, and instead Dial *#*#3424#*#* (3424=DIAG) to access HTC's Diagnostic Test application (HTC Function Test v.44.60.10g).
    Press 'Accept' when prompted. Within this menu select 'Audio Test', press the Run button, and then follow the on screen prompts. If you hear playback after recording from both microphones you can almost rule out a hardware failure.

To get out of Safe Mode simply power off and power on your phone as normal.
    Granite1 likes this.
  5. trev260764

trev260764 New Member

Cheers guys, as mentioned the phone works fine in 'normal' mode, so microphone is fine. Bluetooth is off, and no case fitted.

Microphone simply seems to be turned-off when using speaker-phone. Will try safe-mode and report-back!!
  6. thicks56

thicks56 Well-Known Member

Is it that they cant hear you at all or just reduced quality/volume?

Mine gets almost a feedback sound sometimes when on speaker phone which reduces the amount the caller can hear me but they can still hear me just.
  7. trev260764

trev260764 New Member

Nothing at all! It did work at one stage, thinking about it, it may have happened after the last software upgrade...
  8. mruno

mruno Well-Known Member

take it in and get it exchanged