HTC mail vs Google Mail - HTC app not playing notification sound?

Last Updated:

1. SFA_AOK

SFA_AOK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Wondered what people's thoughts were on the mail apps that come with the phone? I've been using the HTC app, but have noticed that after a day or so the notification sound stops playing when I receive an email. This happened for anyone else?

Anyone tried both apps for any length of time and have strong opinions over which app is better? I saw a review that said the HTC app is better but the Google one doesn't seem too bad to me... Anyone using the Google app that would care to chime in?

Advertisement
  2. ziggy

ziggy Well-Known Member

both are ok.

on my htc the trackball has stopped glowing when i get email on gmail but still glows when using htc mail.

im on my second hero due to reception issues (which hasnt been resolved btw) and this happened on first hero too

3. cintra

cintra Active Member

I stopped using HTC Mail as it was dragging the battery down..

4. Fleming

Fleming Member

I thought it was the other way round. You can configure the HTC app to check for emails at certain intervals, while the Gmail app uses push, so keeps a constant connection. Surely the HTC app is more battery friendly?

5. hatch

hatch Member

Having read your post yesterday I checked the 2 apps...both work fine but the standard HTC pp doesn't cater for labels in Gmail and doesn't even see them as folders.

Stick to the Gmail app, a lot better!

6. SFA_AOK

Notification sound on the HTC app definitely not working right, I'm switching to the default app (sound working for now) for a few days and seeing how I get on...

7. SFA_AOK

Hmm must be the notification sound that's the problem - turned off the HTC mail app and have been running the Gmail app and the notification sound stopped playing after a few hours.

8. SFA_AOK

Think this (or similar) is the cause. The bug report linked to in that bug report is marked as "Future Release" and someone has said "Improvements have been made and will be in a future release" but that was back in January. I would have hoped that it would have been a part of Cupcake? Maybe it's not been released yet, the status hasn't been updated but then again, it may be because the "fix" was released but someone hasn't updated the bug?

Roll on Donut?

9. humbug

humbug Member

Another vote for the Gmail app here.

The HTC app didn't seem to be as easy-to-use.. all razzle-dazzle but not that great functionality.

10. SFA_AOK

One thing that the HTC app had going for it - multi touch zoom on HTML emails. Can't see any zoom options on the Google App. But apart from that, so far, so good!