• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sense put to shame

oh look, my thread got revived :)

So since I started this thread, I was able to evaluate both ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro. I ended going back to stock Sense launcher for a while because I experienced some issues with both (lag and FC's).

But periodically, I'd get the launchers again to see if issues were resolved. After more thorough use, I decided that I preferred ADW Launcher the most. It's a personal preference based on how I use my phone.

Recently, I decided to stick with ADW launcher permanently, running it on top of Sense. The reason I make this distinction is because I also recently tried an AOSP ROM that used ADB Launcher, and I really missed Sense. It's hard to appreciate how pervasive Sense is until you don't have it at all. ADW Launcher gives me the AOSP look and feel, but I have access to all my Sense apps. Sense widgets, no, but I have found decent replacements.

Both ADW Launcher and LauncherPro run a lot more smoothly than the stock Sense launcher. By "smoothly" I'm referring to the homescreen scrolling, app drawer scrolling, and any other animations the UI performs. Also, ADW does not FC at all for me anymore. The app is updated regularly, which is good. LauncherPro has never FC'd on me since I first tried it. Both are pretty solid launchers in my book.

Upvote 0
Reactions: pcsperson
Upvote 0
You want cool....Take a look at this! This would make me say WOW!

Pay no attention to that playful UI behind the Google Maps curtain (video) - Engadget

Eye candy for sure, but way too gaudy for me. Also, the touchscreen responsiveness in that video is horrendous. The finger moves, and the animation is struggling to keep up with the finger. It's what I call the "slipping on ice" effect. The stock Evo is plagued by this as well. Custom kernel fixes the problem.

Upvote 0
Until a few minutes ago, I was a fan of HTC sense. But only because I had never tried any other home/launcher apps. Through reading several threads here, I learned about ADW Launcher and Launcher Pro. I downloaded both and tried them out. Wow. It's amazing how customizeable these home apps are. If you haven't tried them, you really should.

Sense is nice, and it comes with decent widgets, but it is pretty rigid. Makes me rethink the need for custom roms that include Sense....
You are entitled to your own opinion. But honestly they copy Sense. I can live without 1000 thousands settings. I do like ADW but to much customization. Its over kill on settings. And Im not rooted so I like Sense widgets. The launchers are not worth losing my widgets. And lets be honest again. Those Launchers are kind of sketchy. but again I do like ADW but not with all the settings. Sense maybe kind of boring but it just works for me.

Reactions: awrnsmn
Upvote 0
Sense on the EVO works just fine for me. I don't know how fast you really need to slide screens back and forth. It's like when people complain that they can't scroll a web page in milliseconds, I mean you must be able to read a lot faster than I can. If anything some things scroll too fast and easily. I'm happy for you that you found an alternative you like better but I'd imagine that most people are perfectly happy with Sense and aren't even aware that is different than any other Android phone or that there are alternative launchers. I'm not against aftermarket launchers, I used one on my WinMo phone. In fact I'm using Launch-x Pro on my home screen of the EVO to put 20 icons in the place of 8 stock ones. Lots of choices to fit whatever anyone wants to do. Android=freedom of choice.

Upvote 0
maybe you recent posters don't realize that my OP was from a month ago. But in my recent post today, I stated:

Recently, I decided to stick with ADW launcher permanently, running it on top of Sense. The reason I make this distinction is because I also recently tried an AOSP ROM that used ADB Launcher, and I really missed Sense. It's hard to appreciate how pervasive Sense is until you don't have it at all. ADW Launcher gives me the AOSP look and feel, but I have access to all my Sense apps. Sense widgets, no, but I have found decent replacements.
So I've basically concluded that I still prefer sense. Actually, what I'm saying is that a month ago, I didn't realize what was Sense and what wasn't. The launcher is only a very small component of Sense, and the only part you can reliably run custom without breaking other Sense components.

In another thread, I detailed trying to remove the Sense lock screen, and that opened up a big can of worms. My Sense alarm clocks couldn't interface with the sense lock screen, and so I had no way to shut off the alarm. When I got a call, I could not answer it from the Android lock screen. I had to unlock to answer the call.

As other posters have said: Sense does the job. It is solid and reliable. There may be alternative apps that do better, but you can't modularize Sense; it's all or nothing. I've tried "nothing" and I've tried something in between. Now I'm back to "all" with a custom launcher on top.

Upvote 0
I'd use Launcher pro if it wasn't so glitchy/laggy.
LP was glitchy for me until I modified a couple of the advanced settings. Now it runs perfectly -- no more redraws, and scrolling is smoooth, completely happy with it. The customizable dock and swipe gestures are awesome, and the LP Pro widgets replicate the HTC ones nicely (I use bookmarks and the calendar).

Upvote 0
I'm running launcher pro but think people overrate it. When I bring up app drawer half of my apps aren't there sometimes, widgets don't load sometimes, and haven't seen any noticeable difference in performance. Also htc sense home screen weather widget looks better

I do like how if you turn your phone sideways ur home screens and apps will too and love the scrollable dock. If htc sense had the dick I'd be running sense

These are the reasons why Im using OpenHome. With openhome there are plenty of themes/iconpacks/skins to keep me happy. Plus, i love the slide out dock it has.

I do have LauncherPro installed, but i havent had the time to make my own icons or go through countless of icons from other sites. Just too customizable for me at the moment.

Upvote 0
LP was glitchy for me until I modified a couple of the advanced settings. Now it runs perfectly -- no more redraws, and scrolling is smoooth, completely happy with it. The customizable dock and swipe gestures are awesome, and the LP Pro widgets replicate the HTC ones nicely (I use bookmarks and the calendar).
what advanced settings are you using? I would like to atleast try this Launcher for a couple of days. I downloaded some icons, but its just lags to me.

Upvote 0
Quite honestly, the only thing I don't like about Sense is that it doesn't adjust for landscape viewing. That's the SAME thing I hated about TouchFlo3D (Basically, the parent UI that turned into Sense UI). HTC really needs to get on the ball with that.

I use LauncherPro when I'm at work and have my phone on the kickstand and charging. Makes it easy for me to check emails and texts quickly without having to pick up my phone. I had originally set LauncherPro up primarily to use for the car, but then I was led to a great Car Dock app that works perfectly for what I needed. So, LauncherPro became my dedicated "work" UI.

Overall, between the three, I'm really indifferent because they all have their advantages. I just hope that HTC eventually figures out how to get Sense UI to work in landscape mode. If they do, I don't think I'd really need a secondary launcher.

Reactions: The Dorian
Upvote 0
Sorry, but noobs don't want to be screwing around. They seem to find all the functionality they need with Sense, without force closes, betas, and head scratching.

First of all, I would never try to assume that I know what any particular group of people "want", much less stereotype any group of people by the length of time they have used a device, but having said that, it is anyone's personal choice whether they use Sense as their launcher, or include all three (Sense, ADW, LP) as I do. It is just really nice to have choices.:)

PS-I don't have any problems with force closes with any of the three.

Upvote 0
maybe you recent posters don't realize that my OP was from a month ago....

It's my fault, I revived an old thread :) Only because I just got my Incredible last week and have been reading up on a lot of things on the board about different things so I can learn :D

Pure Messenger works reasonably well, though with the way Fede is pumping out widgets, I would not be surprised to see one built into LP soon.

Thanks! I saw someone mentioned that earlier too...I'm going to check it out!

Upvote 0
No fault here. Just wanted people to know that my view since then has changed - my understanding improved :)

I've found this all VERY helpful and informative.

Many thanks to you and the others on this page!!!

I watched the whole 9 minute HTC video before getting my Evo - and until this page of posts, I've still never been 100% clear on what parts go to launchers vs. widgets vs. apps.

I'm too satisfied with Sense and too short on time to see if I wouldn't like something better - but - we're considering an Epic at my house for my wife. I'm glad to finally understand all of this - because frankly, I find that entire UI as ugly as rain on a vacation.

Here's that Sense video - I munged the url because I don't want to make the call that that embedded version belongs in this thread - novox, if you or one of other good guys here feel it does, I'll leave that y'all.

www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=meBGJ_2f8RU

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones