• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Weather Widget broken???

Mine was stuck on United Kingdom for most of last week but since yesterday it is just 'Current location' without any weather at all :(

I'm beginning to think the problem may now be with my local antenna not transmitting the location properly. I've had an app called Antennas installed for months and it's always been able to pinpoint the location of my nearest one on a map. When I tried yesterday it failed to find it at all :thinking:

Upvote 0
Mine seemed to get a little better on Friday.

Cardiff is still as accurate as ever, e.g. shows info for all different parts of the city fairly precisely.

But I work in Cwmbran and when the widget went all weird all I was getting up there was the 'United Kingdom' reading. On friday it got a bit better and read Cwmbran, which is obviously a lot more precise, but not as precise as it used to be, as it gave the name of the industrial estate I work on.

I the reply quoted above this almost certainly is down to something being changed in the provider database. Looks like they're slowly fixing it though.

Upvote 0
Mine was stuck on United Kingdom for most of last week but since yesterday it is just 'Current location' without any weather at all :(

I'm beginning to think the problem may now be with my local antenna not transmitting the location properly. I've had an app called Antennas installed for months and it's always been able to pinpoint the location of my nearest one on a map. When I tried yesterday it failed to find it at all :thinking:

Yep it MUST be the data coming from the antennas and the effect is quite random.
I was travelling around yesterday as a passenger in a car an was able to keep an eye on the widget and manually refresh it frequently
Starting off in my home cell near Bradford on Avon I only had to go 1/2 mile North before it read Melksham.
We had to go a good 10 miles East before it changed from UK to Bath - and reliably stayed there.

If this is the case why or how is my Google mobile homepage accuately describing my current location at all times - including my home location:thinking:

Upvote 0
This is the main widget displayed on every bit of PR for HTC phones sold across the world. It's fair to say that this is a fairly high profile and embarrasing failure for their hardware and brand image. I certainly have been called a few times by colleagues when showing off the Desire about the vague weather widget location and I'm fairly sure HTC won't be selling to them any time soon. I personally find it difficult to counter the 'everything just works' attitude of the Apple crowd when you are presented with basic disfunctionality like this.

It's hard to think of another company that that could ignore customers experiences and press reports for so long and still have any brand credibility.

So, what do we do next HTC - Stick our heads out the window or is there a free rubber band in the post?

Upvote 0
This is the main widget displayed on every bit of PR for HTC phones sold across the world. It's fair to say that this is a fairly high profile and embarrasing failure for their hardware and brand image. I certainly have been called a few times by colleagues when showing off the Desire about the vague weather widget location and I'm fairly sure HTC won't be selling to them any time soon. I personally find it difficult to counter the 'everything just works' attitude of the Apple crowd when you are presented with basic disfunctionality like this.

It's not a hardware failure, something has gone wrong with the signal that's being sent out. And if your peers judge a phone company based on a slightly vague location on a weather widget you may wish to introduce them to the phrase 'Don't judge a book by its cover'. :rolleyes:

It's hard to think of another company that that could ignore customers experiences and press reports for so long and still have any brand credibility.

How about Apple? Signal problem anyone? Bit more major than a weather widget being a bit airy fairy about where you are. :p

Reactions: partridge
Upvote 0
I have also sent mail to HTC with a link to this thread....so will see

My reply from htc (same as above )
Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the weather app, I can help you with that. HTC are investigating what has been changed on the weather provider's database, and we hope to have a fix soon. If it is identified that a fix is required for the weather application, the resolution will be made available on the HTC website. Please continue to watch our web site. I Trust that this resolves your query please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. Thank you for contacting HTC.

Upvote 0
I too got this reply this morning please everyone contact HTC so they realise there is a major issue with the app

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the weather app, I can help you with that. HTC are investigating what has been changed on the weather provider's database, and we hope to have a fix soon. If it is identified that a fix is required for the weather application, the resolution will be made available on the HTC website. Please continue to watch our web site. I Trust that this resolves your query please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. Thank you for contacting HTC.

Upvote 0
Well .... after a week with this problem I have established that the widget works as expected everywhere I have visited (including several small villages)....... everywhere it seems except the village where I live and where it has worked fine for a month or more :eek:

There is a danger of making a mountain out of a molehill - but this is annoying all the same....... sat there on the home screen and apparently clueless.

Latest " feature" is a lovely full moon at 07:30 this morning ........ it's never done that before !!!!!!! but we have had blazing sunshine at 21:30 :D

Upvote 0
Just checked and there is an accuweather app. I'm using the quick version to get a black bar, quite lite is white.

And that detects location just fine! Even where the HTC one has NEVER got any data for my home location.

Someone is really taking the piss!

Could accuweather have pulled all data but main towns from HTC's?

Upvote 0
I've had my Desire since April - weather and clock spot on for home, and 4 miles away, work (Surrey).
Then I went to Silverstone for the w/e. On arrival at the circuit, my phone advise me I had 'changed time zone' -(Northampton?) - so I ignored it -thought it might be down to all the other gizmos out there. It ignored me, and told me I was in Shanghai, it was 2 in the morning and dark! Well, I suppose it would be, but I wasn't there so didnt really care. And it was midday and very sunny! (Beer time no less!)
That was the Friday. On Saturday, it decided I was at Luffield Abbey, a very specific part of the circuit! Brill. Oh no, sorry, you're back in Shanghai. This was affecting the weather app and the clock (HTC)
My mates Touch was showing Northampton (close enough) and the other mates clit phone Silverstone!!
By Sunday, my phone had decided it was all too much and that I, like all of you, was in the UK. Well, better than Shanghai I suppose!
Contacted HTC yesterday and got this this morning -

'Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the weather app, I can help you with that. HTC are investigating what has been changed on the weather provider's database, and we hope to have a fix soon. If it is identified that a fix is required for the weather application, the resolution will be made available on the HTC website. Please continue to watch our web site. I Trust that this resolves your query please do not hesitate to contact us again if required. Thank you for contacting HTC.'

Seems familiar? They seem to be on it.
My mates Touch has now gone UK as well! (Dont care what the clit phone is doing)
Hope fix comes soon - its not life threatening, but I do like to know that my phone has a vague idea of where I am! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Just recieved this email from HTC !!!

[FONT=&quot]"Thank you for contacting HTC. In regards to your problem with the weather widget not showing the correct location, this is something I can help you with. Please permit me to explain how in a nutshell this works so you can have a better understanding of the way the weather widget works if you do not know already. The phone sends request for data out to the Internet Provider. The IP then sends the information request to the Geo tag of that provider. This then gets directed to the ACU weather server which has the temperatures and other data readily available. The information it finds that gets sent back along the communication line to your phone only if the server can recognise the location. If it can not, it will send an error or

Reactions: Eris Ed
Upvote 0
I've only had my Desire (Orange) for less than a week but I'm experiencing the same problems. I was very impressed when I first turned it on - gave my exact location and accurate weather. Just like it shows in all the official HTC Desire photos! ;)

Now it really struggles to pinpoint my location (GPS, AutoSync, etc don't seem to effect the performance of the widget). All I get now is either "United Kingdom" or "Current Location", and mainly the weather animation is missing completely.

For the record, I added my home town to the list of locations and it gives accurate info all the time. Plus, if I tap the widget and tap the word "Weather" at the bottom of the screen, the browser takes me to my current location and tells me all I need to know!

So for me, the info is on the server and it's accurate, it just doesn't seem to get to my phone automatically as it should.

Upvote 0
The weather widget doesn't work as intended for me either.

When I first turn the phone on, the weather widget updates, but the screen is blank. If I swipe my finger on the screen, I get a message that Sense UI has crashed and will restart. What I have to do is click the little icon to manually update the weather widget again and that stops Sense from crashing. I've tried resetting the phone to factory settings, but the same error is reproducible every single time.

I live in Stafford and it detects where I am just fine, but it says "no weather data available", however, if I enter Stafford as a manual location it picks up the weather data. Does anyone know why this would be? If Stafford is in the database (which it must be, if it picks the weather data up when it's entered as a manual location), why is no weather data displayed for my current location, when my current location is Stafford?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones