• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Huawei Ascend Y300-0100 eMMC read-only problem

Edin Fifić

Lurker
Jan 20, 2017
The phone is able to boot into Android OS, however, it keeps popping up a flood of messages like "Unfortunately, (such and such) process has stopped", making it nearly impossible to do anything on it (I get less than 2 seconds of time to press anything after tapping "OK" in that "Unfortunately..." message window.
The Dialer, Contacts, Messages, and almost every application is unable to start or remain open for more than 2 seconds due to a process being stopped. I was able to get into settings, and even the file browser and look around for more information.
The phone was showing extremely large amount of space taken up by Facebook (130+ GB) and one other application (over 60GB, can't remember which), which is impossible since there is only 8GB of storage in this phone. This leads me to an obvious conclusion that there are at least 2 corrupt files or directories in the internal storage - CORRUPT FILE SYSTEM.
The best clues I got were from a post in this forum, titled "Internal Phone Storage becomes read-only"(http://androidforums.com/threads/internal-phone-storage-becomes-read-only.347685/).
Not having any experience with rooting and programming, I have spent some time learning about, and trying, the outlined steps. However, I have hit a roadblock in pretty much every direction I took.
I was first trying to do a backup, and had a very limited success by copying some images and a video from Viber to an SD card. Anything else required installing a backup app, which was impossible due to the read-only eMMC. I tried using ADB as well, and even though I was able to apparently turn developer mode on, there was no connection with the PC, and when I went out of the settings and came back in, developer mode was off again. This made me conclude that it was never really on.
I have also tried uninstalling some apps, and the phone would simply reboot during the process, and the apps would still be completely there. Clearing the apps' cache also didn't seem to work.
What DID work was deleting the files (images and a video) from the Viber folders, which tells me that a part of the eMMC is not read-only, but the one with the OS and apps pretty much is.
So, that was as far as Android GUI would go.
Trying the "Volume Up + Volume Down + Power button" combination also lead me nowhere, as it would immediately give me the "Update exception - EMMC is readonly, you can't update your system".
The "Volume Up + Power" combination gave me some progress, in that I was able to connect via ADB and get some info out of the phone, list some files and directories, and that was about it.
I was able to get Properties, Processes, Logcat Dump, and Kernel Messages, saved as text files - if anyone thinks they could help, I will post them here.
I also tried side-loading an "update"; it got up to 71% and froze there. I booted the phone afterwards, and it is still its same old self.
According to the post I mentioned above ("Internal Phone Storage becomes read-only" http://androidforums.com/threads/internal-phone-storage-becomes-read-only.347685/), I figured that using fsck command (repairing the file system) would solve my problem, however, that is not possible without unlocking the bootloader or rooting the phone any other way, which, again, is impossible without at least being able to use the Dialer app to get the Product ID required by Huawei to give me the unlock code, so that I could use the fastboot oem unlock huawei-unlock-code (I will still send them a message trying to get that code without my Product ID, if possible).
I have even searched for solutions to a bricked phone, to try anything that might work. So far, nothing.
The last resort would be getting a JTAG interface, or another eMMC chip, but I am hoping I can do without.
So, I am asking any Android geniuses here as to what other steps can I take to root this phone and fix its corrupt file system? Thank you beforehand!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones