• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I don't know what to do, someone please show me the way

xploPR

Android Expert
Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, VA.
In couple of weeks, im porting my number to another carrier as im switching due to the lack of voice service in my area since december, i get good solid 3G data at home, but no Voice calls or texts, and i really need voice when at home since i don't have a land line that i could use as my primary.

Now to make it short, i receive a replacement phone today, Virgin Mobile keeps saying it's the phone that has the problem, but this is my second replacement and to be honest i don't even want to go thru activition since i know it won't solve the issue.

I just want to tranfer my account to an optimus v that i have here, so i don't have to deactive my account while a wait couple of weeks till i buy the new phone and send back the evo to VM, and sell the replacement that i received today since it's already stock and ready to activate & i don't have to flash RUU, so now the question is, if i sell the replacement will the buyer have any problem activating it? since i skip activation today?

Edit: Should i just go ahead and swap my account to Optimus V and sell replecement untouch, or should i swap to my replacement then to my optimus V, then sell replacement, im confused that if i sell my replacement with out activating in my account first it wont activate if i sell it to someone else :/

The replacement cant be activated still. As long as it has a unique MEID which it should, I dont see why it would be an issue. Replacements are generic, nothing specific to you other than being the same 'model' phone, even if its a refurb

Yeah, i just want to make sure i could sell it, just the way i received it, ready for activation.

i really don't want to leave virgin mobile, been a customer since the intercept, but since they started updating towers back in december in my area, now i can't place or receive any calls at home, the last OTA update weeks ago fix my issue, but after a full week of working with no issues it started doing the same thing again, it gets me frustrated.

Upvote 0
Nexus 4, And im considering Tmobile since i used to have them before i switch to VM, but i was under contract when i was with tmobile, but now they have decent prepaid plans, im thinking about the $30 plan, service was good im my area when i had them 3 years ago, but im also searching and reading about straight talk, just need to check coverage with them around here.

Upvote 0
Nexus 4, And im considering Tmobile since i used to have them before i switch to VM, but i was under contract when i was with tmobile, but now they have decent prepaid plans, im thinking about the $30 plan, service was good im my area when i had them 3 years ago, but im also searching and reading about straight talk, just need to check coverage with them around here.

I heard you can't port to the $30 plan...it must be new service with a new number. Was that BS?

Upvote 0
I heard you can't port to the $30 plan...it must be new service with a new number. Was that BS?

Didn't know that, it does sucks but i don't mind getting a new number along with the new service.

I ported to the 30 dollar prepaid plan! Just buy a new sim from tmobile and get the Virgin Mobile account number so they can transfer.

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
I ported to the 30 dollar prepaid plan! Just buy a new sim from tmobile and get the Virgin Mobile account number so they can transfer.

Good to hear, that's why i don't want to cancel my vm service yet, i have 2 more weeks on my plan before next top-up, i tried to swap to my old optimus v yesterday but it won't let me, it gives me an error, i called VM and it gave them an error also, they said they will call me back in 72 hours.

Can't wait to play with n4, i don't know how active is the n4 forum here, don't know if theres one here lol i have to check.

Upvote 0
If you are going to be trying the T-Mobile $30 plan with 5GB of 4G data and 100 voice minutes be sure to check out the VoIP options. I use Google Voice which is free with the GrooveIP app but also have the VoIP.ms service as a backup on my home phone. Both of these services can make and receive calls over HSPA+ data connections and the quality is excellent. VoIP.ms has a per minute charge but it's much smaller than what T-Mobile charges for overage.

There's more info in this post and a link to another VoIP app that supports multiple services.

ramjet73

Reactions: xploPR
Upvote 0
If you are going to be trying the T-Mobile $30 plan with 5GB of 4G data and 100 voice minutes be sure to check out the VoIP options. I use Google Voice which is free with the GrooveIP app but also have the VoIP.ms service as a backup on my home phone. Both of these services can make and receive calls over HSPA+ data connections and the quality is excellent. VoIP.ms has a per minute charge but it's much smaller than what T-Mobile charges for overage.

There's more info in this post and a link to another VoIP app that supports multiple services.

ramjet73

Perfect!

Upvote 0
For anyone interested in VoIP services that doesn't want to use Google Voice I can recommend voip.ms based on several years using their service. Their rates are about 1 cent per minute on calls to the US and Canada and very competitive for international calls.

I currently use it as a backup for Google Voice on my home cordless phone connected to the Obihai 110 adapter so that I can still make calls if GV is having problems by prefixing the number I am dialing with **2, assuming my broadband internet connection isn't the issue. I've rarely had to use voip.ms instead of GV but it's nice to have the backup just in case and it only costs $1.50/month to maintain the number plus whatever minutes are used.

However, since Google Voice is still free and works well with Android phones, I'd recommend starting with that if you are new to VoIP.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
After 100 minutes there is a rate of 10 cents per minute. If you do the math you could buy a higher price card instead of voip.

Voip is great but if you have bad signal sometimes you will face problems for relying on data.
I must have missed something, but at the VoIP rate of about one cent per minute 1000 minutes would cost $10 or less depending on how much you actually use. What upgrade to the $30 prepaid plan will give you 1000 minutes for $10? If you go to the $50 per month plan with unlimited talk 4G data is capped at 500MB instead of 5GB per month. And using Google Voice for VoiP doesn't cost anything extra. The signal for HSPA+ has been very good in my service area and the 100 minutes are still available when needed.

What did I miss?

ramjet73

Upvote 0
I must have missed something, but at the VoIP rate of about one cent per minute 1000 minutes would cost $10 or less depending on how much you actually use. What upgrade to the $30 prepaid plan will give you 1000 minutes for $10? If you go to the $50 per month plan with unlimited talk 4G data is capped at 500MB instead of 5GB per month. And using Google Voice for VoiP doesn't cost anything extra. The signal for HSPA+ has been very good in my service area and the 100 minutes are still available when needed.

What did I miss?

ramjet73

Good for you then. For the people who have bad signal with t mobile (highly unlikely) voip will not work properly or just drain the battery because of using data with the bad signal. That's why there is another option to pay a little bit more for minutes.

Upvote 0
Good for you then. For the people who have bad signal with t mobile (highly unlikely) voip will not work properly or just drain the battery because of using data with the bad signal. That's why there is another option to pay a little bit more for minutes.
I'm still curious about what plan you are recommending as an upgrade to the $30 per month 5GB 4G data and 100 minute plan. It looks to me that unless you go to the $70 per month plan you are giving up at least half the 4G data included in the $30 plan. Or are you suggesting just buying additional minutes at 10 cents apiece?

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones