• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I lost my HTC Desire HD

R

randombanana

Anyone found it?

Nah, I'm kidding... I'm wondering if HTCSense would help me find it? I've logged on and it cannot currently locate it, (as I assume its battery has run out, and it is currently switched off) but what if it's found and is switched back on? The only issue with this is that my SIM requires a PIN. If my SIM card was switched out with another would my HTCSense still be linked to the lost phone?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm looking at being

HTCSense doesn't need a SIM to work, it just uses the email account you used to set it up ie your gmail account, the one you use to log into on the site, it'll send out a push notification locking the phone and should locate it if its on.

If you had no lock pattern or code, then the person who found it could easily turn HTC Sense off provided they know how to.

Upvote 0
So maybe some lessons to be learnt here are:
1. Don't put a PIN on your phone
2. Make sure your battery is full if you plan on losing it
3. Try tracking it as soon as it's lost

Would you recommend I block the phone? Or wait and see if someone charges it up and switches it on with a different SIM in it? Would that potentially locate it? (HTCSense's locator worked for me before it went missing)

Upvote 0
I just installed 'where's my droid' app, seems to be good.
Free version rings misplaced phone and locates stolen phone by GPS ...both ativated by logging on to web page, or by texting user-set key words to phone.
Pro (paid for version) has many options including wiping SIM and memory card, also sends text to a user-set number to inform u if the SIM has been replaced in the phone.
This wont help randombanana get his phone back, but may be of interest to others before they lose their phone!
Also, I'm NOT a tech head, so would welcome any advice from more knowledgeable members on wether this app has any downfalls?
(apologies if this is old news LOL)
TaTs

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones