I thought this phone had a poor battery?

Last Updated:

1. TheAppMan

TheAppMan Member This Topic's Starter

I was expecting to charge up my Hero once a day after reading reviews.

Well......its been 1 and half days since the last charge and I have over 60% battery power left. :eek:

I make at least a couple of calls per day and have the Wi-Fi switched on when at home.

Advertisement
  2. Sumo

Sumo Well-Known Member

Tell me about it,I'm on my third day now and its just gone into the yellow.

Back ground data off and WiFi on at home and bt on in the car.

3. DroidUser1

DroidUser1 Well-Known Member

Yeh keeping apps from running in the background increase the battery life by a lot! I recharge mine every other day but that depends if I'm not playing with it... :D

4. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

yeah after owning a g1 i was surprised at the long battery life - for a smartphone

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

You guys must be joking! 3rd day!?!

6. G8D

G8D Well-Known Member

I use mobile internet/background processes/full backlight way too much to get more than 1 and a half days.

7. SuperBaby

SuperBaby Well-Known Member

Yes, the Hero's battery life is better than what I expected although it is not superb. With some RSS, browsing and emails, I am still getting about 40% left at night. Even if I have a busy day with lots of calls, the power is still sufficient provided I don't access internet too much. Anyway, I have to forget iPhone and opt for Hero as I can have a spare battery.

8. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath Member

I turn mine on at 5am and it needs charging by 8pm. What am i doing wrong then??

9. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

do u use a task killer? some apps will stay open all day without you knowing
    i keep wifi, mobile data, gps on all day but keep bluetooth off
    set the brightness to around 50% or autobrightness

do you have lots of widgets that use the internet?

10. hostile

hostile Member

I'm in the same boat as you.

My Blackberry used to last for two to three days... this thing is less than I had hoped for... :(

11. KusH

KusH New Member

Mine has lasted a whole day everyday since i got it =/ Which is plenty usually 30-40% by the time i go to bed. I'm in a habit of charging my phone every night anyway so its never even come close to dying which is good by me =] I would never expect a phone like this to last 2-3 days with all it can do. Also car charger ftw. I dont have one yet but I did and they are very convenient.

12. DeadlyDazza

DeadlyDazza Well-Known Member

Haha, i have to charge mine at lease twice a day, but it does take some hammer !

13. Gui

Gui Member

Switching 3G off makes a BIG difference!

14. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

This may be a ridiculous question, but how do you switch 3G off?

Also, is there anyway to tell which wigets or apps are constantly running the internet?

15. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

settings -> wireless controls -> mobile network settings -> use only 2G networks

Checking this will disable 3G & limit you to 2G

re: charging, if i'm paying attention, i switch off wifi whenever i'm not using it, and switch off all mobile data when i'm asleep, and try not to have any hungry widgets or apps running constantly. I get at least 2 days out of a charge if i do this.

But if i'm being lazy and dont bother to do any of these things, i will probably only get a day out of it.

16. Arthur Hucksake

Arthur Hucksake Well-Known Member

I just use a 2200mAh battery and I can hammer it solid for two days easily. lol WIFI on allday, music, videos etc

With moderate use I get 4 days easy.

17. Perihelion

Perihelion Well-Known Member

I leave my 3G on everywhere but leave the GPS off unless I need it. In this mode I easily get 3-4 days of use including web surfing, some calls, a bunch of texting, and regular application use all day. I love the battery on this phone. I'm on the OEM battery, no upgrade here...

18. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

I would like to get a little more details from you if you don't mind. How many minutes would you say on average you actually talk on the phone? Also, what apps do you have running on a daily basis. I seem to not get more than a days worth of battery charge. However, it is my only phone so I do talk often, and I am still new to the Hero (only have had it for 4 days) so I am always on it trying to learn new things, get new apps, and play! Thanks.

19. Perihelion

Perihelion Well-Known Member

I rack up probably 1-1.5 hrs of talk time a day, plus I run the weather, stock, calculator apps throughout the day. Other apps I use daily include astrid, note everything, peep, music player, and google maps. I browse the web over 3g on opera mini for a couple hours a day and read nubi news for maybe an hour or so as well. I use the camera regularly as I take notes off the whiteboard with it at meetings and text those pictures to the other attendees. In the background, I leave advanced task killer and 3g watchdog running all the time.

20. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

3-4 days? 1.5 hrs of talk, couple of hrs of browsing, music player... I can not imagine this in my phone even though I get full 3G/H bars all the time.