• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I5700 Galaxy Spica/lite officially gets Android 2.1

Cropper.jpg

What kind of update is this? Is it the new fw?

this is an old FW... Follow next link and you will see that this is an FW from dec. 2009

http://samsung-firmware.webs.com/samsunglettercode.htm

:(:(:(

Upvote 0
reply from samsung email

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics UK regarding your i5700.
Please be advised that currently there is not an update availablefor the Samsung Android handsets to 1.6, 2.0 or 2.1 released in the UK.We are investigating the possibility of an update.

and this off the samsung mobile commumity forum

HELP i5700 2.1 update 22/3/2010 13:34 The update for 2.1 for the i5700 is not available through New PC Studio at the moment. It is currently being worked on at the moment to resolve the issue. Unfortunately there is no time scale for the upgrade but please keep checking back to the software.

so im going to wait as my phone works ok with 1.5 on it

Upvote 0
Whenen Samsung finally (if ever!) get thier act together and release the new OS for this phone, what are the chances of it getting Mobile Flash support?

Or is Mobile Flash still in the development stage?

Yeah this is what I'm waiting for, I heard it would be on the next upgrade, :( but I really don't think it will be, as they carn't even get there software to work, chances of them getting somthing decent to work would be zero I think :(
Stroll on 22 months when my contract finish's.

Upvote 0
This page provide instruction to upgrade the Galaxy portal. I tried to download NPS as per the instruction. Quite surprisingly NPS installation file is quite different from the one listed under support page

New_PC_Studio_1.4.0.IL2.exe

Support - Phone Firmware Update - Samsung Mobile.

Can anyone try this and let us know whether it is working?

PS: This page is not yet published officially I changed the URL of i7500 to i5700 and landed on this page.

upgrade5700.jpg

Upvote 0
Even the new NPS 1.5 doesn't detect i5700. How am I supposed to check for update when phone itself is not supported???
Even new Kies doesn't detect my phone!!!!!!!!!!

Uninstall EVERYTHING Samsung related using Control Panel > Remove program (do not remove drivers for your monitor if that is a Samsung model).

Then reinstall NPS, then the driver and try to connect your phone once this is complete. You may have more luck with the computer recognising the Lite/Spica/Portal after doing this.

It works for me, but I have to uninstall everything and reinstall each time I want to connect thephone to my Win 7 PC. Not great, but at least it kinda works!

Upvote 0
[URL="http://androidforums.com/members/kingdave.html" said:
kingdave[/URL];
It works for me, but I have to uninstall everything and reinstall each time I want to connect thephone to my Win 7 PC. Not great, but at least it kinda works!

You need not to reinstall everything each time, you reinstall drivers every time to resolve this issue. If you installed your application at default location then navigate to

C:\Program Files\samsung\Samsung New PC Studio\USB Driver

and install it again.

At least for android platform NPS is just a Junk.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You need not to reinstall everything each time, you reinstall drivers every time to resolve this issue. If you installed your application at default location then navigate to

C:\Program Files\samsung\Samsung New PC Studio\USB Driver

and install it again.

At least for android platform NPS is just a Junk.

If I don't reinstall it just doesn't work. Already tried what you suggested.

Also if I don't reinstall I don't get i5700 like in this screen:
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-lite/53897-i5700-galaxy-spica-lite-officially-gets-android-2-1-a-3.html#post459237

I get "Samsung Android Device" and "USB modem" which doesn't let you do anything.

I got my Galaxy Portal as an exchange for a faulty SE C905. I love the Portal but the support is awful and I now wish I'd waited another couple of weeks before pestering T-Mobile and I could've got the HTC Desire instead :mad:

Upvote 0
got some more news from samsung and its not looking good

this is what i asked

how can i update my galaxy portal i5700 with new pc studio when it will not connect to the server this is all i get ive been trying for hours
==============================

At present the update is not available, there is no update server for the phone to connect to. Unfortunately I can not give a date when this will be available.

Upvote 0
got some more news from samsung and its not looking good

this is what i asked

how can i update my galaxy portal i5700 with new pc studio when it will not connect to the server this is all i get ive been trying for hours
==============================

At present the update is not available, there is no update server for the phone to connect to. Unfortunately I can not give a date when this will be available.

I just don't get it!!

All the tech news sites are reporting that it is available now after receiving a press release from Samsung. Yet Samsung tell its customers that it isn't available and there is no date yet set for when it will become available.

Are they saying in the reply there that they don't yet know when it will become available or are they saying that they do know but they have decided not to tell anyone?!

Upvote 0
Eclair manuals are up on the UK site as kingdave pointed out, hopefully that means that a release isn't far up. The problem is that when you call Samsung the people you are calling are mainly for basic questions and they wouldn't know much about when the i5700 is getting an update. But T-Mobile said April a while back so I don't know if it'll be out before then .

Don't worry, it is coming to the UK however we don't know exactly when. However, I think for my next device(in 17 months :( ) I will go to HTC as they seem to offer fantastic customer service on all their old and new devices.

Upvote 0
This does not mean anything. The manuals are updated on the german site since 15th of March. And the update is nowhere to be seen.

This forum(german) talk quite lot about the official upgrade they received since march 19th. Hence I assume update is already available for them.

Samsung Galaxy Spica (I5700) Forum auf Android-Hilfe.de

If you are using google chrome browser it get automatically translated to your native language.

Upvote 0
This forum(german) talk quite lot about the official upgrade they received since march 19th. Hence I assume update is already available for them.

Samsung Galaxy Spica (I5700) Forum auf Android-Hilfe.de

If you are using google chrome browser it get automatically translated to your native language.

Not really, they are talking about an 'offizielle Version (99,9%)' which is the 2.1 (I570EXXJCB) from the samsung-firmware/samdroid sites.

You should not fully trust google translate ;)

And ... i live in Germany, and have not seen any update yet.

I have however updated the phone to the above firmware, and this might be a reason ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones