• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help iconia a500 not booting

Upvote 0

Well, I tried their steps (up to the point where I should have gotten "Erasing Userdata" [sic]

I got the vibrating when I'd held the vol up and power long enough, and it went to the
ACER screen. That's it. How long (in minutes) does it take, holding the vol up AND
trying to turn the screen lock switch on and off (which is difficult for me, since I have
large hands)? I kept going for a few minutes with nothing to show for it.

I never got to a point where it said anything about update.zip, an external SD card that,
as I already mentioned, I don't have right now, or USB, etc.....

Suggestions? Thanks,
--jim

Upvote 0
If you got the "erasing user data" message you are at the right spot. You need to have the SD card already in with the update.zip file or it will keep cycling. Get the SD card and the file, with the SD card installed in the tablet. Then when you do the reset, it will restore the OS. At least that is what it did for me. I am no expert, maybe I got lucky, but I am writing this from my working A500!

Upvote 0
If you got the "erasing user data" message you are at the right spot. You need to have the SD card already in with the update.zip file or it will keep cycling. Get the SD card and the file, with the SD card installed in the tablet. Then when you do the reset, it will restore the OS. At least that is what it did for me. I am no expert, maybe I got lucky, but I am writing this from my working A500!

Hmmm. Ok, well, it'll have to wait until next month's SSD payday (the 3rd), or later, but
I was already planning on getting an external SD card for my new Android phone, so either
way, it'll be useful. :)

Thanks,
--jim

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have to wait.

Just make a backup of your phones SD card and put it on the PC.

Use that to do the factory reset...then replace the files and put it back in the phone.

Bingo Bango DONE!

So, after I've already said at least twice that I don't HAVE an external SD card,
you're saying my phone does? Can you give me a hint as to where I might
find it? The slot itself is empty, so it must be hidden somewhere else on the
outside. But since it didn't come with one, and I never installed one, I might
have a really tough finding one that just randomly appeared. Quantum physics
applied to the macroworld. But that could just mean it isn't there when I look
for it (otherwise it could be both there and not there at the same time, as long
as nobody checks to see if it's there.....)

Suggestions?
--jim

Oh.... :)

Upvote 0
This is an update to my previous post (#13). My A500 came back from Acer service. The service sheet noted that the mainboard has been replaced (again), and now it is working (still with old issues, slow GPS fix and noisy internal microphone). With the warranty period running out, I wonder what could be the possible cause for the problem. It came to my mind that I have rooted my A500 following this link,
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1531646. It seems the lockups occurred after updates of some apps. Is it possible that the rooting is somehow related to the hardware problem?

Furthermore, today I called Acer Tech service level 2, followed by escalating to head quarter Customer care, regarding the well known issue of shrinking disk space with GPS use. What a bunch of a$$holes, especially the Moraine 25220, a total incompetent. This A500 is my first Acer, which will be the last one for sure! I have successfully persuaded two colleagues of mine not to buy Acer products.

Upvote 0
Would LOVE TO try this... Can't find update.zip.... Anyone have a working URL?

THANKS!!!!

Which version of Android did you have on your A500? I'm guessing ICS?

If so, if you head to this thread and scroll down to this part of the second post:

Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3

and download the update that is the 5th one down:

Acer_A500_1.031.00_WW_GEN1

When you have downloaded the zip, do the following:

• Double click it - it should open... I downloaded the file to make sure and it opened for me :)
  • Rename the zip "update.zip" (without the " ") - you may only have to name it "update", as it should automatically be ".zip"... you don't need to call it "update.zip.zip", as that wouldn't work
  • Once you have renamed the zip, put it on the root of the SD card (not in any folders)
  • Insert the SD card in to the tablet (while it is turned off)
  • Turn on the tablet whilst holding the volume down button

Hopefully this should work! :)

(of course, the usual disclaimers that go with anything like this apply)

Upvote 0
HELP PLEASE!!!! My tablet has done the same thing as many others. It froze. First I did a soft reboot. No luck. Second I did the hard reboot, several times. Nothing. So I followed your instructions and used the link you suggested (from the last post by D-U-R-X) to restore the OS (ICS). After downloading I was able to open the folder, so I changed the folder name to update.zip. I emptied the memory card of everything but that. I installed it in the tablet, and did the hard reset startup. It said something about reading update.zip from the card. It looked like it would work!!!! Then I got the android guy on his back with the yellow caution triangle. Ug. :( I've tried several times and keep getting the same result. Did I do something wrong? Should I try another file? Another OS then upgrade? Or am I up a creek without a paddle (and a tablet to tell me how to get back - haha)? Any suggestions would be great!!!!!! I am seriously going through withdrawals right now!!!!! I want my tablet back, it's my lifeline (especially now that my phone is crapping out too)!!!! Thank you!!!!! :)

Upvote 0
Sorry, android guy on his back with red ! triangle, not yellow triangle.

When I boot to restore OS it says
Update package SD card update.zip
Booting recovery kernel image

I very briefly get the standing android guy that makes it look like it's working, then I get the laying down guy.

I don't know if all of the matters, but I thought I'd add it if it helps. Thanks again!!!! :)

HELP PLEASE!!!! My tablet has done the same thing as many others. It froze. First I did a soft reboot. No luck. Second I did the hard reboot, several times. Nothing. So I followed your instructions and used the link you suggested (from the last post by D-U-R-X) to restore the OS (ICS). After downloading I was able to open the folder, so I changed the folder name to update.zip. I emptied the memory card of everything but that. I installed it in the tablet, and did the hard reset startup. It said something about reading update.zip from the card. It looked like it would work!!!! Then I got the android guy on his back with the yellow caution triangle. Ug. :( I've tried several times and keep getting the same result. Did I do something wrong? Should I try another file? Another OS then upgrade? Or am I up a creek without a paddle (and a tablet to tell me how to get back - haha)? Any suggestions would be great!!!!!! I am seriously going through withdrawals right now!!!!! I want my tablet back, it's my lifeline (especially now that my phone is crapping out too)!!!! Thank you!!!!! :)

Upvote 0
mine died again the other day. this time the screen is black. and the power on/off light is only on when it is plugged in. and i know the battery should be fully charged since i leave it plugged in all the time. i suspect a bad battery. does this sound plausible. also why isn't the battery user replaceable? i will not pay acer ANOTHER $200.
i need a tablet that has SD card input and mini hdmi output. what other brands have this.

Gary

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones