• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS and Development Device ID

dautley

Android Expert
Jul 23, 2010
Dickson, TN.
I'm just curious, is everyone on a leaked ICS build showing a Development Device ID number under system settings/ developer options/
just under USB Debugging? I never noticed this before on my old Ally or on the Bionic using Gingerbread.

Anyone know how,why, and by whom this is used?

The device id is yet another manner that your apps can be linked to your phone. Most apps are linked to your account, but some, particularly those that you could not pay for via market, used device id so that you could not buy an app and then install it on several devices.

It used to be hidden only, and maybe after the final is out, it will be hidden again.

It's the same thing that TiBu complains about after you FXZ to stock then install a new leak.

Upvote 0
Same. I kept restoring the old one b/c I use one particular app, aCar, that I bought via PayPal and it used to register to the device. However, apparently somewhere along the way he initiated his own registration method so that it registers to an account name as well, without using deviceID.

I've since allowed the new deviceID to stay and I've had no problems with aCar either.

Also, aCar now has an unlocker in the App Store- but when I started using it it did not. Benefit of the donation version was that it was cheaper, but it was locked to a single device - the Play Store unlocker allows as many devices as you have linked to that Google account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones