• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ICS/CM9-JB/CM10 Development Thread

My biggest two problems right now are:

1. I can't seem to build a bootable boot.img. But the hyperics image boots fine. Don't know if the issue is the boot.img format or my rc-scripts. Working on that now.

2. I can get rild running and get service, but when rild comes up, system_server crashes.

are you using my zImage from hyperics? the ramdisk/boot.img need compressed with lzma, I have other compressions disabled.

Upvote 0
The problem with boot.img is that CONFIG_RD_GZIP is not set in the hyperics kernel. The android build wants to make a gzip initramfs but the kernel won't boot it.

I'm going to hack up the build scripts to use xz for now and see if it works. But I really need the hyperics sources so that I can tinker with them, and when I get them, I'll enable CONFIG_RD_GZIP.

Upvote 0
Reactions: tdm and lMonsterl
Upvote 0
Oh, almost forgot to mention ... it looks like you added CONFIG_MACH_LGE_SNIPER manually with no corresponding Kconfig entry. That doesn't play nice with "make oldconfig" so I tossed in an entry in arch/arm/mach-omap2/Kconfig. It looked like the best place at the time.

I noticed the entry CONFIG_LGE_LAB3_BOARD, which may be a suitable alternative. This is set in sniper_lab3_emmc_defconfig, which is our vendor config, but not in sniper_rev_a_emmc_defconfig. I can only guess that the latter is a non-production prototype of the sniper board... based on nothing more than the config name, really.

Upvote 0
I haven't been able to get my compiled kernel to boot, but I have been able to repack Blooddawn's kernel. Need to work on this some more. I can't really release a ROM until I can build a boot.img. :/

Got rild working and successfully made a phone call to myself. There was no audio but everything else looked good.

Got wifi working and authenticating to WPA networks.

More news as it happens...

Reactions: mkfryan and realizm
Upvote 0
Bloodawn, I'm getting this:

kernel/lge/hyperics/security/smc/omap3/bridge_pub2sec.S:43: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode `smc 1'

Are you sure that's the correct toolchain?

yes, thats the toolchain I'm using.

did you change anything in the source? try just downloading the source, set the location for the toolchain in the Makefile, it should be something like this:

/home/whatever/whatever/android-toolchain-eabi/bin/arm-eabi-

cd to the kernel folder and do ./SNIPER.sh and it should build and boot fine, if all that works then you can do your changes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones