• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Identifying user - email, phone number, FB and gmail?

vishal2011

Lurker
Jun 6, 2011
Hi,
I am developing an Android app but I wanted a way to uniquely identify the user. However I dislike the idea of creating username and password since I find that will be inconvenient for the user.
The alternative that I was thinking was,
1. Facebook login
2. Gmail login,
3. Email id
4. Phone number

My question is - Is It legal to display the a user's email id or phone number to other users?
And, in general ur comments on whats the best approach.
My app does require that users be able to contact each other somehow.

Thanks in advance. I would appreciate you any insights you can give.
-Vishal

Hi,
I am developing an Android app but I wanted a way to uniquely identify the user. However I dislike the idea of creating username and password since I find that will be inconvenient for the user.
The alternative that I was thinking was,
1. Facebook login
2. Gmail login,
3. Email id
4. Phone number

My question is - Is It legal to display the a user's email id or phone number to other users?

Now I consider this private information and therefore probably illegal, depending on the country.

And, in general ur comments on whats the best approach.
My app does require that users be able to contact each other somehow.

Thanks in advance. I would appreciate you any insights you can give.
-Vishal

A Facebook login could be an option, but you'd be assuming that your potential users have Facebook accounts. Email login probably not so good, as potential users could be frightened off because of spam.

I don't see a problem with users creating usernames and passwords, after all that's something you had to do when you joined AF. Perhaps you could do this as well as providing a Facebook login?

Absolutely NO for phone number logins and using phone numbers to identify users.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones