• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

idiots guide to android / honeycomb

What exactly do you mean by manage?

When I say manage, what I mean is:

What do you find works best in terms of:

1. Arranging the icons on each of the screens.
2. How to access the most important functions.
3. How for instance, you switch on and off bluetooth without going through several clicks.
4. If you like watching movies, how best to transfer the movies on to the device.
5. Do you use any SIP programs for voip.

To be honest I find that the screens are a little bewildering. In a couple of weeks I am sure that I will understand more about the navigation by hit and miss, trial and error.

I could do with someone who has been using Android, (better still on a tablet), telling me how, after using it for x weeks/months, they have optimized their setup.

As an example, I have using Windows for 25 years (+), I know exactly what software I need to operate smoothly;
- pdf printer
- renamer
- remove empty directory
- xbmc - utorrent -sickbeard/SABNZDB - DVDFAB
- openoffice
-google docs / picasa
-dropbox
- vnc / RDC
- vlc
- security essentials
- 7 zip
- Google Chrome
- autohotkey
I never allow updates for Internet explorer.
Sync bookmarks.
I store everything in the cloud.
I reinstall W7 every 4-6 months.
I list all my programs to be installed
I have the same directory structure on each PC.
I keep my desktop completely clear.

I never install programs that are not essential. Certainly no free CD games etc.

Daa dee dah.
This obviously does not apply to an android device. And, each unto their own, but what are the must do's in terms of how you 'manage' your android eco system.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
1. Arranging the icons on each of the screens.

Completely up to you, depending on what apps/widgets you use the most.

2. How to access the most important functions.

Same thing, my important functions are not the same as your important functions.

3. How for instance, you switch on and off bluetooth without going through several clicks.

Add a bluetooth on/off widget. Mine is on my first left homescreen, as I use it once in a while, but not often enough to put on the main homescreen.

4. If you like watching movies, how best to transfer the movies on to the device.

Connect usb to computer, drag and drop movies onto the phone's sd card.

Upvote 0
Please do NOT get a task killer. Android devices are great with multitasking and RAM managing, you do not need to "kill" programs like you do on Windows.
FAQ: Why You Shouldn’t Be Using a Task Killer with Android

So just throw as many apps on there as you want :)
Movies can be recoded for use with Honeycomb with this program:
Free Video to Android Converter: Android Video Converter
Select their 1024x768 high res template, then make a custom one and change it to 1280x720. Works great.

If you have any questions we could talk on Steam perhaps.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones