• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If you havent rooted yet, DO IT NOW!

The pre-kitchen sounds all good and is a good idea, but it seems to be really picky on if it will work with your PC or not. I ran the manual rooting and did it first time with no issues. The only issue I had was trying to get that SDK program working. Once I got that it was a breeze to root. I got my phone yesterday and rooted so I can't speak for the speed. Only thing that is kinda frustrating is the rotating seems to take a while to run.

Here's the step by step rooting instructions.
[GUIDE] How To Root The Sprint CDMA Hero (Windows) - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Yeah, I am new here and I don't root either. I don't know why people do those things for. If the phone was meant for such things then it would have come like that. I hope that you are able to get your cell back to working order though. I do like the site and what it offers but I don't see any benefits with this "rooting/jailbreaking" though.

Ya looks like u really don't know the benefits then huh. This tread is about rooting not about not rooting.Fyi, all the directions I have followed are very easy dude.:)

Upvote 0
He needs to look at it like this. Why do people customize their cars?. I mean a car itself with most features still makes it a good running vehicle. Knowing you can enhance that vehicle makes it that much better. Besides, any device, be it Windows or Android that can be tweeked, will be by MOST people on these type forums :) I've been a fan of rooting, unlocking, cracking...etc. If not get a regular flip phone :)

Peace!!:)

Ya looks like u really don't know the benefits then huh. This tread is about rooting not about not rooting.Fyi, all the directions I have followed are very easy dude.:)

Upvote 0
Yeah, I am new here and I don't root either. I don't know why people do those things for. If the phone was meant for such things then it would have come like that. I hope that you are able to get your cell back to working order though. I do like the site and what it offers but I don't see any benefits with this "rooting/jailbreaking" though.

look at it like this.. you bought a new computer. the store that sold you the computer loaded software on it that loaded each time you started the computer that used system resources and slowed it down. You were not able to stop those from loading and couldn't uninstall them. To make things worse. you didn't permissions to even access the hard drive other than your documents folder. now if you had that computer you'd be kinda pissed off. but if someone said hey.. here's how to get admin access and get rid of that crap and you make the computer run much better... would you do it of just settle for it being slow and restricted..

Upvote 0
OK, OK, I feel the peer preasure. You guys win, I will root but I do have a questions about Pre-Kitchen.

The 1 button ROOT has a box the that says: I have a "with Google phone"

For you Pre-kitchen experts, should I check this or not? and WHY?

also, do I root 1st and then add what apps I want like Sprint Nav?

Also, if I don't ROOT now, can I use Pre-Kitchen just to remove apps like NASCAR?

And finally, how long does it take to ROOT with pre-kitchen? Just need to know how long my phone will be off the air.

btw, did you know that NASCAR stands for:

N on
A thletic
S port
C entered
A round
R ednecks

lol

Upvote 0
OK, OK, I feel the peer preasure. You guys win, I will root but I do have a questions about Pre-Kitchen.

The 1 button ROOT has a box the that says: I have a "with Google phone"

For you Pre-kitchen experts, should I check this or not? and WHY?

also, do I root 1st and then add what apps I want like Sprint Nav?

Also, if I don't ROOT now, can I use Pre-Kitchen just to remove apps like NASCAR?

And finally, how long does it take to ROOT with pre-kitchen? Just need to know how long my phone will be off the air.

btw, did you know that NASCAR stands for:

N on
A thletic
S port
C entered
A round
R ednecks

lol

I actually did it the first time with the box checked "with google" then immediately went back to the same screen and did it again this time with it not checked. Something about 1.6 not liking to jump straight to the "without google unchecked version". Did the nandroid backup. restarted the phone holding down the home button. Green writing menu came up, select load sd card. Fresh 1.1 was there, selected it and pressed the track ball. Confirm by pressing home button. Fun done. Then u can remove all the sprint installed apps, u don't need. I am not an expert but it is really not hard. It is a little confusing the first time as has been stated.Just take your time. I did my second hero this morning and it literally took 5 minutes total using kitchen.

Edit: You lose no information from your address book or even text messages. I lost nothing.

Upvote 0
I actually did it the first time with the box checked "with google" then immediately went back to the same screen and did it again this time with it not checked. Something about 1.6 not liking to jump straight to the "without google unchecked version". Did the nandroid backup. restarted the phone holding down the home button. Green writing menu came up, select load sd card. Fresh 1.1 was there, selected it and pressed the track ball. Confirm by pressing home button. Fun done. Then u can remove all the sprint installed apps, u don't need. I am not an expert but it is really not hard. It is a little confusing the first time as has been stated.Just take your time. I did my second hero this morning and it literally took 5 minutes total using kitchen.

Edit: You lose no information from your address book or even text messages. I lost nothing.

WOW, so very cewl. Thx man, much appreicated!! If my HERO blows up, its coz it was used as a Mission Impossible prop. lol........

BTW, where did Fresh 1.1 come from. I just looked in the pre-kitche folder and found only 1.0 in Bootscreens and Fresh 1.0 in Themes. Do I need to DL it and where does it go?

Upvote 0
I finally got in. However I don't know what to do at this point and nothing on these forums or the geekforme website gives you any direction. There are a bunch of options like "reboot system now", "nandroid backup", "apply sdcard:update.zip", etc....

What do you do once you get to this screen?

If you want to flash the Fresh 1.1 ROM...right from the Fresh thread on xda.

How to use it:
0. Create a nandroid backup!
1. Copy this rom (do not unzip) to the root of your sdcard using one of the various methods.
2. Go to the recovery program by either typing "reboot recovery" from an adb shell or by powering off the phone and holding Home while you power it on.
3. Scroll down to "Apply sdcard: choose zip" and select the zipped rom. Press the home button to confirm you want to write it.
4. After it finishes (takes several minutes) click "Reboot system now".

[ROM] 01/01/10-1.1 | fresh rom | a new year release! - xda-developers

Upvote 0
If you've rebooted and go into the recovery mode you want to do a nandroid backup. Once that's done, select reboot system. Mount your SD card and copy the nandroid folder (the backup) to your PC for later if you ever need to restore. Now copy the fresh 1.1 zip to your SD card and power off your phone. Once it's off hold the home and power button until you see the same recovery screen, select the apply zip option (not sure of exact words) and install the fresh 1.1 zip, once that's done reboot and you're rooted. Check your phones version info when done to verify 1.1 is installed.

Thank you so much.

Got my phone rooted and the Fresh 1.1 installed. It's a little bit quicker, I guess I'll have to give it awhile before I give my verdict though. I was so frustrated last night and my eyes were just done after all the reading of forums and playing with my phone that my expectations are probably higher than they should be :p

Now that I know what I need to do to root, it's easy. But never having done it before the instructions I was finding were not clear enough for a noob like me. The directions above are the clearest I've found. Every other post I've read has simply said "Now flash your phone with the new Rom and you're good to go!"

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Okies, that answers my Fresh1.1 questions. Thanks for that Mate, now all we need to know is:

How do we UN-ROOT it when the OS update is ready, or we need to send it back for service?

Hopefully the UN-ROOT process is just as simple as ROOTing is.

I'm so dang EXCITED, I can't even eat my lunch.........lol!!

Thank Y'all

R

no need to unroot when the 2.1 update gets released.. the dev's will have a 2.1 ROM within hours of the sprint release.. if not BEFORE sprint releases it. if you are sending a phone in for service.. it would probably be because it wouldn't power on at all right? if so, then who cares if it's rooted.. if you ever want to un-root just run the RUU file and it'll be just like a brand new phone..

BTW.. this info was just given to you by a redneck who happens to like NASCAR

National
Association for
Stock
Car
Auto
Racing

Upvote 0
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but rooting is overrated. Bigtime.

Yep. Here is just one video of a guy running Fresh 1.1 and you can still see lagging even swiping thru his folders (22 second mark and other spots too). Definitely not worth voiding your warranty, service and possibly bricking your phone for a VERY minor increase in speed.

YouTube - HTC Rooted HERO running Fresh 1.1 Rom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones