• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'm rooted - what now?

mccririck

Sep 18, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I finally got the time to read through the FAQs and root my desire, but now I need to decide what to do next. I have a few question:

1) should I partition the SD card before installing a custom ROM? I have a Class 10 16GB I am going to use.

2) Custom ROMs: Are there any screenshots of what ASOP and MIUI ROMS look like?

3) what are the most stable ROMs?

4) Can you still use HTC Sync when you are rooted and have a custom ROM installed?

I finally got the time to read through the FAQs and root my desire, but now I need to decide what to do next. I have a few question:

1) should I partition the SD card before installing a custom ROM? I have a Class 10 16GB I am going to use.

4) Can you still use HTC Sync when you are rooted and have a custom ROM installed?

1, yes only use Gparted though. There is a guide on this forum, probably under all things root.

2, yes, look on xda at the ROMs in question, usually have pictures.

3, Depends on what ROM you would like, Miui, AOSP, Sense?
Miui xj, AOSP are generally dGB*, oxygen, cyanogen, redux 1,not sure on 2 and Mildwild. Teppics rom for a sense ROM.
I would probably stay away from dGB at the moment, I hear it is an excellent rom but to get the most out of it you would need to flash a new HBOOT as it doesn't use a2sd.

4, Not 100% sure, I assume using a sense ROM you would be able to, but not using any other type.
That's just a wild guess.

Reactions: mccririck
Upvote 0
For screenshots, there's a long thread in the Desire forum. Many of those tell you what ROM they are using. Those will show you that what a ROM looks like depends on who is running it :)

But in any case a lot of the homescreen look and feel depends on what launcher you use - my homescreens didn't look very different when I was using MIUI XJ last summer from when I was using CM7 before that, because I used the same launcher and homescreen layout with both. Even a Sense ROM can look similar at first glance if you aren't using the Sense launcher (I stopped using the Sense launcher long before I rooted).

Menus, notification bars, drop-downs etc do change between different ROM types. Different ROMs have different theming options for these - some have them built-in, for others you can use the famous UOT kitchen.

P.S. For stability I never had a problem with Redux 2, though I never ran it for more than a few days at a time (kept reverting to dGB).

Upvote 0

I'm surprised the answer to 1) is a straight YES without being qualified

As I found out after the event - partitioning the SD card is dependent on what ROM you choose - so step one should be choose your ROM and see if you then need to partition the SD surely

Upvote 0
Why would it need to be qualified though? It can be a lot more troublesome to partition the card after you've installed a rom, whereas if you partition beforehand it's there if you need it, and if you don't the rom will just ignore it. If you're swapping between roms while trying them out, it seems sensible to have an ext partition on the card should one of them need it - with a 16gb card, a 1gb partition isn't gonna cause space issues surely, so what's the problem? :)

Upvote 0
I think some of the bigger Sense roms need a partition to work (though I note the OP only asked about ASOP and MIUI). Without it, they might not even install or work.
If it was me, I would make the partition, don't change the hboot, then go round and try the different roms.
This should allow you to try/ install the widest range of roms without too much difficulty. Once you find one you like, then you can spend time tailoring the installation to suit.

Upvote 0
My answer to question number 1 would be use your recovery to create your EXT3 partition, clockworkmod, its on your phone anyway, might aswell put it to some use, and its the easiest way in my humble opinion, you only really need a max of 1024mb partition and if you have a 16gb sdcard, your not really gonna miss 1gb so may as well go for it.

Im running the latest version of the RevolutioN Rom, im new too all of this too and after trying 2 or 3 out, i settled with htis one for now, and to be honest, im loving it.

Upvote 0
My answer to question number 1 would be use your recovery to create your EXT3 partition, clockworkmod, its on your phone anyway, might aswell put it to some use, and its the easiest way in my humble opinion, you only really need a max of 1024mb partition and if you have a 16gb sdcard, your not really gonna miss 1gb so may as well go for it.

Im running the latest version of the RevolutioN Rom, im new too all of this too and after trying 2 or 3 out, i settled with htis one for now, and to be honest, im loving it.

people here tend to recommend using Gparted, simply because with EXT being a Linux fileing system, may as well do it on Linux since..well that's what it is.
Im sure there are better reasons for this.. but i don't know em.

tried it in Windows.. that failed, twice! used Gparted, worked a treat.

Upvote 0
people here tend to recommend using Gparted, simply because with EXT being a Linux fileing system, may as well do it on Linux since..well that's what it is.
Im sure there are better reasons for this.. but i don't know em.

tried it in Windows.. that failed, twice! used Gparted, worked a treat.

oh yes I agree, I was gonna use my live boot linux cd to create my partition, until I discovered the ability to do it was built into clockworkmod, just found it easier than messing around with linux, especially for those who know nothing about linux and gparted etc, and mounting sdcards etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones