• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Importing programs into Droid48

wildehare

Apr 8, 2010
I am currently using the Droid48 as my engineering calculator -- one less item to carry around. I have not figured out how to transfer programs into Droid48 yet. The description of the program points to hpcalc.org for 3'rd party programs, but I have seen no documentation describing how to import them.

Do you need to transfer using Kermit through the USB cable?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Well I tried this for programs written in User RPL on my hp48 but when I save it on the Droid48 and run it a string is placed on the stack: "HP48........" . When I try to open this string I get "Error: Can't Edit Null Char." This happens whether I transfer a file saved in ASCII or BINARY. What up w'this?

Droid48 only supports files saved in binary format. There are some converters available that run on your PC or in the calculator. A quick way to tell the difference is to open the file in a text editor and see if it starts with "HPHP48-" (binary format) or with "%%HP:" (ASCII format).

Alternatively, try opening the file with a different program called Droid48 Reader (available on Google Play). It can open binary HP files as well (in addition to integrating with Droid48) and let you see what's inside. If it can't parse the file, then the file is either not binary or is corrupt.

Upvote 0
I've been using the Droid48 app for years, and always before would experience the dreaded MEMORY CLEAR for unknown reasons, but could "Put program on stack" that I had saved using DroidReader. I still have the routines saved, but suddenly, Droid48, while it will go to the function, show the little green folder, which if clicked will show the four drives on my device, now suddenly, none of those drives will open or respond when touched.

Is there an Android update that killed this function?

Many thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
I've been using the Droid48 app for years, and always before would experience the dreaded MEMORY CLEAR for unknown reasons, but could "Put program on stack" that I had saved using DroidReader. I still have the routines saved, but suddenly, Droid48, while it will go to the function, show the little green folder, which if clicked will show the four drives on my device, now suddenly, none of those drives will open or respond when touched.

Is there an Android update that killed this function?

Many thanks for any help.

Did your phone or tablet recently receive a firmware update, and what Android version is it currently running?

Droid48 in the Play Store hasn't been updated for 3 years, so there is a chance that an OS change may have broken something in it, that the Droid48 devs would need to fix.

Upvote 0
Did your phone or tablet recently receive a firmware update, and what Android version is it currently running?

Droid48 in the Play Store hasn't been updated for 3 years, so there is a chance that an OS change may have broken something in it, that the Droid48 devs would need to fix.

Thanks for the quick response.
My Android Version is 7.0
Security Patch Level, 8/1/18
Baseband Version: MPSS.TA.2.3.c4-00026-8940_GEN_PACK-1.150152.2
Kernel version 3.18.31
Build number NRD90U
Software Version MP45010j

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response.
My Android Version is 7.0
Security Patch Level, 8/1/18
Baseband Version: MPSS.TA.2.3.c4-00026-8940_GEN_PACK-1.150152.2
Kernel version 3.18.31
Build number NRD90U
Software Version MP45010j

So it was working aright before on your Nexus? Could try resetting the app by clearing its data and cache. I don't use this particular calculator app myself. There are other HP48 type calculator apps, maybe try one of those instead?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones