• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Infinite Bootloop with a twist

operant

Mar 7, 2011
I've tried searching and I've tried the solutions that apparently solved my problem. But they didn't, maybe due to my ineptness.

Basically here's what I did:

- SBF'd back to 2.3.340 using RSD Lite: success
- Rooted the phone with z4root: success
- Downloaded the wrong ROM: failure

I clicked Gingeraid by Drew Garen on accident - I got the names wrong, I was looking for the "Gingerbread" ROM that ran on .340. When the phone booted, it appeared to be working fine, doing it's normal thing when updating a new ROM. However, all of the sudden the screen went black and is still in an infinite boot loop on the M logo. I can get into recovery mode and bootloader... except only when plugged into a wall. When I get into the bootloader is says "Low battery. Cannot program." I have had the damn thing plugged into the wall for two hours now and it says the same thing. If I even as much try to put the USB from the wall into my computer, the thing instantly dies, and shows nothing until I replug it into the wall.

I've read for some that they've had success by SBFing (which I can't do), applying an update.zip (which I don't have), and several other computer-required things. Is there anything I can do? As far as I know I haven't bricked it.. yet. I just don't want to make another wrong step I guess.

If I'm stupid and there's a simple solution, I'm sorry, but I'm just flat out confused at this point. I appreciate any reply.

I've tried searching and I've tried the solutions that apparently solved my problem. But they didn't, maybe due to my ineptness.

Basically here's what I did:

- SBF'd back to 2.3.340 using RSD Lite: success
- Rooted the phone with z4root: success
- Downloaded the wrong ROM: failure

I clicked Gingeraid by Drew Garen on accident - I got the names wrong, I was looking for the "Gingerbread" ROM that ran on .340. When the phone booted, it appeared to be working fine, doing it's normal thing when updating a new ROM. However, all of the sudden the screen went black and is still in an infinite boot loop on the M logo. I can get into recovery mode and bootloader... except only when plugged into a wall. When I get into the bootloader is says "Low battery. Cannot program." I have had the damn thing plugged into the wall for two hours now and it says the same thing. If I even as much try to put the USB from the wall into my computer, the thing instantly dies, and shows nothing until I replug it into the wall.

I've read for some that they've had success by SBFing (which I can't do), applying an update.zip (which I don't have), and several other computer-required things. Is there anything I can do? As far as I know I haven't bricked it.. yet. I just don't want to make another wrong step I guess.

If I'm stupid and there's a simple solution, I'm sorry, but I'm just flat out confused at this point. I appreciate any reply.
On the plus side, your phone is completely recoverable. On the minus side, you need to get the battery charged somehow and SBF.

If you have a friend with another droid X you could use his battery. Or if you had a spare battery. Or if you had a wall charger for the battery. I think a few people have had success just bringing the battery in to verizon and asking them to charge it, but I've had no personal experience with that.

You could also rig up a ghetto charger by cutting open a USB cord and putting the positive/negative ends on the appropriate parts of the battery (bypassing the phone).

Without power, I don't think there's anything you could do.

Upvote 0
If it's not plugged in it doesn't go anywhere. Anything I try to do without it being plugged in is useless - it's like it doesn't even recognize the battery.

I do not have a straight up battery charger or anybody in town that I know who has a DX. I also only have one USB cord for my DX so I don't particularly want to buy a new one.

Will the phone ever charge when in infinite boot or am I going to have to wait to go to Verizon tomorrow and see if they'll charge my battery (which I'd rather not have to wait, I use my phone for my job).

Upvote 0
I can get into recovery only when it's plugged into the wall. Battery in or out, the device will not boot or anything without that wall charger.
Do you have a way to get anything onto your SD card?

You could try putting maderstcok onto the SD and flashing that while the phone is plugged in. It might work, it might not. I doubt it will make it worse.

Upvote 0
Do you have a card reader in your pc? If you do, download the FULL sbf file of 2.3.340, put it on your card, and put your card back into the phone. Once you get into recovery, flash the file. You should then be good to go.

here's the link for the file you will need,

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/312755-gb-back-2-3-340-help.html

Download the file "Android 2.2.1 System Version 2.3.340 Full (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01)"

EDIT: well scratch that idea. No card reader doesn't help things. But still get that file. You will need it to flash your x. Just find a way to get it on your sd card.

Upvote 0
Do you have a way to get anything onto your SD card?

You could try putting maderstcok onto the SD and flashing that while the phone is plugged in. It might work, it might not. I doubt it will make it worse.

Are you able to get to CWM (dunno what CWD is...) or stock recovery. If you can only get into stock recovery then that really is no good for you since your system files are corrupted and a factory data reset won't do you any good. Really at this point your phone needs to be SBF'd back to stock to fix anything. And the only way to do that is with a 50 dollar cable that allows flashing sans battery or a hacked USB cable 10 bucks for one of those. (not bad to save your phone.) OR go into verizon. Sweet talk a representative into letting you charge you're battery out of your phone in another phone. Look for a rep that has an android phone already and they might understand the situation you're in. I know the manager at my local store is into the modding community like we are so he is very empathetic when it comes to stuff like this.

Upvote 0
Do you have a card reader in your pc? If you do, download the FULL sbf file of 2.3.340, put it on your card, and put your card back into the phone. Once you get into recovery, flash the file. You should then be good to go.

here's the link for the file you will need,

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/312755-gb-back-2-3-340-help.html

Download the file "Android 2.2.1 System Version 2.3.340 Full (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01)"

you can't flash the SBF file from the phone in recovery....

Upvote 0
You're a genius. My brother has a D2. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I'll do the following:

Plug his phone into my computer with my SD card in his phone. Rename the SBF file from verizonetcetc to update.zip. Remove my SD from his phone and put it in mine. Then recovery. Then apply update.zip.

Will that work?

Upvote 0
You're a genius. My brother has a D2. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but I'll do the following:

Plug his phone into my computer with my SD card in his phone. Rename the SBF file from verizonetcetc to update.zip. Remove my SD from his phone and put it in mine. Then recovery. Then apply update.zip.

Will that work?
It depends.

Which recovery are you in?

Clockwork mod recovery, you can put maderstcok.zip (NOT the SBF) on your sd card and flash that. You can use your brother's droid as a SD card reader. You don't need to rename it, there is an option to just chose a zip. (maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum for the download) This may or may not work (but if you're still able to get into clockwork mod recovery, its probable. Can't hurt to try at least).

Stock recovery? You can't. Your only alternative is to charge the battery somehow and SBF.

Upvote 0

Will that work?

NOOOO! lol don't do it. You would be getting yourself no where lol

Hmmm....Yeah, I just remembered that aggie. Thanks for catching it. Poor kid would have been going crazy trying to flash that file.

hahaha I could just see his face now lol. It's all good.

OP please specify which recovery you're able to get to. If my suspicions are correct you only getting to stock recovery. Which leaves you SOL and will need to take a trip to verizon to charge it.

You can't just rename a file to update.zip and expect stock recovery to flash it. It has to be an update.zip signed directly by MOTO

Upvote 0
Damn.

I already thought of the battery thing and the update.zip did not work.

It's stock recovery, if it were to be clockworkmod I would've never had to make this thread. Will it never charge in infinite boot? Is there a download for the MOTO signed update.zip? I can transfer files from my brother's phone to mine.

Update: I might've just ****ed myself over with the rename thing. Not even in infinite bootloader anymore. Just a black screen. Or might've run out of juice. Damn.

Update 2: Now it's back to bootlooping.

Upvote 0
You're not screwed. First thing you have to do is get your battery charged. once your charged you can connect to the pc and flash the file I suggested to you with rsdlite.

It's hard to brick a DX. It is savable. Don't panic, just keep trying. We're here to help any way we can.

On another note. If I design a stand alone charger for the DX battery do you guys think it would sell?

Upvote 0
Damn.

I already thought of the battery thing and the update.zip did not work.

It's stock recovery, if it were to be clockworkmod I would've never had to make this thread. Will it never charge in infinite boot? Is there a download for the MOTO signed update.zip? I can transfer files from my brother's phone to mine.

Update: I might've just ****ed myself over with the rename thing. Not even in infinite bootloader anymore. Just a black screen. Or might've run out of juice. Damn.

Update 2: Now it's back to bootlooping.

whoa, no need to be fiesty. That is something you should have specified in the OP since there are two recoveries that obviously grant different powers. We're only trying to help you and when you're not specific in the first place we have to ask.

You should have never tried to flash that 'update.zip'

You should take my advice about going to verizon or finding someone with a DX. If you have a facebook then I would suggest asking your 'friends' on there if anyone close has a DX. I think you would have found out earlier if it could charge in your situation since you had it 'charging' for 2 hours.

You can't do anything of use with the battery and system corruption as it is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones