• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root installed Cyanogen, want to sync with google

glennn

Jul 18, 2011
having installed Cyanogen, i'm noticing some things missing:

i'm unable to run android market app, it's now requiring me to "add an account for this device", and when i select "Yes" the app closes...

i have no way of syncing my Outlook and Google Calendar and phone now...

i'm sure there's someone who's familiar with these minor issues. can i get a little help?

overall i love CyanogenMod - fab stuff...

thanks
gn

Reactions: Yellowbram
Did you download the google apps zip file with it? Stuff like the market and gmail aren't included with CM by default, you need to download and install seperately.

yes, i've downloaded that zip file and extracted all the apks from it to my sdcard; some installed, the google calendar sync doesn't install, etc... gmail app installed but won't stay open.

A. Market installs but insists "You must add an account to this device. Do you want to add one now?" and when i select Yes, it closes. Going to Settings, Accounts and Sync won't let me add an account (there's a Facebook account and a Corporate account listed there from earlier...).

Now when i go to Accts & Sync the only option is "You can configure and Exchange Account in just a few steps." i don't have an Exchange account, and don't want one if that's MS Exchange...

help???

Upvote 0
Not sure about specifics for your handset but with mine, the zip file had to be flashed in clockwork.

Do you have a link to the guide you followed so I can take a look?

this is the guide i followed:

http://androidforums.com/cliq-xt-al...ecovery-installation-install-rom-windows.html

but as i said, some of the apk's installed properly, so i can't imagine that i'd have to flash a zip file - the zip files i was using were part of another ROM; i didn't want to install the ROM on top of Cyanogen.

thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link, unfortunately, I'm at work and I can't view the youtube videos as they're barred.

However, I've had a look at the CM7 site and found this. You need to download the ROM and zip file containing the google apps, put on the SD Card, reboot into clockwork, wipe, flash CM7, stay in clockwork, then flash the google apps zip file to install the google apps properly. Clockwork doesn't just flash ROMs, you can flash apps, kernels, themes etc in it too.

As they're technically "core" apps, they might need to be installed via CWM so they can be integrated properly into the OS. It could be why you're getting errors when trying to run them after they've apparently installed via the apk files.

Try it the way Cyanogen recommends, see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll see what else I can dig up.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the link, unfortunately, I'm at work and I can't view the youtube videos as they're barred.

However, I've had a look at the CM7 site and found this. You need to download the ROM and zip file containing the google apps, put on the SD Card, reboot into clockwork, wipe, flash CM7, stay in clockwork, then flash the google apps zip file to install the google apps properly. Clockwork doesn't just flash ROMs, you can flash apps, kernels, themes etc in it too.

As they're technically "core" apps, they might need to be installed via CWM so they can be integrated properly into the OS. It could be why you're getting errors when trying to run them after they've apparently installed via the apk files.

Try it the way Cyanogen recommends, see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't, let me know and I'll see what else I can dig up.

thanks loads - i'm going to try this now.

are you still there? i'm wondering what the difference is in gapps-gb and gapps-hdpi - there are other apks in the hdpi, gmail, for instance...

thanks

Upvote 0

Mr President. you ROCK!!!!!!!!

that was the answer to all the issues. upon reinstall, and proper flashing of the gapps, on reboot i was prompted to sign into my google account, which fixed everything. market works, all of it.

you have MY vote!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones