• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internal Memory Daily Use

leewoodford

Jul 30, 2010
UK
Hi,

After just over a week of using the X10 mini and only installing the apps I am going to use, according to Juice Defender (and Task Manager) I only have appx 40mb (58mb after restart until all the s*** loads itself up) of internal memory available. This is after using Task Manager to kill all apps that I don't need like gmail and roadsync.

What is everyone else getting, is this normal? I notice it is a common thread with other android devices.

By the way I don't want to root my device.

Thanks
Lee

Apps
ADW Laucher
K9 Email
Handcent SMS
Juice Defender
Bluetooth FT
Task Manager
200 Contacts sync'd with Gmail and Calendar

This really is no problem.
And 40-50MB is plenty.

Look at how windows manages ram, it assign more than it needs at the moment to access it faster. Linux and Apple osX is the same.

Android will free used memory if needed so you'll never end up with no free memory.
What you shouldn't do is use juice defender and task managers/kills - that just ****s up androids routines and thus gives it more to work with and that leeds to more battery usage....

In order to stop apps from starting you shouldn't kill them but instaed change the internals of Android and tell it what apps to not keep in the background.
For this you need root and also change your android build for your phone.
But I guess Google knows what it's doing and there's no need for you to change this.

If you thnk the main reason for the phone to get slower is the lack of free memory, you're wrong. My guess is that the number one reason is poorly written home-replacements and themes that slows down the user experience.
And that some apps don't free all their used memory the right way.

Reactions: leewoodford
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones