• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internal storage issue - Ive tried allsorts

Android Version: 2.2
Network: t mobile
Taskiller Used?: advanced task killer
[Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: no
Issue:

Hi folks. (sorry its a bit of an essay)

Im coming to the end of my sanity with this.....

I've had my desire a while now, and for months I've had to keep deleting things to keep the "internal storage memory low" message off my back. I've read thorugh thread after thread and I've tried everything that's been suggested...

- deleting cache on every app
- deleting apps
- moving apps to sd (after the half arsed 2.2 update)
- deleting all text messages on a regular basis
- saving incoming emails to sd

Ive even gone through all the apps I use, finding sd-card-saving-alternatives for ALL of them to free up more space. After all this...the internal storage demon has caught me up yet again. But I've literally ran out of things to try. Im down to about 10/15 apps now (90% of which are saved to the sd card anyway).

I know that even apps saved on the sd card do take up some space on the internal memory, so I've even had to resort deleting some of those?! Ive noticed some of the factory applications have got larger and larger and larger (e.g. internet is now at about 6mb) but I cant do anything to reduce the size of them? even after cache is cleared etc...

The only other thing I've considered is a factory reset, is that really the only thing I can do? (and obviously do it again....and again....over the coming months)

Please please please can anyone help?

Much appreciated

I've been a bit aprehensive about this whole rooting thing. But if I go for the rooting...am I not gonna have the same problem in a couple of months? Most of my apps are already saved to the SD card. Would it mean that I can move everything to the sd card?

I'd probably put money on my desire finding a way of eating up every last bit of internal memory at some point...

Will it really solve it?

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
I've been a bit aprehensive about this whole rooting thing. But if I go for the rooting...am I not gonna have the same problem in a couple of months? Most of my apps are already saved to the SD card. Would it mean that I can move everything to the sd card?

I'd probably put money on my desire finding a way of eating up every last bit of internal memory at some point...

Will it really solve it?

Thanks for your help!

its different to moving to the SD card. read the FAQ in my sig.

Upvote 0
Just to give you someidea, I recently rooted and installed LeeDroid with a2sd+ support.

Currently have the following apps installed:

Angry birds + angry birds seasons
Astro file manager
Aviation weather
Audio manager
BA flights
Barcode scanner
BeyondPod
Brightness profiles
Camscanner
Colournote
Exchange rates
Dora memory game
Fingerpaint
French Verbs
Flight time limitations (self built on AppInventor)
Gesture search
Google sky map
GPS test
Bubble level
Juice defender
Connect 4
MapDroyd
MyBackup
PicSay
Runkeeper + Runkeeper Pro
Postcards
ROM manager
Sound meter
Tricorder
Titanium backup
US Army survival guide

Current internal memory remaining -119Mb

If memory is the problem, rooting and a2sd+ really is the answer.

Upvote 0
It is a lot simpler than rooting and adding a custom rom!
Basically a lot of folk have found that their contacts folder simply gets bigger and bigger in terms of space. Mine went from 8mb to 80Mb with no additional contacts. Some folk have suggested that Facebook contact sync is the culprit so the first step would be to delete all contacts and then turn off facebook contact sync.
In terms of backing up the contact database then yes this is a must!
You can use MyPhoneExplorer or HTC Sync to do that. Another way is to back then up to your SD card.
When I had the problem, I did a hard reset of the phone to solve the problem but if it happened again, I'd use the delete contacts method first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones