• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] DjeMBeY ROM's i9505 - Dummies Guide

So for someone that hasn't updated and still on MGA , this is the way to go? Ive been in limbo too long and never did go back to unrooted.

IMHO, stick with MGA for now until all the silly bugs in stock Android 4.3 are fixed. Hopefully, MK8 will go a long way to doing that.

As you are not Knox'd, then a ROM such as this or Echoe, flashed via recovery will keep your unlocked bootloader and are Knox free.

Reactions: Rudedawg
Upvote 0
XXUEMK8_DeOdex_SuperSlim_CWM is Online

Cantankerous Celt! No Source. No links. :motz:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For rooted GT-i9505 with CWM custom recovery.

#1. Downloaded MK8 modem and flashed it via Odin 3.09 in CP after turning phone off and booting into Download mode. After phone powered up I checked that the modem was working OK.

#2. Did a dirty flash over my DjeMBeY MJ9 Slim ROM by downloading the I9505XXUEMK8-PRE-ROOTED-DeOdex-KNOXFree-SupeSlim-CWM.zip and placing it on my external SD card and then booting into PhilZ Recovery and installing it. Before Re-booting, I wiped Cache Partition and Dalvik Cache, under Advanced, in PhilZ Recovery and then re-booted, ignoring the change Root prompt screen.

So far everything seems fine. No big differences from MJ9. The Transitition animation scale is fixed when camera is used, if that helps. I'm guessing that the MK8 release is all about bug fixing.

Far too early to comment on battery life and overall performance.

Upvote 0
Dirty flash, no issues.

For those lazy gits out there, works fine with mj9 modem too if you can't be bothered to change!

Rusty bum, sort out your own house first before having a dig at our Welsh friend.......I assume when you talk about m9 above you mean mj9?? You must have been down to the twilight zone for a few cheeky ones already......

Upvote 0
Rusty bum, sort out your own house first before having a dig at our Welsh friend.......I assume when you talk about m9 above you mean mj9?? You must have been down to the twilight zone for a few cheeky ones already......

My error... duly amended. Thanks for that... I'll let you buy me a Christmas drink! ;)

Upvote 0
I'll be joining you guys next week hopefully as me ma is taking me out in wheelchair to a big local CPW so I hope they have a knox free version

Just remember the 3 ironass rules...

1. Don't eat the yellow snow!

2. Don't get involved with strange women, (give them my name and address and I'll deal with them for you. ;))

3. Above all, DO NOT get a Knox firmware enabled SGS4 with locked bootloader, as discussed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for this latest release from DjeMBeY, Slim MK8, I'm like a pig in clover. Overnight battery drain was <0.5% p.h. with just the sound off. This is with the default talexop kernel. The GPS was within 3m in under 15 sec's. Modem is as good as the MJ9. No black screens, freezes or fc's. Overall speed and smoothness in scrolling is very good.

In, roughly, the 24 hours of use I have not come across any problems so far. How is everyone else finding it?

Reactions: Riche101
Upvote 0
Cheers for your help matey, you deserve a good bathfull of WD40

But as for

2. Don't get involved with strange women, (give them my name and address and I'll deal with them for you. ;))

Sorry matey I dont want to be the cause of yer olde ticker giving up.

Some of the Brazilian girls I've met and know are too hot too handle. I've ruined it anyway as they only like guys in kilts with a sexy Scottish accent lol. Just ask my possible future Brazilian hot ball n chain.

But as soon as I get the S4 I'll be on.

Upvote 0
I'm having an issue with proximity sensor during calls....screen doesn't come back on again when I take phone away from ear

Proximity sensor working as normal during calls with screen back on when removed from ear. Just checking that you have enabled Turn off screen during calls in Dial pad > Menu > Call settings?

Upvote 0
I am loving DjeMBeY's Modified, Slim, ROM, MK8 more and more!

I cannot, after 3 days and nights, find fault with it. I am using it with the default talexop kernel on Samsung's Power Saving mode with a standard, not extended, battery and so far the performance has been excellent and my battery usage has gone down from previous ROMs.

Here are 2 screenshots from this morning...

Overall battery usage since last charge. Average use. Google Services, (not shown), are 3%

Overnight, idle, with all services running and Wi-Fi connected and just sound off = 2% drop in battery over almost 5 hours and this is the worst reading of the last 3 nights.

This is easily, by far and away, the best Android 4.3 ROM that I've had.

Upvote 0
I am loving DjeMBeY's Modified, Slim, ROM, MK8 more and more!

This is easily, by far and away, the best Android 4.3 ROM that I've had.

I know i'm new here, but i've already got the jump on you old timers! :p

Here's a fresh copy of KitKat on the S4:

Advantages:
1. Full 4 bars - no dropout!
2. Less messy than the earlier IceCreamSandwhich
3. Much easier to boot (just bring baby wipes!)
4. It can be modded, but can't go back to previous versions without melting the core :D
5. No Battery, completely wireless and in self-contained package!!

Disadvantages:
1. Apps are severely limited! :smokingsomb:

KitKat on my S4.... making you all green with Android envy!!!!
2mywaax.jpg

Sorry, but someone had to suck the life out of that metaphor!.... now back on topic..

I finally got my i9505 rooted with DjeMBeY's pre-rooted, stock, MK8 ROM. For anyone who hasn't tried it. Mine is working very well so far. Particularly as I had tripped the Knox 0x1 flag and locked the bootloader. I didn't think I'd actually still be able to root the device.

A huge thank you to ironass for pointing me in the right direction and the best set of instructions for converting a 'dummy' into a smartass in less than 3 days flat! :p.... not to mention that DjeMBeY is some form of artificial super intelligent lifeform! :adore: :adore: :adore: :alberteinstein:

Upvote 0
Congratulations worldgonemad on rooting your phone with DjeMBey ROM MK8. :congrats:

I know i'm new here, but i've already got the jump on you old timers! :p

Here's a fresh copy of KitKat on the S4:

:sleep: Don't want to curb your enthusiasm but KitKat ROMs are old news... see this two week old post by iT0mm0, Kit Kat (4.4) is here

Guess you still need to hone those reading skills! ;)

A huge thank you to ironass for pointing me in the right direction and the best set of instructions for converting a 'dummy' into a smartass

I think more work is needed on the conversion Grasshopper! :trytofly:

Reactions: worldgonemad
Upvote 0
Congratulations worldgonemad on rooting your phone with DjeMBey ROM MK8. :congrats:

OMG I must have jinxed it by celebrating too soon! I'm back to square one!... followed the instructions to the letter and really thought it worked.... first of all WIFI wasn't working, but thats no big deal. I see that all I need is to grab the relevant modem files. But then I saw that in status it said "custom". I tried downloading root checker - couldn't get a mobile network signal in an area its normally strong... so I followed your instructions to go ahead and flash Philz touch 6.00.0 and then intended on getting the modem files.

Odin seemed to work fine. I booted into the home screen and was able to download root checker.... "Sorry! This device does not have proper root access" :(..... yet I was able to get into SuperSU before flashing philz touch. Now I went into SuperSU and "there is no SU binary installed..."

So i'm totally at a loss now. Your instructions and those of DjeMBeY are to try flashing his pre-root stock rom again. Is this the right thing to do? and do I need to uninstall / unflash Philz touch? do i need to do a clear cache, etc?

I'm sorry to be bombarding you like this. I'm sure you've better things to be doing. But its starting to get frustrating, and i'm not sure if its all because of this knox thing or my own stupidity! (i'm guessing the latter!) and if i've missed a step somewhere along the line I apologise!

Update: ok i've gotten root status back again. I flashed the stock recovery dl from DjeMBeY's guide and then flashed his I9505XXUEMK8-PRE-ROOTED-KNOX-FREE-ODEX-FULL.tar.md5 file. Now SuperSU and root checker are coming back positive. I don't want to proceed with Philz Touch again without checking as to why I keep losing root (its what happened a few days ago too.... using the CF-Auto-Root method.....so what's next? backup? or custom CWM?

this making any sense? lol :))

Upvote 0
Oh dear worldgonemad... it seems as though you are a premature ejaculator! :eek:

Hehe damn that doc of mine, I thought that info was private! :nurse:

On the plus side... you now know how to get out of trouble! :)

It would seem that there have been changes made since Knox first reared its ugly head a few weeks ago on MGG.

Are you up for PLAN B?

As long as PLAN B doesn't involve needles i'm up for anything! just bear in mind I don't have another half a tonne to shell out for a new s4!

I've been diligently backing everything up through titanium pro and backed up the /efs folder, downloaded a fresh carrier specific stock ROM from Sammobile and have a dropbox folder with an ever-expanding list of ROM's, CWM's, Modems, software packages & various scripts!

Can you tell me why Philz touch is unrooting my phone?

I have the original cable, samsung drivers, and debugging enabled but yet everytime I Odin flash the Custom CWM it reboots straight into the home screen, never into the recovery mode. Could this be the reason its unrooting, that somehow the stock CWM is overwriting the Custom? I did try flashing with Auto Reboot switched off. But ism never quite sure at what point I should unplug the cable (when Odin says "ok" or "reset"?) and when I should manually reboot with volume up into CWM?

Should I clear Dalvik cache only, before flashing? or should I wipe Data/factory reset? or wipe cache partition? or all three?

I hope you don't mind me asking all these noob questions, but I'm just really enjoying learning about all this stuff. It was your fault anyway. You shouldn't have made that guide so easy to follow and addictive! :p

right so...plan B........:deal::deal::deal:

ps: i've attached screenshots of my Rom Manager - Every time after flashing Philz touch v6 i would open up this app and it would be unclear as to which cwm i should choose and why did it appear that there was more than one? and even after selecting one, choosing "other" in phone type (s4 isn't in there), I would launch ROM manager again and the same screen would be presented with no CWM selected! confused.com!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-26-22-16-25.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-26-22-16-25.png
    103.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_2013-11-26-22-16-33.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-26-22-16-33.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
Right, I was going to go straight to Plan B until I saw your post, above. Now had 3 mugs of double strength, Taylors Rich Italian Roast coffee and am firing on 3 out of 6 cylinders.

Can you tell me why Philz touch is unrooting my phone?

No. All I can say is that it is working on non Knoxed devices on talexop kernel. (this is where my Plan B, "may", come in after you have read the following to ensure that you have been following the correct procedure in ROM Manager and SuperSU).

I have the original cable, samsung drivers, and debugging enabled but yet everytime I Odin flash the Custom CWM it reboots straight into the home screen, never into the recovery mode.

That is normal after flashing PhilZ. The best way to access recovery, at least initially, is to turn the phone off after it has re-booted and then hold the VOL: UP + Power key together until you see the Samsung screen and some blue writing in the top left. Release buttons immediately. After completing the ROM Manager set up below, you can also use Reboot into Recovery or, if you have a multi Choice Power button menu, you can use that. I would always use the first method though.

I did try flashing with Auto Reboot switched off. But ism never quite sure at what point I should unplug the cable (when Odin says "ok" or "reset"?) and when I should manually reboot with volume up into CWM?

See #2.11 of the Rooting Galaxy S4 - Dummies Guide.

Should I clear Dalvik cache only, before flashing? or should I wipe Data/factory reset? or wipe cache partition? or all three?

Never hurts to wipe cache partition and dalvik. Not FDR though.

ps: i've attached screenshots of my Rom Manager - Every time after flashing Philz touch v6 i would open up this app and it would be unclear as to which cwm i should choose and why did it appear that there was more than one? and even after selecting one, choosing "other" in phone type (s4 isn't in there), I would launch ROM manager again and the same screen would be presented with no CWM selected! confused.com!

After installing PhilZ you should try going into ROM Manager and select...

Recovery Setup > Recovery already installed > ClockworkMod Recovery > (S4 is not shown) Go to bottom of list, "Device not listed above" > ClockworkMod 3.x+

Reactions: worldgonemad
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones