• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[International / GSM] Rooting JellyBean, how?

I have been thinking about rooting my phone, but since updating to Jellybean would remove root, I wanted to wait till I got the OTA.
Well this morning I upgraded to Jellybean, so I want to root my phone, but I have some questions.

-What are the cons of rooting? We all heard the pro's , but are there any cons? (besides voiding warranty)
-How do I root my phone now that it runs Jellybean? I just want to root it for apps like titanium back-up etc. No need to unlock my boot-loader (don't even know what that does) And I don't want to have all my data wiped from my phone.
-How easy is it....I have no experience whatsoever, so is there a dummy's rooting 101 guide to follow? That explains everything. I have seen step-by-step guides that tell you what you need to do, but I'd like one that explains what each step does. I heard Clockwork mod before.....but have no idea what it does....so any easy fully self-contained guide for dummies?

I have been thinking about rooting my phone, but since updating to Jellybean would remove root, I wanted to wait till I got the OTA.
Well this morning I upgraded to Jellybean, so I want to root my phone, but I have some questions.

-What are the cons of rooting? We all heard the pro's , but are there any cons? (besides voiding warranty)
-How do I root my phone now that it runs Jellybean? I just want to root it for apps like titanium back-up etc. No need to unlock my boot-loader (don't even know what that does) And I don't want to have all my data wiped from my phone.
-How easy is it....I have no experience whatsoever, so is there a dummy's rooting 101 guide to follow? That explains everything. I have seen step-by-step guides that tell you what you need to do, but I'd like one that explains what each step does. I heard Clockwork mod before.....but have no idea what it does....so any easy fully self-contained guide for dummies?

This post shows you at least three 1-click solutions for rooting Jelly Bean on the Nexus.

http://androidforums.com/internatio...hspa-samsung-galaxy-nexus-12.html#post4669560

I'm not an expert, but I've rooted two LG Optimus, one LG Esteem, one Samsung Indulge, and now a Galaxy Nexus. First time you have to really read carefully. Since with these 1-click solutions I am using my PC, I disable my antivirus as I don't want that program preventing something from running. "Found and quarantined hacking tool!" Uh, but I was using that hacking tool! :mad:

Also after installing the Samsung USB drivers on your PC, be sure to reboot. Little things like that make a difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones