[International / GSM] What kinds of ROMS...

1. JBNex

JBNex Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a Galaxy Nexus GSM, 4.1.1 JB stock, rooted and unlocked.

I'm wondering what ROMS work with my device THAT don't need me wiping any data. Wiping Dalvik cache is okay but anyones that DON'T require wiping? Also, does flashing ODEX ROMS need wiping data?

Advertisement
  2. thegreen

thegreen Well-Known Member

It's recommended to always wipe data & cache when flashing custom roms. (unless it's a minor update & the dev says a dirty flash is fine)
    Remember, wiping data doesn't touch the 'sd' portion. Use Titanium to save user app data.
  3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

There's no such thing. At some point you must wipe the data. This is why we use TitaniumBackup. From the time I download a new rom, wipe, flash rom, flash gapps, flash TitaniumBackup, reboot into my phone, reinstall backups (apps, sms, mms, call logs, wifi settings) from TiBu... less than 4 minutes has gone by.

When to do a clean wipe: when coming from one rom to another, or coming from one version of Android to another (ie: from ICS to JB).

When to do a dirty wipe (not wiping data): when updating the same rom (ie: AOKP JB Build 1 to Build 2) etc.
  4. JBNex

JBNex Well-Known Member

What does data wipe erase? My app data?
  5. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Hey JBNex, I moved this to the GSM all things root section. Thanks for understanding. :)

Well if you are already rooted, and running a custom recovery, when you do a wipe, you won't lose anything on your "SD card". So pictures, music etc. will stay. Your apps and system data will be erased, but you can use Titanium back-up to restore that stuff. I am able to wipe, flash a rom, and restore everything to the way it was in about an hour, with no connection to a PC needed.
  6. JBNex

JBNex Well-Known Member

So it doesn't delete the backup when wiping? That's convenient!
  7. JBNex

JBNex Well-Known Member

How do you backup SMS, call logs in TB?

Should I backup system data when switching ROMS?

And I will lose my root doing this?
  8. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Give me 10 minutes. Writing up a tutorial for that now. No, you do not lose root. No, never backup system data. Ever.
    JBNex likes this.
  9. JBNex

JBNex Well-Known Member

Wow! For me?! Shouldn't have ;)

Thanks! :D