• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
They have Google Voice for the iPhone from the start :rolleyes: iphones have widgets too. Try searching on Google sometime.

You do realize that Apple is being investigated by the FCC(?) for not allowing the Google voice app in the market?

When defending the Apple... it's better if you use things that aren't so easily disproven.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
Then why do soooo many people ROOT their Android phones and install custom ROMs? Most do it for increases in speed to laggy dialers, keyboards and other functions as well as overall performance upgrades. Thats the same as a jailbreak on an iPhone. A powerful device like a Droid or Nexus One should not have to be rooted and slapped with a custom ROM to increase speed and performance, these things should be expected...Pot, meet kettle :rolleyes:

The Droid or Nexus One shouldn't have to install a custom ROM to tweak the performance.... is somehow comparable to jailbreaking the iPhone to get basic functionality?

Wow.

Are you actively trying to make Apple look bad?

Upvote 0
Personally, I have already paid for Navigon ($99) for navigation so the navigation isn't an issue. Actually if you have the money to blow iPhone has the advantage for cross country trips, if you haven't already bought nav on the iPhone and don't drive cross county google has the HUGE advantage here. Maps are stored on your iPhone (about 2GB) so you don't have to worry about losing a signal and your maps in the middle of no where. I am actually really glad I didn't switch to the droid before I drove from Dallas to Seattle because I was in the middle of no where with no signal when I ran into a highway closed due to weather. No problem with everything stored locally, I would have been screwed with google maps. I realize this is not the case for most people, I just already have the app on iTunes so it's not an issue for me.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but once you get your route setup, it is cached. You wouldn't have had an issue with it.

Also, if you want the maps stored on your device, you can get that from Apps in the market.

Upvote 0
You are missing the whole point. Most iPhone users have no need to jailbreak their phone just as many Android users have no need to root and flash their phones.

With the exception that iPhone users have to choose between giving up basic functionality that's been in phones for years (pre-smartphone) and risking Apple actively trying to destroy their phones...

Android users have to choose between giving up advanced functionality and risking voiding their warranty.

Umm... yeah, those choices aren't even comparable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones