• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone, Apple, and ingenuity

Bluesun_EVO

Jun 4, 2010
Let me preface this by saying that up until about 9 months ago, I loved my iPhone 3G. Every software update, however, the phone became increasingly slow and frustrating to use. My contract with AT&T was due to expire early September, and I was looking for a new phone to replace it. Unlike many other people that I know, I have had very little trouble with AT&T (their overly high prices notwithstanding), but Apple's general stance on personal freedom and openness I have a serious problem with.

Without boring everyone with the mundane details of how I decided on the Evo, suffice it to say that I am now a (very) proud owner of one as of 8:45am this morning.

After only using the Evo for a few hours, saying I am blown away is an understatement; not only with the Evo's hardware, but with Sense UI and Android in general. From the dedicated menu and back buttons, to notifications, to wireless updates...there is just so much forethought put into every aspect, that it's hard to not be impressed.

After picking my iPhone back up (as I said, after only a few hours), the entire UI and overall software design in general seems so incredibly archaic. This would be understandable, given that it's a 3G (and now over 2 years old), but the sad fact of the matter is that new Apple hardware is running this same software -- even the 'praised' iPad!!

I can say nothing other than "how embarrassing" for Apple, and I really mean that. Android isn't just slightly better, or an "alternative"; it's what Apple should have been striving to do -- be creative and innovative. A quaint little grid of icons, an awful "notification" system, and an overall lack of compatibility (Flash?) are just more nails in the coffin for Apple.

After reading reviews on the Evo and Android in general over the past month or two, I feel very mislead by all of the reviewers (in iPhone vs Droid comparisons) that completely failed to mention this very obvious fact. The idea that anyone would ever buy an iPad (with the same awful software) after experiencing what Android is capable of makes me nauseous.

Needless to say, I absolutely love my Evo thus far. The question for my iPhone now becomes: "Will it blend?"

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones