• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone OS 4.0

All they did was copy the UI(mostly) from existing platforms....

HTC has always had excellent hardware.

Yes shame about the interface and software.....

and as for copying, nope they took the best bits and developed it further...Isn't that a rather good idea in business. All the other manufacturers had years to develop such a platform and didn't. They also all borrowed ideas of each other, it's how everything gets developed/produced etc, just look at the Japanese.

Sorry I am new to the forums and not trying to troll or have an argument, I just believe sometimes balance is needed in a thread, even on opposing os forums :)

Upvote 0
Seriously? Why is that? Oh, yes, right, you don't need to work with Creative Suite.

And how about something called revenue? Adobe's going to live off PC's only? Why in the hell they'd like to do that?

And since when did you NEED a mac to do work, when you can get a PC that costs less and is equal to or BETTER then mac software.

I have to use a current gen imac in class, I have to use an 8 year old pc at home and when I am running photoshop, dreamweaver, indesign, or illustrator I have zero problems with the programs running at home. At school the programs freeze hourly.

If it were not for adobe, mac would not have been the preferred computer of choice for designers. Now that Apple err Steve Jobs wants to have a pissing match, Adobe should not let their products work on a mac....apple started it, Adobe should finish it...

Upvote 0
And since when did you NEED a mac to do work, when you can get a PC that costs less and is equal to or BETTER then mac software.

I have to use a current gen imac in class, I have to use an 8 year old pc at home and when I am running photoshop, dreamweaver, indesign, or illustrator I have zero problems with the programs running at home. At school the programs freeze hourly.

If it were not for adobe, mac would not have been the preferred computer of choice for designers. Now that Apple err Steve Jobs wants to have a pissing match, Adobe should not let their products work on a mac....apple started it, Adobe should finish it...

Your not the first person to suggest it, and a lot of people have commented they agree (not just on these forums but, around the internet in general).

Upvote 0
I'm not trying to pick arguments or anything, but read your text in bold here. I'm sorry, but just because Apple did something as far as user friendliness, and certain design aspects, that does not say that nobody else would have done it. This goes for either at around the same time, or even a little bit after Apple did some things.

Just because iPhone appealed to the masses quicker, doesn't mean nobody else would have ever done it. And for the simple fact that they DID appeal to the masses quicker, doesn't mean their device is top notch in the smart phone category, and I hardly believe for a second that they "revolutionized" the market in a sense that if it weren't for them, all smart phones would suck or not have anything that we see in them today, feature or design wise.

He didnt say it never would've happened, he said it wouldn't be where it is now, which is very likely true. Before the IPhone smartphones were mostly for businessmen or geeks, and the IPhone was the first smartphone to really step up its game in the UI/usability/browsing department. Apple didn't really do anything particularly new on its own, but it definitely set the standard for how we expected to interact with smartphones from that point forward. Look at it this way: it more or less completely killed of WinMo overnight, which previously had a huge marketshare, because it after that it appeared so outdated and kludgy. While I much prefer Android it's silly to say that the IPhone didn't move things forward, and more competition is always a good thing for the end user. And for what its worth, I think if Android would just implement a webOS or maemo approach to multitasking it could go a long way to eating even further into the IPhone's user base.

Upvote 0
i think alot of people recognize what apple and the iphone has done but some folks like and enjoy their android period,its not just on the forums but in the media,news article and magazine everyone wants to compare the newest phones to the iphone and even if that phone is just as good or better they still will try to put the iphone ahead.but lets be honest the iphone hasn't done much since the original,and a wide variety of smart phones have step up big.the i phone is mundane and that UI is stale.

Upvote 0
Anyone who uses a mac now won't have the hardware to support the latest and greatest adobe has to offer.

Also, the iphone, is not a smartphone. Its a featurephone. Big difference.

Sorry it is Adobe running scared not Apple, they have approx $40billion in the bank as a warchest and most Apple users don't really care about flash, not sure what that has got to do with this thread though...

As for the Iphone being a featurephone rather than a smartphone, sorry I beg to disagree, as will most developers...You seem to be very anti apple for some reason! all I am trying to point out is they have changed the way the smart phone market has gone and are still a major player regardless. They deserve some credit. I am happy with my X10, but Android also has a long way to go.

Upvote 0
Sorry it is Adobe running scared not Apple, they have approx $40billion in the bank as a warchest and most Apple users don't really care about flash, not sure what that has got to do with this thread though...

As for the Iphone being a featurephone rather than a smartphone, sorry I beg to disagree, as will most developers...You seem to be very anti apple for some reason! all I am trying to point out is they have changed the way the smart phone market has gone and are still a major player regardless. They deserve some credit. I am happy with my X10, but Android also has a long way to go.

Lol no, it is a feature phone.

And yes, that whole 3% market share apple has on the pc market really has adobe running scared :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Lol no, it is a feature phone.

And yes, that whole 3% market share apple has on the pc market really has adobe running scared :rolleyes:

As I said I wonder why you are so anti apple? Market share, Adobe is not even in the same league as Apple, for market capitalisation I believe they are just behind Microsoft now, Adobe are not even in the equation. The old os argument is a mute point, the future does not reside there,hence why you have google, microsoft and apple all developing integrated mobile/desktop solutions and the cloud of course.

The so called smartphone share of the market is only around 6%, it's nothing, the emerging markets is where companies such as Nokia are thriving in. I don't think Apple really care what Adobe do, a few years ago maybe but not now.

As for the featurephone/smartphone argument, semantics really, call it whatever you want, it's here to stay regardless. Shame you are not able to look at just one side of the debate. I am a chartered IT professional and wouldn't touch apple in the environment I work in, a full microsoft house, does that mean I cannot look at competing technologies without having to justify everything? Everything changes especially in this arena hence why I try to look at all sides and keep an open mind, but thats just me :)

Upvote 0
Anyone who uses a mac now won't have the hardware to support the latest and greatest adobe has to offer.

Also, the iphone, is not a smartphone. Its a featurephone. Big difference.

Reading you guys, is like reading the iPhone forums. I am not insulting you here, but most of you sound like hardcore android fan boys and act like the Appleworm fan boys (My gf invented that expression, spread it around!)

saying the iPhone isn't a smart phone is just....you can read your mails, set your appointment, remote vncs, control distant servers with it, write office documents, amongst thousands of others, it IS a smart phone.

and have you all forgotten 2007 when you saw the first iPhone what you really thought?

I agree it has become stale, and boring, and I too am a hard core Googleclick worshiper (She invented that too, spread that around as well...) But there is no way I am going around spreading hate and misinformation about the iPhone

I dont understand the near hatred posts I read here.

iPhone brought the Appstore idea to life, if it wasnt for them, there wouldnt be Android, the whole app market dominating and being the most important part of a phone is because of apple.

The only reason I went to android is because of the APPS, what good is such a powerfull phone without apps.

give them the credit they deserve and stop spreading the hate, and I really am a hardcore Android follower.

peace out.

Upvote 0
Partial multitasking and folders. Wow, so ground breaking.

I'm sure it is amusing to non-geeks, but I find the approach Apple has quite intruiging.

Folders and wallpapers might not be very groundbreaking - to Android users it sounds very trivial.

But I like the local and remote push notifications, the limitations in which the apps can be written and the approach towards multitasking.

When you limit the languages the apps can be written in to C/C++/Objective C written towards the device apis and not any third party ones, you got the right tool for the job. You don't get some quick and dirty port or created with generators that might not end up with an optimized experience. And even how much that might pain some developers, it'll be all good for the end users.

Same goes for the multitasking. Only certain kind of software will be able to multitask, and only the processes needed will remain in memory when the task is switched away. This will minimize the memory footprint of the background app(s).

I've never head of any public development platform ever beeing enforced such rules, but I'm impressed by the balls that Apple has with doing so. After growing up with the vic 20, c64 and the amiga I look back in retrospect in amazement on what they managed to get out of the limited resources. Apple seem to be very protective of the quality and resources of the iphone experience by enforcing such rules, and I find that a good thing.

Not that it'll make me consider switching to an iphone. I'd rather write java apps and live with the possible bloat it adds by beeing a higher level language than c/c++/objective c. Maybe in some years, if Android haven't squished iphone os into an computer historic event that happened around the end of the first decade of the new millenium.

Upvote 0
I'm glad there are a few posters who understand what I am saying. I am now using the X10 as my main phone and the Iphone with OS4 as a test device, that in itself says something, however it doesn't mean I don't rate the Iphone or what it has done for the industry. I hope with the Android OS and Apple with their new Windows 7 series keep innovating, as well as apple, it can only be good for us consumers in the end. LAck of competition leads to stagnation and laziness.

Upvote 0
What happened? All the other companies got together and decided to make their own PC architecture, which would be universally compatible and free from licence. They effectively made IBM irrelevant.

There are an awful lot of similarities with what Apple are doing now.

Wasn't it compaq that reverse-engineered the bios (which was the only ibm-protected part. The IBM Pcs were otherwise made by items available off shelf without any tie to ibm) thus beeing able to produce 100% compatible IBM clones.

And of course the deal they made with Microsoft (IBM) that meant they just licenced the OS and that Microsoft were free to sell it to any other mfg.

In other words, IBMs problem was that they didn't protect their interests. Which is something Apple is by far the best in doing.

But if Android continue to get traction, you'll see more and more developers choosing Android because of the lack of control. Your certain your app WILL meet the marked and you can develope it in any way you want as long as it compiles. :)

Upvote 0
lol... all I have to say is apple tried the same approach in the 80's. They lost. Winmo/palm are the ones who truely innovated the smartphone market, not apple. Funny part is, I had a sanyo mm8300. That flipphone, could do what most of the original iphone could do. Hell it even had 3g. I hate how people are so blinded by apples media crap as innovation. Apple didn't innovate anything for a phone. They took already exisiting things, and used them and rode the success of the ipod. The ipod was and is the only product from apple worth buying, but they are losing that marketshare too. Iphone will go dead, android is the iphone killer. Android currenty has a higher app store growth rate and adoptions than iphone did in the same time frame.

Upvote 0
Semantics again Iowa, I have no idea why you have such a blinkered viewpoint. Of course the app store is growing faster for Android as there are alot more developers out there setup for mobile programming.

Wake up and take off those shades, there's room for 3 big players in this market, not forgetting Nokia of course. I'm not going to continue this debate any longer as we are going round in circles.

Upvote 0
Semantics again Iowa, I have no idea why you have such a blinkered viewpoint. Of course the app store is growing faster for Android as there are alot more developers out there setup for mobile programming.

Wake up and take off those shades, there's room for 3 big players in this market, not forgetting Nokia of course. I'm not going to continue this debate any longer as we are going round in circles.

Semantics? I thin not. It just seems you ran out of ammo to me. "Of course android market is growing faster " there have been a lot of mobile devs way before iphone, android, etc. Also another thing I don't know I mentioned is android actually predates the iphone by a whopping two years. And to beat it all, steve jobs acts surprised about android when he knew about it the whole time. In fact, rumor has it eric schmidt and steve jobs actually collaborated on some ideas for mobile platofrms. Seems to me like steve jobs got sown up, and he's just being a crybaby about it. Much like when the iphone supporters do.

Upvote 0
semantics? I thin not. It just seems you ran out of ammo to me. "of course android market is growing faster " there have been a lot of mobile devs way before iphone, android, etc. Also another thing i don't know i mentioned is android actually predates the iphone by a whopping two years. And to beat it all, steve jobs acts surprised about android when he knew about it the whole time. In fact, rumor has it eric schmidt and steve jobs actually collaborated on some ideas for mobile platofrms. Seems to me like steve jobs got sown up, and he's just being a crybaby about it. Much like when the iphone supporters do.

ftw

Upvote 0
I dont think he ran out of ammo, I think he, like me, is getting bored with your biased hatred towards apple and is not finding the need to carry on the argument, I am saying this for your sake, just stop a second, and open up a bit.

Thankyou PurpleSkyz, this is it exactly it, no point in debating with someone who actually isn't able to provide any rational arguments or thoughts.

IOWA I'll let you think whatever :)

Upvote 0
something i personally dont get is this feeling like we owe crApple this warm hug and "thank you" for getting us where we are...?

the personal feeling i have is that crApple didnt thank anybody in their gouging of other OS's and apple didnt show this said gratitude towards ANYBODY and has the sack to sue over what they "coined"

thats 1 particular reason i loathe Apple. the people i know that have them act as though they are such innovative machines that the world has them to thank for getting us where we are today.

i'm a nobody and know next to nothing but can always add my .02

Upvote 0
Thankyou PurpleSkyz, this is it exactly it, no point in debating with someone who actually isn't able to provide any rational arguments or thoughts.

IOWA I'll let you think whatever :)

Yes, because cold hard facts aren't by any means rational.

Just like apple loving trolls showing up and actively engaging in an android forum, is also rational.

Upvote 0
Yes, because cold hard facts aren't by any means rational.

Just like apple loving trolls showing up and actively engaging in an android forum, is also rational.

IWOA, so it has now gone personal, please please show me where I have "trolled" as you so put it, you can't handle a proper debate, so you resort to calling me a troll. Firstly as I pointed out right from the beginning that my main phone is an X10, secondly please can any person who has read this thread please comment on IOWA's remarks about me being a troll. If the community think I am I will gladly leave the forums. Anyway IOWA call me whatever as I will not grace you with anymore replies regardless of what you say, I will leave that for others.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones