• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is Apple Scared of Android?

punkzanyj

Android Expert
Oct 20, 2008
I've noticed a few commercials for the iPhone that highlight the app store for the iphone.

Hasn't the iPhone app store been around since the first iPhone? And now suddenly they want to use that in their marketing? This move to me looks like Apple is saying:

"Wait wait, wait, iPhone has apps, too! See we're still the coolest, we have an App store!"

Strikes me as sad and desperate.

I've noticed a few commercials for the iPhone that highlight the app store for the iphone.

Hasn't the iPhone app store been around since the first iPhone? And now suddenly they want to use that in their marketing? This move to me looks like Apple is saying:

"Wait wait, wait, iPhone has apps, too! See we're still the coolest, we have an App store!"

Strikes me as sad and desperate.
Yea, they started showing apps that are on the G1 that are also on the iPhone. Lik Shazzam and Pac-Man.

Upvote 0
Hasn't the iPhone app store been around since the first iPhone?

The app store came out with the 2.0 version of the iPhone software which was when the 3G iPhone came out during the summer.

I really doubt Apple is scared of Android. Apple isn't about the product so much as the image. I think the iPod still dominates not because it's the best product, but because it's a good product with great marketing. You buy the brand, not the product with Apple.

The iPhone will probably do well for the same reason.

Plus it's just dead easy to use and reliable. I've owned an iPhone since Feb and while I think my G1 is "superior" and my iPhone is going to be sold soon, I think most people will be more comfortable with the iPhone. Especially iPod users.

Microsoft is the one that should be scared. Android will probably destroy them in the mobile phone market.

Upvote 0
Interesting observations...a few thoughts.

First, Apple just passed a quite a few manufacturers and now is one of the top mobile device makers (as in mobile phones) in the world. With Motorola falling fast despite their Android love, Samsung is really the player to beat on the way up, with Nokia holding their own. Apple is on a metoric rise.

Blackberry is entrenched in government and business like Windows for the PC, but there is room for more players clearly.

Now the next part to know about Android vs. Apple and others....

Andy Rubin helped start Danger with a bunch of Apple ex-employees and they created the Sidekick. He left at some point and formed a company that was sucked up by Google and became Android as we know it. A lot Danger and Sidekick is still seen in the device, but he also evolved the technology and direction. The App market, known as the Catalog was first on the Sidekick, and always the plan of that platform.

And in the world of crazy, Microsoft bought Danger about a year ago now. So as to the Marketplace, Hardware Race, and the rest.....I think the comment's on Apple are spot on, and they will continue to climb. Can Android? Probably faster/better than Danger/Microsoft as there is a single OS that Google supports.

It will be interesting....and the fragmentation will help all of us.

Upvote 0
BTW just read that Apple is now the number 1 seller of phones in North America.

I'd like to see the source for that. And the context...

Blackberry is still the powerhouse in the professional environment. Neither Iphone nor G1 are really going to bust in there until they get past their flashy feel abilities and seriously get down to data protection and network integration. It will be interesting to see where the G1/Future android phones can go once we get true exchange integration and mobile office abilities.

As for Apple being scared...I doubt they are..probably peeved at the market share loss, as ATT probably is.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see the source for that. And the context...

Blackberry is still the powerhouse in the professional environment. Neither Iphone nor G1 are really going to bust in there until they get past their flashy feel abilities and seriously get down to data protection and network integration. It will be interesting to see where the G1/Future android phones can go once we get true exchange integration and mobile office abilities.

As for Apple being scared...I doubt they are..probably peeved at the market share loss, as ATT probably is.

Source linky - http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2008/11/10/the-iphone-is-now-the-best-selling-phone-in-the-us/

Upvote 0
I don't think Apple is "scared" but I definitely see your point. iPhone commercials in the past didn't focus on the App Store.

In another thread, I complained that the G1 commercials don't focus on the Android Market. I think Apple is marketing the right way (as usual) while T-Mobile/G1 is going a more round about way.

The problem is, with the current G1 commercials the average everyday person still doesn't know that the G1 has an application market where you can download all these cool things for free.

As far as Apple being scared? No... I just think they have superior marketing which many people (especially fanboys) would say. I think they recognize the threat of Android and are now plotting for the next phase of Apple devices (HD, Nano, Economy, different colors, etc...)

Upvote 0
Agreed. Apple isn't scared and does have better marketing.

What Apple did well is control ATT. Google hasn't been doing their own TV/Print/Radio ads (ever) so for them to try and pull rank on Android's launch is a bit much for Tmobile.

It always surprises me when company's market to the lowest common denominator. The G1 could easily be marketed for what it is, and no reason to "camp it up" with the ads they have done to date. But hey even Microsoft realized their first attempt with big names celeb Seinfeld was bombing and switched gears to simple, youtube like ads which are much more watchable and catchy.

Another minor thing the G1 showcases in the last seconds of the spots are the swipe to the right, ala iPhone unlock, and clearly that is causing people to say, oh look "Apple has a new phone" which is a bad move. They are confusing even to a G1 fan.

Upvote 0
I think the difference between Apple's marketing and Google not doing there own is the simple fact that the Iphone was designed both hardware wise and os wise by Apple. Compared to the G1 being designed hardware wise by HTC and not by google and the os only being from google. I also dont understand why everyone is comparing there phone to the iphone. i remeber when i had an ocean from helio everyone was trying to call it an iphone killer.

Upvote 0
I think the difference between Apple's marketing and Google not doing there own is the simple fact that the Iphone was designed both hardware wise and os wise by Apple. Compared to the G1 being designed hardware wise by HTC and not by google and the os only being from google. I also dont understand why everyone is comparing there phone to the iphone. i remeber when i had an ocean from helio everyone was trying to call it an iphone killer.

Don't think so. Here in Atlanta we've seen the commercials for the App store since 2.o was introduced. So I don't know if it is a south thing.

Just as the previous tread, People that buy Apple buy the brand and not the product. They swear by it no matter what Apple produces.

The Dev Team and the sexy structure of the iPhone made the iPhone what it is. I really don't see the G1 selling as much as the iPhone. No never know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones