Is it possible to......

Last Updated:

1. Durnit

Durnit New Member This Topic's Starter

So I've decided to go back to school and will be paying tuition out of pocket. I need to cut back on household bills so I canceled cable, home phone and internet. I now use my htc hero (sprint) to access the net on my laptop. My problem is, I miss my DVR. :(
    I've looked into buying a Tivo so I can tape the local shows I miss while at work. The site says it needs to be hooked to a landline OR through an ethranet (I think) cable for updates. My question is, is it possible to....
    Connect my hero to the laptop and access the net, then connect the Tivo to the laptop so that it can update. The Tivo rep says no, it needs to be a continuous connection, but I think my DVR updated once daily and I believe I had it set for what time to update. Aren't they all just about the same? I really don't want to have to get a landline for this. I do everything by computer, even fax.

Thanks, sorry so long

Advertisement
  2. sitlet

sitlet Banned

Yes, you just need a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two, and you need to bridge the two connections in windows. I would tell you how, but it depends on what version of windows you have.

You could also get a wireless gaming adapter, which is basically a wireless receiver with an ethernet output.

3. Durnit

Durnit New Member This Topic's Starter

I have Windows 6.0 (build 6001: service pack 1) Vista Home Premium.
    Don't know if you needed all of that but I wanted to be detailed.
    How would a wireless gaming adapter work if I'm using the phone for internet access?

4. sitlet

sitlet Banned

It takes wifi and converts it to ethernet. Sorry I thought you were using your phone as a hotspot, but I see you are just connecting it with usb.