• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is it possible to......

Durnit

Lurker
Sep 16, 2010
So I've decided to go back to school and will be paying tuition out of pocket. I need to cut back on household bills so I canceled cable, home phone and internet. I now use my htc hero (sprint) to access the net on my laptop. My problem is, I miss my DVR. :(
I've looked into buying a Tivo so I can tape the local shows I miss while at work. The site says it needs to be hooked to a landline OR through an ethranet (I think) cable for updates. My question is, is it possible to....
Connect my hero to the laptop and access the net, then connect the Tivo to the laptop so that it can update. The Tivo rep says no, it needs to be a continuous connection, but I think my DVR updated once daily and I believe I had it set for what time to update. Aren't they all just about the same? I really don't want to have to get a landline for this. I do everything by computer, even fax.

Thanks, sorry so long

My question is, is it possible to....
Connect my hero to the laptop and access the net, then connect the Tivo to the laptop so that it can update

Yes, you just need a crossover ethernet cable to connect the two, and you need to bridge the two connections in windows. I would tell you how, but it depends on what version of windows you have.

You could also get a wireless gaming adapter, which is basically a wireless receiver with an ethernet output.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones