• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is possible to read USB Flash drive from Desire through cable?

Possible in theory, but you'd need a custom kernel that provides USB Host mode, and probably a custom cable.

Edit: It's even fiddlier than I expected, even. Not only do you need a custom cable, and to provide power to the USB drive in question, but you also need to change kernels to go BACK to USB slave mode -- ie: to be able to mount your Desire on your PC to copy files, &c.

So when you want to read stuff from a flash drive, you flash the USB host kernel, pull out your gonzo cable, copy a file or two, then flash the kernel back when you want the phone to go back to normal? Not worth the trouble, I say.

Reactions: solosaniok
Upvote 0
Possible in theory, but you'd need a custom kernel that provides USB Host mode, and probably a custom cable.

Edit: It's even fiddlier than I expected, even. Not only do you need a custom cable, and to provide power to the USB drive in question, but you also need to change kernels to go BACK to USB slave mode -- ie: to be able to mount your Desire on your PC to copy files, &c.

So when you want to read stuff from a flash drive, you flash the USB host kernel, pull out your gonzo cable, copy a file or two, then flash the kernel back when you want the phone to go back to normal? Not worth the trouble, I say.

Yep i guess you are right. Just wondering and didnt find any info.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones