• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is the Droid X upgrade incentive happening or not?

I'm not adding to the confusion. It is what it is. There are not two separate promotions going on. People are reading too much into it. I guess on the 15th all of these people who assume or have been told that they are gonna be able to upgrade find out they are actually not elegible for an upgrade are gonna be really disappointed. Either that or I am gonna be eating a lot of crow. :D Trust me I do hope that it is true about the upgrade. I really don't wanna add another line to get the X. If I can actually get it for the upgrade price on my current primary line I will be ecstatic. But I'm not holding my breath. Don't look too good in purple.

Yeah I mean if you want to be as skeptical as possible until July 15th or after no one is stopping you, but it can make things more confusing for others. The actual Verizon document has been posted and other people in this thread and other forums (including verizon/bestbuy mobile workers) have confirmed it. The issue about eligible for upgrade in 2010 vs contract ending in 2010 was much more confusing (engadget, phone arena and some other places actually got it 100% wrong), but again the document and verizon press release make it clear only contracts ending in 2010 can get the next best activity promotion.

Upvote 0
There is so much conflicting information right now between the call centers, corporate stores and the forums/tech sites. But if people have seen an internal document that says you can upgrade to any smart phone early if you contract ends in 2010, and CS is confirming that people are eligible then it must be true. Congrats to those of you who qualify.

Sorry if I added to anyone's confusion. I was just going by what I was told on 3 different occasions.

Upvote 0
There is so much conflicting information right now between the call centers, corporate stores and the forums/tech sites. But if people have seen an internal document that says you can upgrade to any smart phone early if you contract ends in 2010, and CS is confirming that people are eligible then it must be true. Congrats to those of you who qualify.

Sorry if I added to anyone's confusion. I was just going by what I was told on 3 different occasions.

its cool man, as with almost everything that we speculate on, there will always be misinformation out there. the problem/confusion comes when we receive this bad info from people we trust.

Upvote 0
1. Print off the flier indicating the statement about contracts ending in 2010 and being able to upgrade.

2. Go to MyVerizon and print off the page that lists your contract end date.

3. If anyone at Best Buy or Verizon gives you a hard time, just show them those papers and ask to speak to a manager if it's a problem.

4. Go home with your new phone at Two-year contract pricing.

You're welcome.

Upvote 0
Press Release - July 2010: DROID X By Motorola Lands On The Nation’s Largest & Most Reliable 3G Network
(all the way down at the bottom)

Customers can add the optional 3G Mobile Hotspot service to their DROID X for $20 per month. The 3G Mobile Hotspot allows customers to turn the phone into a wireless modem for up to five compatible Wi-Fi devices. In addition, current Verizon Wireless customers who have contracts ending by December 31, 2010, can upgrade to any smartphone, including DROID X, without penalty.

Contract End Date - In the center of the MyVerizon page for your line you should see something showing minutes used so far this billing cycle. There should be two links inside this little grayed out box and one is plan details, click it and your contract end date will be listed right at the top.

Upvote 0
What is the big deal with this promotion? This early upgrade is really only a 1.5 month early upgrade if your contract ends on Dec 31st. The only big deal would be if you want the droid x on release date you now can.

It's a big deal for me because my upgrade date got pushed back to March 2011 since I had to exchange my Storm for a Tour for the MultiFRU program.

Upvote 0
People are still confused about this. There is no special promotion that will allow anyone with a contract end or annual upgrade in 2010 to upgrade early to the Droid X. During the press conference they announced that anyone who's contract ended in 2010 could upgrade to a Droid X. What they failed to mention is that this promotion is for non smart phone users and is for any smart phone. Not just the DX. Obviously it was a Droid X event so that was going to be their main point of focus when talking about the upgrade promotion.

Now there is always a chance that they could announce a completely different promotion closer to or after launch that would allow maybe current Droid owners to upgrade or maybe even anyone with a contract end in 2010 to upgrade. But I wouldn't count on it. They have our money and most of us are under contract so they are more focused on getting more new customers locked into 2 year data contracts.

I think I am confused by the statement "There is no special promotion that will allow anyone with a contract end or annual upgrade in 2010 to upgrade early to the Droid X." My contract is up December 23. I called Verizon and was told I could upgrade July 15th to the X for $199 for a two year contract. How is this not a special promotion? I think I am reading your comments incorrectly.

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure -- not to throw more fuel on the fire -- but I'm pretty certain if you call VZW (the 800 number, not a store) and confirm the details beforehand, you won't have an issue. Have them note your account and/or give you some sort of code or reference to let Skippy in the Verizon store that you're eligible for whatever upgrade du jour they're offering.

I never call my local Verizon store(s) only because they always seem to tell me "We're not sure, call back later" -- not worth the five minutes' hold time and the ten seconds talking to someone, IMHO.

Upvote 0
I emailed them and received a phone call and at first the lady had no idea what i was talking about so she told me she would look around and call me back. 5 minutes later she called back and said she did find it on her site and that i would be good to go. I have the emails that were sent to me so if they try and say anything I will bring them along just in case. Even though my verizon store already said i was good to go

Upvote 0
I think I am confused by the statement "There is no special promotion that will allow anyone with a contract end or annual upgrade in 2010 to upgrade early to the Droid X." My contract is up December 23. I called Verizon and was told I could upgrade July 15th to the X for $199 for a two year contract. How is this not a special promotion? I think I am reading your comments incorrectly.

If your contract ends in 2010 you can upgrade TO ANY SMARTPHONE. The press release and the internal memo state anyone can do it as long as their contract end date is in 2010 and they haven't already used their upgrade this year. There is no restriction on what type of phone you already have.

Upvote 0
I emailed them and received a phone call and at first the lady had no idea what i was talking about so she told me she would look around and call me back. 5 minutes later she called back and said she did find it on her site and that i would be good to go. I have the emails that were sent to me so if they try and say anything I will bring them along just in case. Even though my verizon store already said i was good to go

whats the email?? i just called again and was told i have to wait to my upgrade date (november) to upgrade :mad: why doesnt verizon keep their people in check??

Upvote 0
whats the email?? i just called again and was told i have to wait to my upgrade date (november) to upgrade :mad: why doesnt verizon keep their people in check??

Trust me, keep calling. My upgrade date wasn't until November and my contract end date was January 2nd, and they bumped me up. I have already confirmed today at the local store that it shows in my account that I will be eligible to upgrade on the 15th.

Upvote 0
Trust me, keep calling. My upgrade date wasn't until November and my contract end date was January 2nd, and they bumped me up. I have already confirmed today at the local store that it shows in my account that I will be eligible to upgrade on the 15th.

i know i called and they said i could once i find the person who says i can im gonna have them note the account

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones