• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is there an app that *lowers* volume?

I sometimes listen to music at night, and I put the media volume on the lowest setting. I'd like to set it even lower. Is there an app that can do that? Thanks.

Update: I'm using headphones. I'm trying to get a volume lower than the current lowest setting. I'd like to find a software solution for this.

Do you use the phone's built in speaker? The sound quality can't be that good. It isn't on my phone.

My suggestion is get a set of external speakers. Those will have their own volume control on them which will allow you to fine tune it closer to your liking.

If you are using headphones, my pair has a volume control on them as well that I use to get the volume precisely how I want it.

Upvote 0
I'm using headphones before I go to sleep, and want to be able to gradually lower volume to nearly inaudible levels. My ears adjust to the volume like my eyes adjust to low-light; so a low volume seems louder as I get adjusted.

I will be getting a volume dial to go between my headphones & phone, but I'd love if there were an app that allowed more fine-grained control of the volume.

Upvote 0
I wonder if any of these music players allow volumes less than the "1" setting? I have a music player that allows me to adjust volume, but it's the same as adjusting the normal "Media Volume" - the lowest setting is still not low enough.

Has anyone used a music player that truly allows lower volumes than the stock android Media Volume setting?

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Upvote 0
How about moving your phone 2 feet further away from your ears? I'm serious.

I can try that, but I don't think that will affect headphone volume. In a related note, sometimes when I'm listening to something on headphones and it's too quiet, I instinctively hold my phone closer to my ears. Then I quickly hope no one saw that.

I came across this which "might" help (down near the bottom of 1st post):
http://androidforums.com/vibrant-ti...ck-built-day-time-firmware-gps-test-more.html
but yeah, I can't hear anything at "1"... put the phone under a pillow.

That's definitely interesting, but it appears to only affect maximum volume. But the range is interesting - the default levels go up to 88. Maybe that means that the volume is stored internally as a number between 0 and 100. That means even if I can only click in big increments with the volume rocket, maybe an app could set more fine-grained control of the volume.

And again, I feel like putting the phone under a pillow will do nothing for headphone volume. I will try it and report back.

Upvote 0
Sarcasm. It's a dying art, but you nailed it my friend.

Thanks! :)

+1 for PowerAMP. The in-built equalizer has a 'pre-amp' slide which you can use to tweak the volume levels even further. Plus it's a really great audio player. Unfortunately this won't work for radio feeds etc, only media played within PowerAMP, hope this helps.

I tried out the demo of PowerAMP - and it does indeed do what I wanted! I turned the pre-amp down, and that lowers the volume of the song in combination with the overall media volume. So if the preamp is halfway down, all song volume in poweramp is half what it is normally.

So this works, and I may end up purchasing poweramp. I was hoping that I'd be able to use a fix with my current media player, but at least I found something that works. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones