• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root iTouch tethering to an LG Ally

OK, without having to root my phone with 16 annoying steps, I was trying to use PDAnet Bluetooth DUN to tether my new iTouch to the LG Ally. Unfortunately, the iTouch says the LG Ally isnt a supported device. I also have an iPad (same error) So does anyone know of a way to do this? I work on a windows 7 pc, so Linux rooting isnt my bag. Do I just have to wait till someone makes an EZ App? I know my phone will get tethering in the new update (whenever that is) but I know verizon will charge extra to use it.

If you took the recent firmware update (to VZC), Universal Androot won't help. Try z4root from the market -- I've not used it, but many in the root forum have reported success.

The app z4root will work perfectly on the Ally. I use wifi tether on mine. Everything connects to my phone flawlessly with faster connection speeds than Barnacle.

Upvote 0
My ipod says that it connects to the phones ad hoc, but it won't let me acess anything internet wise. Can't go on itunes, the app store, youtube anything. Any help? Also im 2nd gen 8gb (old 2nd) on final 4.1 jailbroken

I have the exact same iPod, except mines on 4.2.1 jailbroken. You could try restoring to 4.2.1 and see if that works.

Upvote 0
If you took the recent firmware update (to VZC), Universal Androot won't help. Try z4root from the market -- I've not used it, but many in the root forum have reported success.

But, as RussianMenace stated, all you can do at this point is create an ad-hoc network which may not work for your situation.

z4root roots fantabulously on the Ally. However, it is not on the market. You have to enable Non-trusted apps, and get it from here:

z4root download for Android - Softpedia

PS I do not vouch for this source, feel free to google search "z4root" and choose your own download source for the apk.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones