• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Just discovered magnetic pick up for landscape dock mode

drkrishall

Mar 30, 2010
Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I just identified the location of the magnetic pickup for triggering standard dock mode and car mode. I have attached an image that shows the approx location. Also it appears that there are slightly different locations to determine standard dock or car dock. Car dock triggers driving mode and driving in moto Assist. Not sure I'd this is new with kit Kat or not... Just got my ota today.

Hope this interest you guys as much as it does me. Can't wait to make my own car dock now!

EDIT:
It appears that the trigger difference between dock mode and car mode is not magnet location but instead polarity of the magnet. VERY COOL!

Attachments

• 1389760164027.jpg
    1389760164027.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 100
Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I just identified the location of the magnetic pickup for triggering standard dock mode and car mode. I have attached an image that shows the approx location. Also it appears that there are slightly different locations to determine standard dock or car dock. Car dock triggers driving mode and driving in moto Assist. Not sure I'd this is new with kit Kat or not... Just got my ota today.

EDIT:
It appears that the trigger difference between dock mode and car mode is not magnet location but instead polarity of the magnet. VERY COOL!

Thanks for the post. I know that many people will benefit from it.

FWIW, this behavior is not new with KitKat - it existed from the beginning.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones