• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Just rooted, I'm technologically challenged and need help! xD

PhazonJuke

Dec 2, 2010
I just rooted my Samsung Captivate. I have installed the Titanium Backup, Busybox installer, ROM Manager and i have the Superuser permission app.

I want to know how i can get 2.2 or 2.3 on my phone. I want to know whats the most reliable user made update that will make my phone faster and more efficient. I need step by step instructions on how to do so. I know enough about computers to know what you guys mean when you guys say somethings but just try to keep everything in laymans terms.

Aside from that i also want to know what ATT bloatware is safe to remove.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks :D

Just keep in mind that all of the 2.2 ROMs are unofficial hacked-up ROMs and all have issues and carry risks. You can brick your phone.

See the Captivate FAQ:
ROMs and Flashing - CapFAQ

But as long as you're ok with the risks and known issues. :) Knock yourself out.

There is no stable/usable 2.3 for the Captivate yet. Give it time... it just came out and only on the Nexus S.

Most ROMs already remove the bloatware for you. Be very careful about trying to actually remove it yourself... there are odd dependencies that you don't expect that can cause removal to break other things. On 2.1 it's recommended that you actually not remove them but disable them by "freezing" in Titanium Backup. Again, see the Captivate FAQ:

Uninstalling stock apps - CapFAQ

Reactions: james27007
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones