• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help KitKat update

mobileminx

Lurker
Nov 27, 2013
I received the kit Kat update for my nexus 4, which I installed a few days ago. I have to say it's the worst update I've installed. My battery is losing its charge alot faster than usual. the minute I take it off a full charge, it loses 8% without doing anything.

My phone is constantly locking up and rebooting itself.

When the battery is running low, as soon as it reaches about 30%, the phone switches off, with no warning.

Really not impressed. Some of my apps are not working properly.

Please advise when this is going to be fixed

Thank you

Haven't had any of those issues. So far, I haven't noticed any real issues or incompatibilities. There are a couple of things I'm not so keen on but plenty more that are actually kinda cute, if not exactly revolutionary.

There have however, been two builds released - the initial one then a bug fix one. The build I have - KRT16S - is the bug fix one: might be worth checking if that's what you have.

Upvote 0
Thank you for replying to my message.
I have checked my build and I do have the build number KRT16S. I'm noticing more and more problems each day.

My back arrow doesn't want to work on things. I can't always get the keyboard up for typing. Getting more and more frustrated with the phone now.

Thank you

Upvote 0
This isn't a symptom of a bad OS or premature release. Everything described here is symptomatic of having remnants of the previous OS interfering with the update.

At the least, I'd recommend booting into recovery and clearing the cache partition. It still might require a few apps to have their caches cleared as well. Optimally, it would be best to backup ALL your data and then perform a factory reset to make sure that you have a fresh copy of 4.4.

Upvote 0
This isn't a symptom of a bad OS or premature release. Everything described here is symptomatic of having remnants of the previous OS interfering with the update.

To be fair, there have been a lot of bugs reported with the OTA - problems that aren't present in the factory image builds, even those that didn't wipe.

At the least, I'd recommend booting into recovery and clearing the cache partition. It still might require a few apps to have their caches cleared as well. Optimally, it would be best to backup ALL your data and then perform a factory reset to make sure that you have a fresh copy of 4.4.

Maybe some of the steps mentioned in http://androidforums.com/nexus-4/799868-nexus-4-kitkat-update-problem.html will be helpful for you.

Upvote 0
I did the OTA update on both of our Nexus 4 and a Nexus 7. Didn't clear caches or anything. Zero problems. No doubt 99% or more users have the same trouble-free experience.

Were you rooted? Custom recovery? Were you on 4.3 JWR66Y? Any warnings or errors? Trying to figure out what's going wrong with the builds.

Upvote 0
It's looking that way.

What surprised me was the utter, complete failure to recover; previous failed OTAs (because of rooting and/or modified systems) had tended to be recoverable often by simply rebooting, which is why I had no qualms about accepting this one. If it failed I would fix whatever it was complaining about and retry, just as I did with 4.3. Not this time though.

Upvote 0
Haven't had any of those issues. So far, I haven't noticed any real issues or incompatibilities..

You beat me to it. Given all the tales of woe, I thought it worth pointing out to people that this update can be painless.

For people who do have problems, it might be worth investigating what it is on the Nexus 4 that could cause their issues. There have already been various suggestions here, but what about apps? Could they upscrew an installation and create these symptoms?

If that is a possibility, it would also help if those who don't have problems could post a list of installed apps, but I would not know how to create one.

Upvote 0
How do you choose to use ART instead of dalvik?

Go to Settings -> About Phone. At the bottom where it says Build, tap that repeatedly until it says you are now a developer. IIRC it's 7 times. Then go back out to the Settings menu, and right above About Phone, you will see Developer Options. Go into that menu and somewhere near the top it will say Select Runtime. Press that and switch to ART. This will require a reboot of the phone which will take quite a while depending on how many apps you have. It's recompiling them so that it has them ready whenever you use them.

Reactions: ooberandy
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones