• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Laptops or Netbooks or Tablets.

Where is all this going. What is fading out. Who is taking over? Product reccomendations please

I'd have to say that the netbook market is going to be eaten up by the tablet market. I really don't see it continuing for years to come. Laptops will definitely stay for a long while.

Product recommendations? You need to be MUCH more specific than that. Do you want the best product with $3000 or $1000? Do you want a high performance laptop or far more portable and high battery life? Are you purchasing very soon or a couple months from now? etc.

Upvote 0
I also reckon full sized laptops are definitely here to stay. Tablets will take over from netbooks for certain uses, like armchair content consumption. Netbooks will be around as well for the foreseeable future

I use a netbook in the classroom, mainly because it's small, light and easy to carry around. I can't see any of the current generation of tablets taking it's place any time soon.
Reasons been:
(1) I can't plug the classroom VGA projector into a tablet.
(2) I touch type without looking at the keyboard, this is something I can't do with an onscreen virtual keyboard.

Upvote 0
I also reckon full sized laptops are definitely here to stay. Tablets will take over from netbooks for certain uses, like armchair content consumption. Netbooks will be around as well for the foreseeable future

I use a netbook in the classroom, mainly because it's small, light and easy to carry around. I can't see any of the current generation of tablets taking it's place any time soon.
Reasons been:
(2) I touch type without looking at the keyboard, this is something I can't do with an onscreen virtual keyboard.

VGA?!?!?! jk. :p

I agree that netbooks will be the victims. It might not phase out anytime soon but I can mimic a netbook with a tablet and USB KB.

Upvote 0
VGA?!?!?! jk. :p

LOL yes. :)

Actually it's more than just a 'VGA projector', it's an interactive electronic whiteboard system. The software is Windows only though. :( I would love to be using this thing with Linux.

I agree that netbooks will be the victims. It might not phase out anytime soon but I can mimic a netbook with a tablet and USB KB.

A USB or wireless keyboard is a solution to the on-screen virtual keyboard. But I would also have to find someway of propping up the tablet as well, when I'm in the office preparing materials for classes. Otherwise it's lying flat on the desk.

IMO a tablet and a netbook are different tools for different uses..ergo..I can't replace a hammer with a sickle. ;)

Upvote 0

(1) they'll get to that. Also, I can get a pocket projector with mini-HDMI and hook it up to the EVO already... get with the times :p
(2) docks with full keyboards

Laptops and netbooks are not going to be used forever. Maybe not next year or in 5 years, but tablets will take over, and eye projection and implanted chips will take over that, and something will take over that.

Upvote 0
Im lookin to purchase a laptop or netbook next month. And possibly a tablet in the next couple of years once i find out a little more about them. And im just lookin for a basic laptop something decent under 500 bucks. Just for basic web browsing and managing my website. Nothin major im not gaming or watching movies

Upvote 0
Im lookin to purchase a laptop or netbook next month. And possibly a tablet in the next couple of years once i find out a little more about them. And im just lookin for a basic laptop something decent under 500 bucks. Just for basic web browsing and managing my website. Nothin major im not gaming or watching movies

At my previous school, we were issued HP Minis and unfortunately, we ran into many problems with them even for just web browsing. If anything, I would recommend a smaller laptop with a decent cpu, decent amount of RAM and decent sized hdd. Got my 15.4" Compaq for $300.

Upvote 0
LOL yes. :)

Actually it's more than just a 'VGA projector', it's an interactive electronic whiteboard system. The software is Windows only though. :( I would love to be using this thing with Linux.

A USB or wireless keyboard is a solution to the on-screen virtual keyboard. But I would also have to find someway of propping up the tablet as well, when I'm in the office preparing materials for classes. Otherwise it's lying flat on the desk.

IMO a tablet and a netbook are different tools for different uses..ergo..I can't replace a hammer with a sickle. ;)
There are tablet cases that have a built in-keyboard.:D. I say its easier to turn a tablet into a netbook. Now you have extra portabilty options. However, I'm sure in the future almost all the devices we have will have a touchscreen anyways. Our laptops, desktops, phones our garages ...

Upvote 0
Laptop, Netbook and Tablet have the different segmentation.

I think these devices have different segmentations at the moment. But in the long term, I can see a convergence of netbook and tablet devices happening.
Like the Dell Inspiron Duo, convertible tablet netbook.
Dell officially unveils convertible notebook/tablet, the Inspiron Duo ? New Tech Gadgets & Electronic Devices | Geek.com
This hybrid device though in its current form looks rather clunky and needs more refinements. I would not buy it as it is. But then I currently have no use for a tablet computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones