• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaked 2.1 or Waiting for OTA?

Leaked 2.1 or Waiting for OTA?

• Total voters
did you see all the threads/posts asking for help? OMG it's frozen, it rebooted and i have nothing, what button do i push? i pushed a button and now i have a triangle, etc, etc.

The phone was too cheap, and still is.

Very wide swathe of intellect demographics using the thing. They're seeing the same stuff in the Blackberry forums now that it's cheap.

Upvote 0
This is not my first smartphone. I've had B&W sidekick, 2, 3, TMO Dash (WMO), G1, LG Dare, and now this.
I have everything shut off besides mobile, never searches for service, no social networking updates, and I can't make it to 9am to 5pm on a single charge. That's not a battery problem, that's a OS problem.

Oh, and a Curve and Now storm for work

i have twitter updating, texting a lot, and i can have a charge last me 13 hours.

oh to the OP, im totally waiting cause i dont trust this leaked stuff.

Upvote 0
The thing to remember here is that EVERY OS upgrade -- major or minor, leaked or official -- is going to cause problems for a small subset of users. There will be lots of cases of user error ... and no matter how well an upgrade is tested there will be errors coming from individual situations that haven't been anticipated or tried before. That's just the way it is, and the only alternative to that is never to upgrade anything.

Really, considering the thousands of phones that are undoubtedly using that 2.1 build now, I think the number and scope of error reports we're getting are fairly minor. And I can guarantee that when the "official" 2.1 comes out and people start installing that, there well be error threads aplenty.

Bottom line: it's a mistake to look at the error thread here and assume that the current 2.1 built is fundamentally flawed, or even to assume that is proving more troublesome than the official release will be.

Upvote 0
yeah you want scary pop over to crackberry storm 1 forums and read through some old threads about leaks, upgrades, hybrid builds, hacked together OS's....

i came from that, so this, is like a cakewalk...

I just physically shuddered remembering all of that.

I'm going to go take a shower.....I just feel dirty now.

Upvote 0
Me too, the waiting for ota poll choice should be called the scaredy cats
Better than being a dead kitten?
boom-headshot.jpg

Upvote 0
2.1 has been hands down, fantastic. This is what the Eris should have been out of the box. Favorite features:

1. High quality icons: The original 1.5 icons were pixelated pieces of crap. So pathetic.
2. Google navigation: I used this when I had the Moto Droid, and I couldn't live without it. I used it on a 6 hour trip to DC and an 11 hour trip to Clemson, SC. Both of which, were flawless. Navigation in downtown DC was superb.
3. Market updated: When you start with the Moto Droid, and used the 2.0 + marketplace, then you go and switch to the Eris and have to use the 1.5 marketplace the differences are laughable. Image previews, better organization, UI updated.

+ I keep finding hidden gems that are just awesome. The agenda calendar widget is so useful. I always thought this was missing from 1.5. Another gem are the new features in the camera, same with the browser. Visual bookmarks with the "Navigate" button inside the browser. I'm sure I'll find more, but 2.1 compared to 1.5 is just what the Eris should have been from the start.

My only gripe is I can't find Grooveshark on the marketplace. I have a year paid account with them and wish I could reinstall the app.

Upvote 0
I don't think we will be stuck with this build but we may need to keep doing it manually. I really think that if we can't get OTA with this build if we restore to 2.1, when it is officially released, we won't have a problem but I can NOT confirm this in anyway just a hunch I have. I'm hoping someone here with a little more knowledge on the subject can shed some light on this for me. I did the update anyway I couldn't resist

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones