left att to get an evo, now going back?

Last Updated:

1. amg1322

amg1322 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so when the evos first came out i ditched my iphone and att service. now dont get me wrong i think the evo is amazing and android really is better then an apple. but my sprint service is horrible. i never have decent reception unless im just standing out in the street, its so frustrating. im really thinking about going back to att but im passed my 30 days with sprint. i dont know what to do, suggestions please???

Advertisement
  2. laredo7mm

laredo7mm Well-Known Member

lol...you have crappy reception, but you waited more than 30 days before figuring out it is not going to get any better?...lol

I don't think there is much you can do except call Sprint and see if they will let you out of your contract...

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I've been with Sprint since 1999, and 2 years ago, when I moved to my current home, I happened to be in a dead pocket. Couldn't get Sprint reception at all.

I was about to switch to another provider when they told me about the Airave. It connects to your home broadband and gives you cell signal. It works like a charm.

The standard charge for the Airave is $100 one-time fee, and then $5/mo. Many people have gotten these costs waived when threatening to leave them completely. Tell them that one of your neighbors got their airave free and isn't paying a monthly fee for it.

Info on the airave here: AIRAVE

4. 81_

81_ Banned

plan on spending $200 per line to break your contract.

5. CoachEVO

CoachEVO Well-Known Member

If you let Sprint know the problem, they will more than likely give you an Airrave and wave the fee. They are pretty good about it. Let them know your reception problems...especially in the house.

6. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Well-Known Member

Just sell your EVO for 400 and use that to pay yourself back and pay the ETF. You will be out for the month of service though.

Luckily sprint has $200 ETF AT&T is like 325 now.

7. AsItLies

AsItLies Well-Known Member

Have to agree... you let 30 days go by with crappy reception? Sure, it may not help, but it would be a good idea, to avoid it in the future, to visit why that happened.

All I can say is, my reception is and has been excellent ea place I've lived in more then 10 years. Never had a need for an airrave. But other's have benefited from them, give sprint a call and they may send one to you, free. Ya never know.

8. amg1322

thanks for all the info on the airrave, i did call as many of you suggested, more then once actually but to no avail they were not willing to waive the fee. i find it frustrating to think i pay so much a month to not have at least decent reception everywhere i go, because the main problem is in my home but in a few other places as well very frustrating. if i can get the right money for the phone i may sell it and just pay the fee. unless i can think of any other ideas.

9. YouNoAsian

YouNoAsian Well-Known Member

I actually think that this is an unreasonable expectation. Wireless reception on any carrier will vary in degrees of strength and quality. There is no service that can offer you decent reception in any location. What sprint does offer is a 30 day cancellation period, that will allow you to see if it works for you.

Selling the phone would be the best option in your case.

10. zombdroid

zombdroid Well-Known Member

Look at your home on Sprint's coverage map. If they show you should have service and you don't...don't let them off the hook. Ask to have your call escalated and get management on the phone and explain their map is wrong(if it is).

Worst case, get the Airave or goto Verizon and get the DroidX. I work with a bunch of IT guys that have iPhones and one even has the iPhone 4. They are all jealous of my EVO :D

11. MackNY

MackNY Active Member

I have to ask if you are actually experiencing problems like dropped calls, poor quality, etc or is it just poor signal strength on the indicator?

The reason for that is a lot of companies use different formulas to arrive at their indicator level. IMO, Apple overrates theirs and they basically admitted they were changing the way it reads to reflect a better service indication whether that actually is or isn't the case due to the antenna issue.

Don't get me worng it really does depend on your location and situation but if that is the case, my EVO rarely reads at full strength, my previous phones all seemed to read higher yet the EVO is still the best phone I have ever owned as far as actual call quality, sending and receiving, lack of drops, etc, etc.

In my area I have a few excellent coverage spots as well as very poor one's and the phone does everything at 0-1 bars as it does with 6 and with very little decrease in performance. That even includes when roaming, which I believe is done on Verizon towers so I don't know if going with them makes a huge difference.

12. amg1322

i have looked into the coverage map and checked the areas where i have the most trouble and according to the map i am supposed to have reception. and as you were saying above its not merely that i dont have bars showing reception. but my calls are actually dropping or im just not receiving calls or texts due to lack of service.

13. Reddawg

Reddawg Active Member

So let me get this straight, you want to leave Sprint now after 30 days because of bad reception at your house to go get a phone where the CEO just admitted it will drop calls just about anywhere depending on how you hold it?

What am I missing......

14. heavychevy

heavychevy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was thinking that too, the LAST place I would go is back to ATT to drop all your calls. I'd rather see you go to Verizon and get a Droid X or something. Unless you actually had a good experience with them.

It's rather unbelievable that ATT sells so many phones with such garbage service and terrible plans. It defies logic. Shows how materialistic and fad-crazy the world has become. Advertise it, and people will buy.

15. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

Going to Verizon won't help them if they're dropping calls on Sprint. If you have Verizon coverage then you have Sprint coverage through roaming. My parents live in a rural area that only has Verizon and AT&T service and my EVO works great there roaming onto Verizon. Even get 3G data on it.

16. amg1322

ill be honest, i am looking into other carriers. my first thought is only att bc i get a significant discount on my bill which makes up for lack of other things. but verizon is definitely a competitor bc it can offer me a few android phones that are at least comparable to my evo which i will miss greatly. any suggestions where to sell it or what the best method would be to go about this now?

17. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

18. unbreakableblue

unbreakableblue Member

Could it be a hardware issue? I mean, if you're supposed to have service in the areas you're traveling it could be the phone. Do you know anyone else with Sprint to compare service with?

19. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member

And check to make sure you have roaming on (its free anyway). Since you roam on Verizons towers I can't imagine not being able to make calls or recieve text.

Where are you located? That might help us figure something out too.

20. amg1322

im located in miami, fl. i dont believe its a hardware issue because i have been with two friends with sprint in many of these places where i lack signal and they too have the same problems. my roaming is on, i will be able to make a call but itll drop or texts wont get sent out. and all i keep hearing lately is " i tried to call you a few times but it kept going to voicemail" and im not receiving all of my texts.

21. Lorak

Lorak Well-Known Member

ok, if you have all your roaming options checked. Have you tried updating your prl ?

A few weeks back, all my calls were going to VM. updated the .prl and now everything works great.

Just hard to believe that sprint and verizon don't have coverage in miami.

22. amg1322

i looked into updating the .prl and the phone said the .prl had been updated so hopefully that will help. thank you for the advice. and yes it is very frustrating. granted i dont expect any carrier to have perfect reception all the time anywhere. but not receiving calls or texts is unexceptable.

23. pb pedis

pb pedis Active Member

Something is wrong here. I am also in South Florida, and most in S. Florida would generally agree that the best wireless service here is with Sprint. Miami should have 4G shortly, and I've never had a reception problem when traveling to Miami. It's possible that your building is causing interference with your cell signal, which would explain why you can get a clear signal when you walk out into the street.

24. DucatiDude

DucatiDude Well-Known Member

I left AT&T for the EVO and am not looking back. Sure, no carrier is perfect. But at least now I can make calls. And I'm loving the EVO. I think Apple jumped the shark with the iP4.

25. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your having this problem. I find it weird tho. I have people with the Iphone and they drop a lot of CALLS! Sprint is overall has pretty good reception. I think you just want your Iphone back. There's nothing wrong with that. If you waited past your 30 days it must not be that bad. I hope it works out for you.