• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help LG G2 stuck in SAFE MODE even after factory reset

dek64

Lurker
May 27, 2015
I have an LG G2 which has encountered a couple problems having me wondering if I have a hardware issue rather than software

1. Primary issue is that device is stuck in SAFE MODE and I cannot get out of it
2. Randomly while sitting untouched my phone will start snapping photos repeatedly untill I kill the camera app

I followed every instruction I could find to get the phone out of SAFE MODE with no success. Since I have it backed up I decided to go ahead and do a factor reset, cleaning out all apps and data. Even on the first reboot after the reset the phone came up in SAFE MODE and both problems described above continue after the reset.

Problem began within the last 24 hours and I have not installed any new apps in the past couple of weeks.

If I can get out of safe mode I have not problem rebuilding but I cannot event get that step successfully.

Any ideas?

Have you tried to get into recovery mode?If not try and once your in there.Clear dalvik cache and Data/Cache.
Just out of curiosity see if you can reach download mode:
Here's how;
  1. Your phone must be turned off before starting the steps from this guide.
  2. So, press power button and select “power off”.
  3. Then, press the volume up button on your LG G2.
  4. While you are holding the volume up button, plug in your phone’s USB cable.
  5. Keep pressing the Volume up button until the download mode is being displayed.
  6. Now the phone will install some drivers – it should take around 10 minutes to complete; the best will be to let your device install the mentioned drivers.
  7. Also, when updating your LG G2 by using download mode, don’t unplug the USB cable while the flashing process is running as you can end up in damaging or even in bricking your LG G2.
  8. Now, you can return to Android OS by pressing the power button; keep pressing power button until the LG logo appears – then you can safely unplug the USB cord. If you can get in download mode,You can return to stock: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Upvote 0
Some good suggestions. None of the volume keys are visibly stuck (i can press them and they release) . But I followed AMOCO's suggest to book in recovery mode. I get the simple screen telling me to use the volume keys to select yes or no but pressing them will not change the selection. Since default selection is "No (Exit)" that is the only option I can select.

With the phone booted ack up I can increase volume by pressing the UP volume button but when I press the DOWN volume button there is not change. So it seems like the down volume is not functioning (though I was able to press it along with power to get into recovery mode)

Tried another test. To get into recover mode I powered up by holding POWER/DOWN VOLUME, releasing them at the logo, and then pressing both again. I did another test just pressing and releasing the power button in that manner and I got into recovery mode.

So conclusion - the phone thinks the down volume button is pressed. That would also explain how it just randomly started taking pictures if that button was mapped to the camera. Physically the button is not stuck and I have not case that would be depressing anything. So I think internally on the IC board the down volume must be 'stuck'

So, hardware problem? Not sure I can fix this.

Upvote 0
Yup sounds completely like a hardware problem with the volume button mate (good call Scary).
Not sure how you'd fix that other than taking it apart and giving it a good clean if possible.
I'm guessing it's not under warranty unless you're in Europe?

I agree.

Upvote 0
Yup sounds completely like a hardware problem with the volume button mate (good call Scary).
Not sure how you'd fix that other than taking it apart and giving it a good clean if possible.
I'm guessing it's not under warranty unless you're in Europe?

Nope, not under warranty. Corporate phone plan and I don't like the phone options they provide so I purchased this one used on ebay. Got a good year + out of it.

Upvote 0
Not a particularly difficult fix. IF it genuinely needs replacement, you need one of these for $13 USD:

http://www.repairsuniverse.com/lg-g2-power-volume-button-assembly-replacement.html

If you follow any of the disassembly vids you can get by with skipping all the steps on the lower half of the phone. Remove the upper dust cover which shields the mobo, cams, etc. Unplug all the ribbon connectors on the upper half of the phone excluding the front facing cam. On either side of the volume buttons, pry up the 2 square connectors which are the upper pieces of the dock port assembly. This leaves only the volume button assembly remaining. Swap that out with the new part. Reassemble in reverse order and done.

Tools required:
  • Rear cover removal tool though a guitar pick or similar will suffice in a pinch.
  • small jewelers screwdriver set for upper dust cover removal. If you don't have a small enough phillips which many inexpensive sets do not have, you can substitute a 3/64" flat blade from the same set as it'll fit into the phillips head latitudinally and work just fine.
  • Plastic spudger tool to pry up the top pieces of the dock port assembly.
Any questions just ask. I've torn many a G2 down to it's individual parts more times than I'd like to remember.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones