• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LG Nexus 4 - FM radio app (the non-internet streaming type)

rmdr2

Lurker
Feb 9, 2013
Chaps

Just got my shiny new LG Nexus 4 - very pretty upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy S. However, I am unable to find a bog-standard, old school FM radio controller (like my Samsung Galaxy had).

I have seen plenty of streaming FM/DAB radio apps which, of course, use bandwidth. I just want a simple FM radio app that will allow me to tune into FM frequencies.

I have read some articles that suggest the LG Nexus4 is not capable of being used as a conventional radio

Anyone got an answer that can help?

rmdr2

Just used streaming radio (TuneIn) for the first time on my Nexus 4. Terrible! I live in the middle of a capital city with excellent mobile phone reception (as depicted by the signal bars). The number of times the transmission stopped to buffer was ridiculous!!! What was wrong with including a standard FM tuner in the phone?

Upvote 0
Just used streaming radio (TuneIn) for the first time on my Nexus 4. Terrible! I live in the middle of a capital city with excellent mobile phone reception (as depicted by the signal bars). The number of times the transmission stopped to buffer was ridiculous!!! What was wrong with including a standard FM tuner in the phone?

Most of the time it's because of space.

Upvote 0

2 things you can try - in setting increase the buffer time to 30 seconds and also choose a lower bit rate stream after selecting the station in options.

That should help reduce those problems.

Reactions: andrews317
Upvote 0

Good question - seems Google people don't believe FM is required in the 21st century. I don't think they've ever put FM radios in their phones.

Part of the reason I bought an HTC Desire instead of the original Nexus was that, although they're essentially the same phone, the Desire had an FM radio.

I then never really used the radio because the reception is so dire. You think a bit of buffering is annoying, try only hearing every third word. This time, I didn't really care that the N4 didn't have an FM radio.

Upvote 0
disappointed that no FM chip on nexus 4 or 5! however tune in radio is an excellent app for streaming radio!.... if you are prepared to pay for it! it's true free version is naff, buffers quite poorly. however paid version isn't going to break the bank, has some amazing stations, can record, is good sound quality and if you want to stream via data you can change the freq. etc. so it uses a minuscule amount of data to stream. also stoked that I was able to redownload it to new phone! Love it!!!! 5 stars!

Upvote 0
I know this is not entirely related to this thread but for another alternative, Also great for discovering new music, often not even signed yet, check out Mi******, it also has a sister app called mixdownload which allows you to download the mixes to your phone using the app itself or your phones native downloader! it's amazing, would highly recommend following the user Hifi4Lo5 I might have got that wrong but he/she makes amazing Indy mixes! youll know you've the right one when you see the mix tape;-)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones