• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Optimus Elite Root For Beginners on Windows 7

wyliee

Jul 17, 2012
Hello everyone, this was my first root and it was very difficult for me and took me a couple weeks of patience to understand what I was doing. I would like to give credit to Jcase, WhisperPntr, and Tejer. There guides just did not include enough information for any first time rooters to understand, and had typos in the commands for command prompt which messed me up pretty bad. Not trying to offend anyone and everyone worked very hard to make this happen.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGING YOUR PHONE. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Step 1 - Getting your MSL

Ok on your android lets go to google play store and download any wifi tethering app and run it. This will mess your phone up making an error code 67 keep popping up, to fix this we need to call Virgin Mobile 1-888-322-1122. Tell them you downloaded a wifi tethering app and you keep getting an error code 67, They will have to give you your MSL code to factory data reset your phone, make sure you write it down.

Step 2 - Download Android SDK and install Correctly

Ok lets go to Android SDK | Android Developers and download but don't install just yet.

We need to download Java Development tools to install Android SDK so lets go to Oracle Java Development Kit 7 Downloads

Click accept License agreement. Download and install for Windows x86

Now That we have download and installed Java, lets go back to our download of Android SDK and Install it, During install name the Folder "android-sdk-windows" and put it in your C drive.

After your done. lets go to our C drive and open android-sdk-windows. Now double click on SDK Manager, once it is running we need to install some packages. The only packages you need is the top 2 and one of the bottom ones "android sdk tools", "android sdk platform-tools", and "google usb driver"

After packages are installed we need to edit our environmental settings. Go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced System Setting

Under ADVANCED tab click Environmental settings, under system variables scrolls down to path and hit edit. WARNING, DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING JUST ADD TO IT. Copy and paste at the end of your path

;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools;C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

OK we have successfully installed Android SDK

Step 3 - Download USB driver

LG LS696 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA

Download driver, then install, then restart your computer. I'll wait.....

Step 4 - Download Files For Root

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/773o5p0dhod4nsa/K_o35DUlf-

Step 5 - Setting up Files

Start out by unzipping the files you just downloaded. Unzip the VM696-Root-AndroidPolice.zip and the LG-LGNPST12.rar. View the files you just unzipped with the LG-LGNPST12.rar and install the LGNPST_General_v1.2_Lab_Version file. After completion, reboot your computer. Go back to the extracted files and install LGNPST_Components_Ver_5_0_12_0 and then LGNPST_GenericModels_Ver_5_0_10_0.
Note: there should also be a folder titled

This guide rocks! I was having issues with some of the other ones but that first step of calling virgin mobile worked. I had to be on the line for 15 minutes or so. The first level tech support couldn't help but second level gives you the MSL make sure you write it down. I wrote down the ##786## too for initiating the restore. You don't really need that part though. After getting the root I recommend installing volume plus. I have to turn it down sometimes now :). But anyway I can confirm this is working and well thank you very much!

Upvote 0
I dont have the software to create a screen shot sorry, just go to the start menu and search "device manager" open it up and you should see ports listed, make sure you do this in download mode on your android by powering off, then start in download mode by pressing in both volume buttons and plugging in the computer. also make sure you have the usb driver, take note of your com port number, then, unplug your phone take the battery out and put back in and reboot normal. now type into your androids dialer ##3424# and then hit the dial button as if making a call. A prompt should pop up that will ask for your MSL. then plug your phone back in and there should be your ports listed again, make sure you change the com ports to match

Upvote 0
Guys,

I think I screwed up majorly. I rooted my LG Optimus via steps above and everything went great. But then I wanted to get rid of some system apps, such as Google+, Youtube, etc... and I removed them via Root Uninstaller successfully but then for some reason I screwed up and removed the Launcher app.
When I did that, the screen went black and after rebooting the phone, phone is now stuck on red Virgin Mobile wallpaper screen (after that girl is done dancing).

I tried doing hard reset by holding Volume down + Power and that did not help. After I do hard reset, phone boots up so I am able to see signal bars, but screen is completely dark and there are no icons and I cannot do anything else except turn up or down volume.
Since USB debugging is turned off, I am unable to push launcher app via ADB command.

Any of you know what else I could try before buying a new phone?

Upvote 0
Guys,

I think I screwed up majorly. I rooted my LG Optimus via steps above and everything went great. But then I wanted to get rid of some system apps, such as Google+, Youtube, etc... and I removed them via Root Uninstaller successfully but then for some reason I screwed up and removed the Launcher app.
When I did that, the screen went black and after rebooting the phone, phone is now stuck on red Virgin Mobile wallpaper screen (after that girl is done dancing).

I tried doing hard reset by holding Volume down + Power and that did not help. After I do hard reset, phone boots up so I am able to see signal bars, but screen is completely dark and there are no icons and I cannot do anything else except turn up or down volume.
Since USB debugging is turned off, I am unable to push launcher app via ADB command.

Give me some time to do some research, i believe there is a way to flash it and bring it back somehow, i have read a few through out the post

Upvote 0
icon1.gif
[FIX] Boot Loops (Please post yours)
Note that this is mostly for people who have rooted and are in the process of flashing recovery, etc. to their phone. If your phone is freezing, randomly rebooting, and feels hot to the touch etc. this is likely a hardware issue. You can rule out software issues by going into recovery (from a powered off phone press and hold back, volume down then power) and factory resetting. If that doesn't work, return the phone asap.

Please post in this thread your boot loop fixes and when I have time I'll credit you and include all in here for easy diagnosing.

1. LG Logo Boot Freeze/Loop
    • Install LG drivers and QPST (should not require root)
      1. Start phone in download mode (power off phone, Hold down volume rocker, connect usb cable)
      2. Open up QPST Configuration
      3. Remove existing ports and add the auto-detected one
      4. Open up Memory Debug app and then click restart phone.
  2. VM Animation Loop
    • Factory Reset
      • Start up the phone in Recovery Mode (hold Volume Down, Power until it starts in recovery mode)
      • select factory reset.

Upvote 0
Guys,

Try downloading/installing a launcher (for example holo launcher) from the Play Store website directly to your phone using a PC. https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5tb2JpbnQuaG9sb2xhdW5jaGVyIl0.

You may be able to install it directly to your phone if you already have used the Play Store before. You might have to click the home button after it installs to choose it/set it as default.

Reactions: wyliee
Upvote 0
is there any other way to root this phone? i have downloaded 2 of the 3 required files 4 times from 4 different mirrors at mirrorstack and one winrar says is corrupt each time and gives the same error the other file stops downloading at 58% on all mirrors i tried. I am guessing that its my ignorance or just plain bad luck. Any help is appreciated

Upvote 0
is there any other way to root this phone? i have downloaded 2 of the 3 required files 4 times from 4 different mirrors at mirrorstack and one winrar says is corrupt each time and gives the same error the other file stops downloading at 58% on all mirrors i tried. I am guessing that its my ignorance or just plain bad luck. Any help is appreciated
which one's? my computer downloaded them just fine, maybe try 7zip?

Upvote 0
Hey guys and gals. I am having a issue with the LGPST program. I am unable to press the start button and begin the process. I'm wondering if its because of my system or that I'm using a netbook with Windows 7 starter to do the rooting. Any help would be well appreciated.
did you type the commands in command prompt to register everything?

Upvote 0
Yes I did, the problem doesn't lie in the registry. I literally can't see below the PRL check box in LGPST. All attempts to change resolution, magnify, move the taskbar, etc. have ended in failure. I can't figure out why I can't see the bottom of the program...It's beyond frustrating
Im trying to think what may cause this... maybe a bad download? Im assuming you followed the instructions properly and double checked everything, maybe try running in compatibility mode? although i did not need to do this. and you are clicking on LGPST and not General correct?

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying, I'm on my phone and can't remember the names of the ones that give trouble, but I do remember they were both close to 160 Mb each. I will try the zip program you mentioned and being there is a one click deal in the works I may check into it.
i can email you the downloads just send me a private message with your email in it, i have work at 5 and get off around 930 so if you havnt figured it out by then ill email it to you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones