• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Locale is $10??!

I'm not completely turned off by the $10 price tag. But as a potential customer, the price tag concerns me because if not enough people buy the app, the developer might stop development and/or support. I don't want to spend $10 on an app that I foresee being unsupported within a year or two.

...Technically in my experience the app does work but just seems to be crippled by a lack of logic. I need situation with AND logic, I also need situations which need just OR logic. However with my last experience with the program the only logic was just AND. NOT operations would be nice but with a dev team who seems to be unwilling just to implement OR operations I am afraid that would be way to much to ask...

An OR condition can be easily implemented on the user's end by specifying multiple situations. I understand the desire to have OR login available in the app, and avoid having many otherwise unnecessary situations, but I think introducing additional logic options in the app might get too confusing for some users.

Upvote 0
Originally Posted by InstantKarma
Quick Profiles doesn't appear to toggle GPS, which is a shame. It'd be perfect if it did.
Yeah it needs a few more options like the ability to turn off the mobile data network. But together with that+the android power widget+ APNDroid I think I have most bases covered.

Quick Settings, free, no ads.

Top of screen, always showing:
... phone freespace: xx% (xxxMB)
... sd card freespace: (ditto)
... battery icon with percentage showing

Settings:
brightness level
ringer
bluetooth
wi-fi
mobile data
volume control
... ringer
... notification
... media
... alarm
... voice call
... system
gps receiver

Upvote 0
Well I downloaded the beta version of this and it has been working fine until recently. It seems to be resetting my phone when it finally decides to go on. Well I was going to uninstall it but could not find it on my downloads page. I managed to disable it using the app but would like to remove it from my Eris all together. Any ideas why it doesn't show up on my downloads page?

Upvote 0
Well I downloaded the beta version of this and it has been working fine until recently. It seems to be resetting my phone when it finally decides to go on. Well I was going to uninstall it but could not find it on my downloads page. I managed to disable it using the app but would like to remove it from my Eris all together. Any ideas why it doesn't show up on my downloads page?
Go to settings, applications, manage apps.

Upvote 0
What would this accomplish, besides keeping each of us busy for 5-10 minutes?

Just out of curiosity... what would happen if you downloaded and paid for a program, backed up the APK, uninstalled it, disconnected from the web, then re-installed the APK. Would the Market still find it and make sure you were recharged? I'm not suggesting anybody do this, but I would genuinely like to know.

Upvote 0
LocationBot is only 0.99 British pounds and can set WiFi, volume, auto-sync, vibrate etc according to your location. The free version LocationBotLite allows 2 locations to be configured e.g. HOME and WORK. Location is taken from GPS (if available), or network (fallback when GPS unavailable).

It's an ongoing project (at time of writing) so I'd be grateful for any feedback.

http://zurloid.comuf.com/locationbot.html

Upvote 0
I bought it. Haven't been using it though after the first couple days.

My main problems is that I'm using an Evo and sheparding the battery throughout the day; but Locale constantly 'peeks' to tell where it is and drains the battery.

Plus, I couldn't figure out how to do 'negative' rules- It was easy to set up, "If I'm at home, then turn on wifi", but I couldn't set up the reverse, "If I'm not at home, turn off wifi"

Plus plus, the rules I did have set up didn't always work. I'd hoped for fire-and-forget rules to ensure never having the ringer go off at work, but that didn't work out so hot.

Upvote 0
I bought it. Haven't been using it though after the first couple days.

My main problems is that I'm using an Evo and sheparding the battery throughout the day; but Locale constantly 'peeks' to tell where it is and drains the battery.
I've had "Setting Profiles" chugging away for 36 hours and haven't seen it register on my Battery Usage dashboard. Given that I've got profiles set up that aggressively turn stuff off that I don't need at certain locations (Wi-Fi, GPS, Screen Timeouts, etc.), I'm sure this has been a net power savings for me.

Upvote 0
Looks interesting. Does it work with a CDMA phone? When looking at its description in the Market, it says APN is not designed for CDMA. Not being a techno junkie, does this mean it won't work right for, say, the DInc on Verizon?

Inkdesigner

Quick Settings, free, no ads.

Top of screen, always showing:
... phone freespace: xx% (xxxMB)
... sd card freespace: (ditto)
... battery icon with percentage showing

Settings:
brightness level
ringer
bluetooth
wi-fi
mobile data
volume control
... ringer
... notification
... media
... alarm
... voice call
... system
gps receiver

Upvote 0
As long as this thread has already been brought back from the dead, I'll mention that Tasker is now available in the Market at a much lower price than Locale and with a lot more functionality.

If you're okay with installing off-Market apps, there is a 14-day trial of Tasker available here:

Tasker for Android

If you're the Market-only type, you can still get the safety net of the Markets 24-hour return policy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones