• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lock Screen Replacements

I too bought WidgetLocker, but un-installed it within 5 minutes when I found that hitting the HOME button disables the lock screen - kind of pointless. Emailed the dev but no response yet. Did you find this?

On a side note....I was most surprised to see I'd been refunded the $0.99 when I un-installed the application. Very good service, just wondering what the extent of that refund is. If the guys un-install their apps 2 years down the line I wouldn't expect a refund...so it must be time specific?

Yeah I noticed that but personally I like it for one reason: I don't have to put a battery widget on my homescreen. When I am charging if I want to see what % charge I am at I just look at the default lockscreen. It would be a problem if the home button unlocked the phone but since it just switches to the default lockscreen I find it can be useful.

And you can uninstall any paid app for a refund within 24 hours

Upvote 0
I too bought WidgetLocker, but un-installed it within 5 minutes when I found that hitting the HOME button disables the lock screen - kind of pointless. Emailed the dev but no response yet. Did you find this?

Hi CeePeeBee,

I'm the dev of WidgetLocker. I get a lot of emails but I'm pretty sure I've responded to all of them. Could you email me again and confirm the address is kevin at teslacoilsw.com ? Or post here, I'll keep an eye on the thread.

As for the home button, in the current version you're asked to assign WLocker Helper as your Home, then this can block the home button at the lock screen, or allow it, depending on your preference.
WidgetLocker Frequently Asked Questions | TeslaCoil Software

Upvote 0
Is there any way to add an 'If Found' screen?

Using GOTO you can add your name to the lockscreen, so I guess you could just type your "if found" message there and it would show up on the lock screen.

You can hide it too so that it only shows up if someone presses the 'i' icon...

The text appears on the top bar in the middle of the padlock and the battery status.

featuresmain.png

Upvote 0
Using GOTO you can add your name to the lockscreen, so I guess you could just type your "if found" message there and it would show up on the lock screen.

You can hide it too so that it only shows up if someone presses the 'i' icon...

The text appears on the top bar in the middle of the padlock and the battery status.

featuresmain.png

I downloaded this and uninstalled. Not much customization to it and the pictures I select for a background get really stretched vertically. Not bad but needs work.

Upvote 0
the pictures I select for a background get really stretched vertically. Not bad but needs work.

Yeah, I noticed that about the backgrounds. Stretches the image vertically to fit the screen. Looks really bad if the source image is a landscape image, the effect isn't as bad if the image is portrait.

Like you said needs work but it's an encouraging start.

Upvote 0
Like you said needs work but it's an encouraging start.

I'm one of the developers of GOTO and just wanted to post so everyone knows we're actually reading your comments and feedback and taking notes. ;)

We are aware of the issue with the backgrounds and are currently working on an update to improve the experience and add more customization options. You can check our website for details as they become available and we're always just an e-mail away.

Thanks for your support!

Reactions: GrandMasterB
Upvote 0
I've been looking for a good lock screen replacement. The only two I found were LockBot and Lock 2.0. I did a quick search and didn't find any suitable replacement threads.

LockBot was great, but a bit expensive and the reviews aren't that good. Lock 2.0 didn't have the options I wanted so I returned it. Are there any others out there?

We have two on the Market:

"ICE: In Case of Emergency" makes emergency contacts and medical data available while the phone is locked. Appventive: ICE: In Case of Emergency

"Executive Assistant" allows you to preview email, agenda, missed calls, SMS messages, Google Reader, Twitter, and Facebook, all while the phone is locked. Appventive: Executive Assistant

Just search for Appventive or scan the QR code in my profile to find them. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
I'm the dev of WidgetLocker
I'm one of the developers of GOTO
We have two on the Market

We're quite the collection of lockscreen devs all gathered into this little thread :).

Don't like Lockbot Pro.

Can't use my alarm clock. It will go off, but when I unlock the screen it's gone and no way to turn it off. Failapp.

In defense of LockBot, this is really a bug in HTC Sense. They put the alarm on the keyguard and then provide NO other way to turn it off. Even if the user hasn't dismissed the system keyguard. They should at least make a notification to display the alarm popup. Or let it be turned off in the clock app.

Anyway, WidgetLocker handles the Sense alarm clock now, the alarm popup shows just like if you have the phone on while the alarm goes off.

Upvote 0
I downloaded this and uninstalled. Not much customization to it and the pictures I select for a background get really stretched vertically. Not bad but needs work.

Just to add that as from this morning GOTO has been updated and all these issues seem to have been fixed.

Background images can now be cropped by the app to fit the screen and there's a new 'settings' button in the app drawer where you can select various customisation options, like specifying which SMS or email app to use on the lockscreen.

Reactions: afonseca
Upvote 0
Just to add that as from this morning GOTO has been updated and all these issues seem to have been fixed.

Background images can now be cropped by the app to fit the screen and there's a new 'settings' button in the app drawer where you can select various customisation options, like specifying which SMS or email app to use on the lockscreen.

@Rotor, thanks for posting the update!

We've had a couple of more releases since then and are continuing to take customer feedback to make improvements. There's a new support community we created for GOTO specifically to gather and prioritize user suggestions, help with any issues and answer questions. Please stop by:
Community-powered support for InnoWeb Tech, LLC

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm one of the developers of GOTO and just wanted to post so everyone knows we're actually reading your comments and feedback and taking notes. ;)

We are aware of the issue with the backgrounds and are currently working on an update to improve the experience and add more customization options. You can check our website for details as they become available and we're always just an e-mail away.

Thanks for your support!

I bought GOTO and it's very cool. I wanted to know if it was possible to have a background on the lock page but have it default to another wallpaper once the phone is unlocked?

Upvote 0
Put this on my wife's Incredible and she says it keeps locking up on her. She called me today and asked how to uninstall.

@Rotor, thanks for posting the update!

We've had a couple of more releases since then and are continuing to take customer feedback to make improvements. There's a new support community we created for GOTO specifically to gather and prioritize user suggestions, help with any issues and answer questions. Please stop by:
Community-powered support for InnoWeb Tech, LLC

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I bought GOTO and it's very cool. I wanted to know if it was possible to have a background on the lock page but have it default to another wallpaper once the phone is unlocked?

Yes, custom backgrounds is one of our features. Please visit our website to learn more. You can also post to our support forum if you have additional questions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones