• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Lollipop is the worst update EVER!

lel4mayor

Lurker
Apr 15, 2015
I have had the galaxy s3, s4, and s5 and absolutely loved it until this latest update. Hate is an understatement when it comes to this update and I have officially given up on android for this. I had a lot of issues with iphones which made me move to samsung, but compared to Google's decision to force this update on us as android owners, I will be switching back to iPhones. :mad:

Reactions: Rajat1988
I'll admit, I'm not the biggest fan of Lollipop either, but why don't you like it? Maybe we can help?
To start, the phone overheats a lot after using it for no longer than 5 minutes. If my phone is on silent, my alarm doesn't go off, unlike before, when I would put my phone on silent through the night, the alarm would still ring at the volume you set. Apps crash and the phone freezes. I had thought i had used too much space until I checked and realized i had 4 gigs of free space, so there should be no reason to run slower. Before this update, the phone ran smoothly and now it's extremely glitchy and tempermental it seems.

Upvote 0
A number of the glitches you're seeing could probably be fixed by factory resetting.

Whilst this deals with a different device, this post can explain why: http://androidforums.com/threads/lollipop-update-factory-resets.885217/

Grab Helium from Play, backup your apps and data with that and go for a reset.

I'm not sure about the alarm problems, maybe someone who's using Lollipop as their daily driver on a Samsung can assist.

Upvote 0
That sounds like the common 4.x --> 5.x upgrade problems. I was getting similar problems on my Nexii before the Factory Data Reset. They have both been way better afterwards. Due to a lack of use for unrelated reasons I got 5+ days of standby on my 2013 N7 on 5.02. That's just one example of an improvement once I did the FDR.

Upvote 0
I have had the galaxy s3, s4, and s5 and absolutely loved it until this latest update. Hate is an understatement when it comes to this update and I have officially given up on android for this. I had a lot of issues with iphones which made me move to samsung, but compared to Google's decision to force this update on us as android owners, I will be switching back to iPhones. :mad:

I've never actually heard of Google forcing any device to update to Lollipop, not even Nuxus, any updates are voluntary and up to the device's owner, whether he or she wishes to take them or not. However I've heard of carriers doing it though. Forcing Lollipop on their customized and subsidized phones. Do you have a Verizon or Sprint phone or something? Anyway apart from Nexus, just about all Lollipop updates come from the manufacturers and/or carriers, not Google themselves. There's many devices that will never receive Lollipop.

If you go back to iPhones, obviously you'll be at mercy of whatever Apple wishes to do with future versions of iOS....no choice! :)

I seem to remember similar threads about Kitkat upgrades, and then Jellybean before that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My work iPhone4 had a pending update for months,but,it was never forced upon me,meaning an ever-present reminder to update or suffer the consequences. :p
Just a one-time pop-up & an * in the settings as a reminder that it's available for download.
Funny thing was,it was an OTA,but,the device was so gimped for storage,it wasn't possible to update OTA,until superceded w/another update to address that issue,about 3 months later........ :rolleyes:

Anyhoo,just wanted to share that,thought it was worth a chuckle or two.:D

As for Android/Google forcing updates,as mikedt hinted at,the forced update is more of a carriers bidding,regardless of make/model/OS.

Upvote 0
My work iPhone4 had a pending update for months,but,it was never forced upon me,meaning an ever-present reminder to update or suffer the consequences. :p
Just a one-time pop-up & an * in the settings as a reminder that it's available for download.
Funny thing was,it was an OTA,but,the device was so gimped for storage,it wasn't possible to update OTA,until superceded w/another update to address that issue,about 3 months later........ :rolleyes:

Anyhoo,just wanted to share that,thought it was worth a chuckle or two.:D

As for Android/Google forcing updates,as mikedt hinted at,the forced update is more of a carriers bidding,regardless of make/model/OS.

Often I read something ranting, Google this, Google that. And then dig deeper, it's not Google's fault at all, it's Samsung or Verizon or China Unicom etc. who's the culprit. :)

Upvote 0
It's always worth distinguishing between lollipop itself and a particular manufacturer's implementation (e.g. my alarm does still work in silent mode, but I have a HTC rather than a Samsung).

But yes, back up and try a reset, or at least clear all caches. A major OS update can leave a few things tangled up, so a clean out and restart can improve stuff a lot.

Upvote 0
Not quite accurate. The Verizon OTA will download the update and place it on your phone. It then asks for permission to install it. You do not have to give it permission.

What you could complain about if you are un-root-ed is that the uninstalled distribution will take up a lot of storage and you never plan to install it.

... Thom

Upvote 0
Not quite accurate. The Verizon OTA will download the update and place it on your phone. It then asks for permission to install it. You do not have to give it permission.

What you could complain about if you are un-root-ed is that the uninstalled distribution will take up a lot of storage and you never plan to install it.

... Thom

UNLESS Verizon has changed their stripes, you can only deny the install a few times. Then later, without out giving it permission, it is installed.

Every upgrade in the last 20 years prior to Lollipop has been forced on all of my Verizon phones, even with me clicking on NO every time.

Currently, I have turned off config.updater and Samsung.updater in addition to setting updates via WiFi only. I don't use Wifi anymore.
Knocking on wood, I have not even seen a message to upgrade from 4.4.4 to Lollipop.

I also turn off Data and WiFi everytime the phone is asleep with MacroDroid. If it cannot see the internet, it can't do the download.
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi & Data OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns Data ON

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Every upgrade in the last 20 years prior to Lollipop has been forced on all of my Verizon phones, even with me clicking on NO every time.

Currently, I have turned off config.updater and Samsung.updater in addition to setting updates via WiFi only. I don't use Wifi anymore.

Were all of these Samsung phones?

I seem to recall an OTA being forced (once) on a Motorola phone with Verizon and the outcry was so great it never happened again.

(I have been in the Motorola soak tests for all this time and never personally tested the issue.)

... Thom

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
No, only the last two have been Samsung.
I have an 'S' model and the current pair of S5 phones.

The others have been Nokia (most of them), a Motorola flip phone, a Casio, a few others I picked up off eBay.

I truly hope that they have finally listened to the customers and stopped forcing updates down our throats. I will never use Lollipop on my S5, I have seen enough heartache and noticed the changes in the way things are set up to know that it will never satisfy me. I absolutely hate the 5.0 color scheme and the so called flat app look. Not for me.

The S5 with 4.4.4 has very sharp, solid, bright colors that I can see in sunlight.... which for me being pastel color blind is great.

Last night, I had a sudden "fright" when my wife's S5 suddenly went bright red just like as if it was upgrading.... then I noticed a notification about Visual Voice Mail which I had refused and turned off so many times, I am getting very angry about it.

On my personal S5, I turned Visual VM off once, and it was done. Not so with my wife's phone. It insists it is going to upgrade and I just keep ignoring it. I log into my VZW account online and it is turned off there...

Upvote 0
Lollipop is NOT the worst update ever! It has been buggy for some, but it might be the best update yet. I see it this way...

As far as the new Material Design UI elements, I could pick at this and that, but overall I like it. The animations are cool and subtle enough to not be annoying. I like some of the colors, others suck. Not really a big deal though because several apps that I use have dark themes or can set custom colors. Hopefully those that don't soon will - Contacts, Messaging, Calendar, Keep - mostly Google stuff, I'm talkin' about you. But I gotta admit, and I didn't think I'd be saying this, I kinda like the continuity across apps that Material Design brings.

Under the hood, ART is definitely a major step forward over Dalvik. And Lollipop has been running trouble-free for me on several devices. No way I'd want to go back to KitKat. I know Lollipop has been a headache for some and you have my sincere condolences. But for me it's probably the biggest step forward Android has ever made in a single leap.

Since Android 1.0 I've seen arguments over whether to upgrade or not. Every time a new update is released you have two groups of users:

1. Those who have to have the latest and greatest. They flash it immediately or if waiting for the OTA it never gets to them quick enough. That's OK, it's part of the fun of foolin' with phones.

2. Those who, after upgrading, hate the new version and want to downgrade. It may be for good reason, it's just not working for them. Maybe they don't like some changes, or change in general. Fine, those are legitimate reasons.

But here's the thing...
Eventually, even those who downgrade do move on. Eventually, they adapt to a newer version. Eventually, either because of hardware, software or both, they have to. Nobody seriously runs Cupcake anymore.

And they DO adapt. They get used to a new version or find ways to customize it to their liking. But some who are complaining about Lollipop now will be wishing they could go back to it after upgrading to M&M or whatever the next version is called. It happens every time.

I would rather put time and effort into learning, adapting and moving forward than trying - and inevitably failing - to stay put. Mobile technology is moving much too fast for that to be sustainable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
5.0 seemed to be a lot of problems to a lot of people. It seemed reminiscent of the pain we had with the Droid Bionic.

I could not go to 5.0 and am waiting for 5.1 to be released for the Turbo and Maxx.

I'm an avid user of Nova Launcher Prime, Pixel Phone Pro, and Tasker. It is likely that I have control over a lot of the look and feel.

On any major system upgrade like 4.4.4 to 5.1 I plan on doing a Factory Data Reset, copying over my backups from the three apps mentioned and then re-downloading 300+ apps from Play Store.

... Thom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PS. @AZgl1500 I've just installed MacroDroid to turn data off/on when screen is off/on and love it, thanks. So simple to use.
I had it running within 3minutes :thumbsupdroid:

I'm glad that it worked out successfully for you.
The simplicity of using it is why I show it in my signature which I only insert when I think it is needed as additional info.

I have about 10 macros that I turn on/off as the need arises.

1) 2200 Notify OFF (and every sound stays off until I unlock the screen in the morning)

2) Cell Tower Log ( occasionally I like to know what cell towers my phone is talking to as I move around )

3) Charge Sound OFF ( activates when Power connected, turns off all sounds, system, etc.... no more beep beeps in the middle of the night while I am trying to sleep )

4 ) Data ON for app ( this is a rare one, but when I need it, it is very useful )

5) Internet OFF ( Screen OFF, turns off DATA and WiFi)

6) Internet ON ( Screen Unlocked, turns on DATA & WiFi )

7) Low Battery Warning ( I have it set at 38% to let me know battery status. Very useful as I use a truckers headset and talk for hours to my buddies who drive for a living )

8) Request Location ( when a SMS is received 'whereareyou' it will turn on the GPS, locate me, and reply to the sender where I am and include a Google Link to map )

9) Ring Volume Max ( I have fumble fingers and keep turning the volume down to zero... can't tell you how many phone calls I missed. No more, this macro sets the Ringer Volume At Max when the screen is OFF)

10) Set Awake Defaults (just like it sounds. When the screen is unlocked, it will preset every audible sound to exactly what I want ) as I have 25% hearing loss, this is extremely important for me.

and there you have it, my MacroDroid command set.

Nova Prime, Textra, Blue Mail, Qi wireless equipped

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

UNLESS Verizon has changed their stripes, you can only deny the install a few times. Then later, without out giving it permission, it is installed.

I can attest that the LG G2/G3 on vzw at minimum - and I'm rather confident that list includes other carriers as well - will force the ota through after several denials. That includes rooted/rom'd/custom recovery'd phones with stock based roms where additional steps to block the updates were not taken. Which consequently has resulted in so many bricks, we could have all built a wall across the US by now. Fortunately, they're all fixable with the proper tools.

Upvote 0
In relation to the OP's problem with the alarm not sounding when on silent, you need to switch to priority notifications whilst the phone is in vibrate mode. Alarms will always sound when in priority mode. (I was concerned about this when my Z3 compact updated yesterday, but I put the phone on vibrate only and set it to priority notifications (in my case alarm only) and hey presto, the alarm sounded as normal this morning.)

Hope this helps a little

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones