• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a "Tradewinds" clone for Android

Anyone remember Tradewinds Tradewinds Download for PC | WildTangent Games ?

I used to play that thing for hours, loved the trading and the fights and buying ships and building a huge fleet. I've been looking for an Android version since I got my Android phone a year ago, but nothing really close.

Is there anything out there that I might be interested in? I tried Pirates and Traders Retro, but it's not even close to what I want.

You should be trying the regular version (not the Retro version) of P&T. It is - if I say so myself - a much better version of the game than Retro (Retro is the first version of the game, "Pirates and Traders" is version 2).

Of course, if the fleet building aspect is what you want, P&T won't deliver that. I deliberately have not included fleet building into P&T; it complicates and unbalances the game far too much, without adding anything significant to the core gameplay (trading, pirating, questing).

The only game that I know of that involves trading fleets on Android right now is "Ports of Call", itself a remake of an old classic PC game. You might want to take a look at that.

Upvote 0
Tradewinds 2 is available on Tablets. It's possible they will be porting it over to some phones now too, since some phones have larger resolutions that the tablets it was made for at the time:

"This game is designed for tablets with 1024x600 screen resolution ONLY. Phones do not have the required graphics resolution"

Amazon.com: Tradewinds 2 (Tablet Edition): Appstore for Android

Upvote 0
Which Nexus? Alot of new phones have that same resolution. Tradewinds 2 was released Novemeber of last year before alot of these phones came out. Not sure when the laste time it was updated though.

Only one Nexus phone with that resolution, the new one. ;)

Just looking at the screenshots, I would be surprised if the graphics work at all well on a <6 inch screen. But they do have an iPhone version, so presumably they will port that at some point, if they think they can make back the money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones