• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Losing my Shrinkage

hd1148

Lurker
May 7, 2012
So I have a prevail that is starting to act spotty and I wanted to get a new phone. I talked to Boost and they told me that if I were to either upgrade my phone or get a new prevail, my shrinkage would go up by $5, since I was grandfathered under the old $50 program, and now I would be under the newer shrinkage program.

So I am wondering if anyone knows how I could get around this issue. I am thinking that I would have to clone my phone, or something of the like. ANY HELP would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I raised hell with them and they ended up giving me my $35 a month plan back in the beginning. The only bad thing is that I ended up having to send my Marquee in to the factory for repair. While it was in the shop, I switched service over to an older phone so I would have service. I was told by Boost that I would be allowed to keep my $35 a month plan but when I got my phone back, it was a no go. They absolutely would not give me my $35 plan back. If you ask me, it's a lost cause. If you upgrade you can say bye to the $35 plan. Sad but true.

Reactions: hd1148
Upvote 0
I had my Prevail die on me and had to turn it back to Best Buy. I explained this to Boost and that I'm waiting to get it back and had to use a loaner phone.

Boost checked to see that I was using the Prevail in the past and keep me at the $35. When the put the new phone info in, it did bump me to $40, but they moved me back.

The plan I'm on is called "$35 Friends & Family".

If I was going to pay $40, I think I'd maybe jump to Straight Talk and move to a GSM, since I'd like to have the ability of Talk/Data at the same time.

Upvote 0
I was in a similar scenario awhile back. I wanted to switch to something with more internal memory. This was after Boost rolled out the extra $5 for an Android plan. I spoke to a CSR, basically asking if I switched phones, would I be charged the extra $5. Basically, I was told if Boost had to do the switch for me, I would be charged. If I could get the switch to work online (under Update Handset), then my plan would stay the same. My phone is still plugging along, so I haven't tried this personally. FYI, I did have an issue switching my old iDEN phone to the Prevail online. It didn't take for some reason and I had to call customer support. I'm hoping it isn't an issue to go from one CDMA phone to another.

Upvote 0
I was in a similar scenario awhile back. I wanted to switch to something with more internal memory. This was after Boost rolled out the extra $5 for an Android plan. I spoke to a CSR, basically asking if I switched phones, would I be charged the extra $5. Basically, I was told if Boost had to do the switch for me, I would be charged. If I could get the switch to work online (under Update Handset), then my plan would stay the same. My phone is still plugging along, so I haven't tried this personally. FYI, I did have an issue switching my old iDEN phone to the Prevail online. It didn't take for some reason and I had to call customer support. I'm hoping it isn't an issue to go from one CDMA phone to another.
I just got the evo last week and they didnt even act like they were gonna change my shrinkage status. I asked them even. They said nothing would change and it didnt. Ive been with boost since sept 08 and I always throw that up at them cuz the service isnt really good where I live. They wont activate a iden phone for you anymore. They stopped about 8 months ago. I bought the phone online from amazon and called to activate

Upvote 0
I've had this conversation with Boost as well. My father got a Prevail after I did. I got mine within the first 6-12 months of it coming out into the stores. My father got his later on. The android phones, due to them being a smartphone, have an extra $5 tacked onto the $50/month regardless. The only reason certain Prevail owners were able to keep their plan at $50/month & it didn't get jacked up an extra $5 is because it was a promo special to Boost having their first smartphone. And it was only supposed to apply to the Prevail owners when the phone came out. It was a special promo package. "try our new smartphone & keep your great $50/month plan"
As far as the people tethering, good luck. When Boost catches onto it, you're account will get shut down. Tis the reason I'm not risking it..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones