General Love the droid, but hate the battery?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ebaneezor, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Ebaneezor

Ebaneezor Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Florida
    (This is probably around already, but I wanted to post my experience)

Now I can say I love the eris! I bought Innocell 3500mAh Extended Life Battery
    (bought at Amazon for 57ish each)

And cured the only problem with this phone imo. Typically, I would go thru 2 batteries in a day easy, did not want to shut everything off to use my "smartphone". Invested in two of these batteries (1 for me and 1 for the girlfriend), and I couldnt be happier!

First days use (never plugged in the phone to charge while performing all of the following activities):

started @ 8ish am

1.5 hrs of GPS
    2 hrs of surfing the net
    1 hr of Pandora
    30 or so texted messages
    brightness on full
    WI-FI left on all day
    GPS left on all day
    2 hours of talking on the phone

At 11pm, observed battery power - 50% still left, and happily went to bed :)

The case is a spot on match for feel, color and fits perfectly, very snug. I also found the phone to be more comfortable to hold with the increased size, now just need to find something to do with 4 extra batteries and wall charger, lol.. - that was our first option to solve the battery issue at low cost, but it didnt work out so well - swapping batteries all day and charging all day was annoying. (found a leather pouch style case for 2$ on Amazon as well, as there is no holster style case for this phone with the 3500mah installed)

For whatever its worth, if you hate the Eris battery limitation - you will never be sorry you purchased this.:D

Advertisement

2. donaldb1986

donaldb1986 Active Member

Mar 8, 2010
    East Ridge, TN
    How much bigger does it make the back? It looks huge in the pictures, but I might try it anways

3. hlaalu

hlaalu Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Nice. And I hate to bring up 2.1 in ANOTHER thread, but it pretty much doubled the life of my battery. I don't really use my car charger anymore :)

4. Ebaneezor

Ebaneezor Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Florida
    Here is a good example

[​IMG]

5. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    VIP Member

It really fattens the Eris up. I considered it, but found the 1750, which fits perfectly with the stock battery cover, to give me more than I need in battery usage throughout a typical day.

Darn thing was fifty bux, though.

6. donaldb1986

donaldb1986 Active Member

Mar 8, 2010
    East Ridge, TN
    I wonder how it would compare to the droid thickness wise with this battery in it..

7. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Totally agree. Although I purchased mine at the one day Seidio sale and paid only $40 :p

8. Tamasabian

Tamasabian Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    US/Ohio
    I have noticed that turning off mobile except when you are going to surf or check e-mail etc really makes a huge difference. I can go about 2 full days like that on the stock batt.

9. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    By turning off wireless and mobile, does that just make your phone a phone? I'm at multiple computers all day long and I don't really need email checking or internet. That will allow me calls and texts only? If so, it's kind of what I wanted.

10. Tamasabian

Tamasabian Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    US/Ohio
    That's exactly right. Turning "mobile" to off disables all the auto update features like weather and e-mail and sports scores. So your phone becomes a "phone" only. Calls and texts are all that you will be able to make and receive but it is a godsend for battery life. Just turn it on when you need it.

bjanow likes this.
  11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    VIP Member

..and there's an app/switch you can have right on one of your screens for nearly instant toggling of mobile, wifi and GPS.

bjanow likes this.
  12. bjanow

bjanow Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wow, this is great! Got the Wifi and Mobile switch, albeit separate. Right? Great thanks to you and Tamas.

13. BlueDC2

BlueDC2 Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2010
    Anyone know how I can get the mobile data toggle widget from 2.1 sense over to helix? All the ones in the marketplace take you to the screen to change it in settings, I just want the toggle widget.

[​IMG]

The one next to spare parts in my sense home

14. Thedarksunlight

Thedarksunlight Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    How many more hours do you get outa the phone with it?

Currently with the stock battery I personally get like 6 hours if I am using it with wifi non stop, but overall a day on my typical usage

15. mgreen24

mgreen24 Member

Mar 25, 2010
    North Carolina
    you can long press the end key and turn it off from the popup menu - otherwise please post if you find a widget

16. Snotrocket

Snotrocket Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Maine
    Heres some more comparison pics I made.

HTC Mogul on the left
    Eris with 3500 battery in the middle
    Stock Eris on the right.

The Eris is a really thin smart phone so an extended battery of this size isn't much of a problem.

I love mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Shnuddy

Shnuddy Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Just got it a couple days ago. Yesterday I took it off the charger about 5 am and when I plugged it in last night about 9:30, it still had about 50% left on the battery. Moderate use for the day. A huge difference for me, I would usually hit 50% at about 1:00 with the old battery.

Ebaneezor likes this.
  18. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2009
    California
    I'm perfectly fine with the stock 1300mah battery, it lasts me through the whole day. :D The only thing that pisses me of is the annoying sound the battery makes when I press the back of my phone.